Installed pd150 intake manifold and TIP, lost turbo?

pwe312

TDI
2001 VW Golf
I just swapped on the pd150 intake manifold and TIP including larger maf onto a 2001 ALH. Kept all the egr parts. The car is noticeably louder and I've completely lost the turbo boost. It doesn't seem to be spooling at all.

I tried swapping over the maf sensor from my old maf and it didn't help.

Does the larger maf require a new tune to run correctly?

Car has a vnt17 turbo, pp520 injectors and a rocket chip 3 tune.

All the hoses were reconnected and don't appear to be leaking. It was pretty loud at first startup. Is it possible something got into the turbo and blew it?

Any other possibilities?

blownaway

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 TDI (waiting for my 02M conversion) 99.5 TDI(totalled) 2002 gasser wagon, 2012 Golf
Take it back off and look at the turbo. Did you lose a rag or bolt or anything?

pwe312

TDI
2001 VW Golf
Nothing fell down there while working. Spilled some coolant that's it. Had to leave the TIP loose over night because I tried to do this without actual hose clamp pliers and failed to get I back on. Some bugs could've crawled in I guess.

I'll have to pull it off and check tomorrow.

pwe312

TDI
2001 VW Golf
Actually just pulled the TIP off and checked the turbo. Fins feel fine and turbine spins freely. Doesn't seem like anything got in there.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Larger MAF not Re-scaled in the tune will reduce fuelling by maybe 30%

pwe312

TDI
2001 VW Golf
So I swapped back on the stock TIP and maf, and still no boost. Don't feel any turbo at all and boost gauge doesn't move.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
Check all the Vacuum Hoses. If all good, blank the Vacuum hose at the EGR and at the ASV (separately) and see if its any better. Diaphragm on either of those may have taken a knock in shipping...

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
You said it got loud, I bet you have a boost leak. Did you set the actuator properly?

pwe312

TDI
2001 VW Golf
It's not really louder like from air whooshing. Engine sounds louder and deeper with the usual ticking type sound.

Didn't think I needed to set the actuator since I didn't touch it. Will try to get a look at if it's moving at startup.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Larger MAF requires a tune to work properly. That aside, sounds like you disrupted something w/your vacuum hoses or similar. You say you show NO boost on your boost gauge? If so, most likely a vacuum, actuator, N75 or hose issue.

pwe312

TDI
2001 VW Golf
Check all the Vacuum Hoses. If all good, blank the Vacuum hose at the EGR and at the ASV (separately) and see if its any better. Diaphragm on either of those may have taken a knock in shipping...
So the vacuum hoses seemed ok but when I tried blanking off the egr or the asv (separately) I was able to start getting boost around 3k rpm. Got up around 10psi. But after plugging everything back its still getting same levels. Maybe playing with the hoses loosened something up. Gonna go ahead and try replacing all hoses since the wrapping is frayed and old anyways.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
It's not really louder like from air whooshing. Engine sounds louder and deeper
vanes aren't closing

check all the lines, especially the hard plastic brake booster hose, and the fitting at the vacuum pump

meangreen

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Did you pinch the vent hose on the N75 valve that goes to the airfilter.. my coworker pinched the hose after doing some work on a customer car and had NO power

pwe312

TDI
2001 VW Golf
Getting up to 14psi now at WOT. Starts around 3K rpm. Black smoke every time turbo spools.

Only thing that seemed to help was putting a doggy collar on the rubber elbow pipe that goes into the EGR.

Changed out all the bad looking vacuum lines. No pinches in the hoses. Actuator moves on startup.

Guess N75 valve is next on the list... is it possible the EGR or ASV can cause this? Everything was working fine before the PD150 intake manifold. That doesn't have any moving parts and every hose that was touched has been replaced. Will spilling coolant on the turbo cause the vanes or actuator to stick?

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
If all of the vac hoses check out ok, pull a vacuum on the hose going the the turbo actuator and see if it holds a vacuum. You may have a faulty diaphragm in the actuator.

pwe312

TDI
2001 VW Golf
If all of the vac hoses check out ok, pull a vacuum on the hose going the the turbo actuator and see if it holds a vacuum. You may have a faulty diaphragm in the actuator.
Thanks for the tip. Vacuum held. Should it get stronger with revs?

Tested voltage on the n75 and its within range. But I just recalled that I do get random abs lights here and there. Usually go away with a restart. Related???

Played around with the 2 mafs I have and one is definitely bad. Loses all boost when plugged in and threw a cel. The other makes no performance difference at all and no code. Will go ahead and try a new maf. No idea how both went bad during the intake swap.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
If you're hearing a whoosh sound during boost, that sounds more like a charge piping leak. Check all your piping from the turbo to the EGR for splits, leaks or disconnects.

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
Sure sounds like a badly leaking or broken EGR connecting pipe. Looks like soot on the TIP as well which would be further evidence. Leaking EGR system is a pre-turbine exhaust leak and would explain your symptoms.

pwe312

TDI
2001 VW Golf
Sure sounds like a badly leaking or broken EGR connecting pipe. Looks like soot on the TIP as well which would be further evidence. Leaking EGR system is a pre-turbine exhaust leak and would explain your symptoms.
Thanks! This makes sense since im still smelling coolant and couldn't have spilled that much during the swap. Will get in there again tomorrow.