Insurance

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
Curious as to whether it is a good idea to have full coverage for my 03 and 96 wagons? been pondering.

Perfectreign

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS 5-speed
You have to look at the cost vs. risk.

For me, when I bought the 13 year old car, I called my insurance and chatted a bit. For a $6,000 car, it would cost more over a few years for full coverage than the cost of the car itself. I added the basics, and did not get replacement coverage. In 27 years of driving, I've had two accidents, only one of which was my fault. I expect I'll keep the same track record. If someone demolishes my jetta, their insurance will pay, not mine. If i demolish it, I'll get salvage value and move on.

Calculated risk.

Last edited:

powerstrokeless

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V
Thanks,
Both inputs is what I was thinking, but I worry about the other people that would drive these cars. Could actually save lots $ on 3 older cars that have full coverage.

jessabug

Veteran Member
TDI
Hubby's 2001 Jetta TDI, '84 IDI turbo diesel Jetta
Our daily divers always have full coverage, regardless of how old they are. My GTI is our newer one and an '03 (hubby has an '01). Our '84, we don't have full coverage on. But its rarely driven.

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
I run full coverage on my 2003 as I run across deer a lot. If I wreck my car I have to know that I have a chance at replacing it. No insurance and I cannot replace it. Then I have no way to get to work and I have bigger issues.

SD40-2

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Golf 4 dr. 5 speed.
I pay about $20 a month for comp/collision with $500 (0 for glass) deductible I've already gotten one windshield replaced for nothing... worth it to me with all the deer and hail storms we have out here. If it gets hailed out I'll consider pocketing the cash and dropping to liability.

cvairwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 NB 2004 Audi A8L gasser 1999 A4 Avant gasser
You need to run a cost compariason to make the decision. On the bug I don't have it, as the cost for it isn't worth it. Same thing on the truck. Both vehicles, I save the vehicle's values in less than 4 years of comprehensive payments. The exception is the Audi A8L I just bought for the wife. It's a 2004 and the comprehensive is about 5% of the book value. We'll keep it on the Audi until it's value is down to about half of what it is now.