did a vacuum pump pulled all air out of lines

check on electrical lines are connected

how do I find timing on injector pump, or how to adjust it

did I miss something

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
You didn’t mention whether the pump was locked at TDC as well. If your pump is firing out of sync with cam and crank you’d probably get white smoke and crappy running if any running at all.

The pump sprocket fits a cylindrical “key”.

sonyshox23

TDI
Look
Yes pulled out the old pump, put the new pump, then the key then the sprocket then the lock, then check tdc on the cam and crank then tensioner crank it over twice by hand and everything lined up, then got in the car gave it a start and it just cranks over

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
i know this sounds silly but did you make sure its all electronically connected... its easy to forget the smaller harness or the grounding on the wire harness connection at the head.

was this new pump a used pump from ebay?

the injection pump will lock out at TDC via a key, i use a big bolt i cut the threads off that fits the size of the hole. its very difficult to line it up with the belt off. the trick is to keep the cam bolt finger tight and rotate the crank to line up the IP sprocket. then reset the cam lockout and TDC on the crank / flywheel.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
if everything is working properly, check to see if the QA is doing its sweep. you can do this via VCDS and taking the cover off the QA to visually check its movement. If it is NOT sweeping... either the white wire on the harness is broken (not that uncommon) or the internals of the QA are damaged // wires broken. (not that uncommon)
im just shooting at the hip here

do you have VCDS?

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
Is the pump a direct swap pump for the 1Z or is it a later model pump from an ALH? If so, those connectors are differently pinned.

If you indeed have fuel injection and timing, the only missing components are air and compression to make the engine run.

sonyshox23

TDI
Look
The injector pump was purchased from Pacific Fuel Injection

The 2 electrical connectors are hook up

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
no the pump went bad
What did the pump fail from? Is it possible the injectors got debris in them? Its entirely possible. The nozzles are supper sensitive to foreign material in the fuel.

PassatLife

TDI
1996 Passat Tdi Wagon
Do you hear a click from the pump when you turn the key to on? The QA arm should make a noise. Does the glow plug light illuminate? Could be a bad 109 relay. Pump timing could also be a mile out. My timing was super retarded and my car had a terrible time cold starting when I first put it back together, even though I had locked the pump. Is there white smoke? You can try loosening the pump bolts and rotating the pump

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
I'm going to assume that the pump is installed properly and timing belt was installed and tensioned properly.

If the pump was dry then it will take time for the lift pump to prime by just cr
no the pump went bad
I'm going to assume here that it's because the IP hasn't been primed? If you don't use a vacuum pump or other small electric pump to pull fuel through the IP then it can take a long time for the internal lift pump to prime sufficiently.

The only other thing I can think of is that your new IP will need to be 'hammer modded' enough to get the QA reasonably positioned so that the car will start and you can make further adjustments via VCDS from that point.

I would ask the pump supplier if it was run and tested before they shipped it to you or whether they just resealed it and sent it out.

Steve

PassatLife

TDI
1996 Passat Tdi Wagon
He mentioned he was getting fuel out of the lines so the pump is primed. Must be a timing or compression issue. Is your glow plug circuit all good? It's cold enough right now that faulty glow plugs combined with slightly off pump timing can cause a no start. You could also try adjusting the QA as mentioned above

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
He said it was "new" and named a Diesel shop so I wouldn't expect a QA adjustment to be warranted.

Hey Sony, was it factory new? Rebuilt by a fully equipped shop? Resealed?

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
He mentioned he was getting fuel out of the lines so the pump is primed. Must be a timing or compression issue. Is your glow plug circuit all good? It's cold enough right now that faulty glow plugs combined with slightly off pump timing can cause a no start. You could also try adjusting the QA as mentioned above
Yes, but we don't know if it's enough fuel or whether it's residual fuel from before the pump was installed or whether there's air getting into the pump that is preventing adequate pressure or whether it was in fact primed after it was installed. Occam's Razor would suggest that the most likely culprit is the one most recently touched, i.e. the injection pump, and that would preclude some of the other things you've mentioned...since the car was assumed to be running before the new pump was installed.

He said it was "new" and named a Diesel shop so I wouldn't expect a QA adjustment to be warranted.

Hey Sony, was it factory new? Rebuilt by a fully equipped shop? Resealed?
He said it was 'new' vs 'old,' not whether it was brand new, newly rebuilt or resealed....which was my point to begin with.

Steve

PassatLife

TDI
1996 Passat Tdi Wagon
Yes, but we don't know if it's enough fuel or whether it's residual fuel from before the pump was installed or whether there's air getting into the pump that is preventing adequate pressure or whether it was in fact primed after it was installed. Occam's Razor would suggest that the most likely culprit is the one most recently touched, i.e. the injection pump, and that would preclude some of the other things you've mentioned...since the car was assumed to be running before the new pump was installed.

He said it was 'new' vs 'old,' not whether it was brand new, newly rebuilt or resealed....which was my point to begin with.

Steve
Ah I thought he meant he primed it when he mentioned he was getting fuel out of the lines, my bad. Ive actually had both situations after installing a new pump. I've had a car start without cracking the lines and just pulling a vacuum on the return line, and I've also had a car start by just cracking the lines and not pulling fuel through the pump.

It's easy to cross it off the list though, just pull a vacuum on the return line until you don't see any bubbles then bleed the lines again.

no the pump went bad
Well the question here was "was the car running?", which was answered with "No, the pump went bad". Is there confirmation that the pump was indeed the issue? What were the symptoms? Or are we chasing the wrong rabbit.

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
The vanes inside the pump could be stuck.
You can hook an injector up outside of the car and see if it sprays when you are cranking. If it does, you could need more advance or they put the injection pump camplate in at 180 degrees out of time. You can rotate the pulley 180 degrees and it will work, if so.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Ah I thought he meant he primed it when he mentioned he was getting fuel out of the lines, my bad. Ive actually had both situations after installing a new pump. I've had a car start without cracking the lines and just pulling a vacuum on the return line, and I've also had a car start by just cracking the lines and not pulling fuel through the pump.

It's easy to cross it off the list though, just pull a vacuum on the return line until you don't see any bubbles then bleed the lines again.

Well the question here was "was the car running?", which was answered with "No, the pump went bad". Is there confirmation that the pump was indeed the issue? What were the symptoms? Or are we chasing the wrong rabbit.
We don't have all the information we need yet....

Steve