Installed Boost Guage, no Boost Reading

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I installed a NewSouth 0-35psi boost gauge, and am not getting a reading at idle. At about 2000 RPMs, I can see the gauge move a little off of zero.

I double checked the pressure line from the fitting on the intercooler pipe to the guage, and do not see any kinks or pinches. For the intercooler fitting, I drilled and tapped a hole to install the fitting that came with the gauge. I installed the fitting on the hard plastic pipe that runs by the cam belt cover before the 90 degree bend into the intake.

http://home.comcast.net/~ta.cohen/pwpimages/IMG_0045.jpg

Is this the proper place for the fitting?? Anything else to check? Maybe the 90 degree fitting on the back of the gauge?

Last edited:

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Are you sitting in the driveway, or driving down the road?! ;)

The engine needs a load -> to call for fuel -> to generate heat -> to develop boost, so you won't see any appreciable boost at idle or 2000 RPM parked.

Looks like you've done a fine job of your install... go for a ride and see what happens.

seantdi

TDI
seat leon fr+
sorry for the hijack but you dont happen to know what the fitting you screwed into the hard plastic pipe is called do you? i got a T piece with mine which is no good for the tdi

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
sorry for the hijack but you dont happen to know what the fitting you screwed into the hard plastic pipe is called do you? i got a T piece with mine which is no good for the tdi
It is called a NoBuzz fitting. Not sure where you would find just the fitting. It came with my gauge kit from KermaTDI.com.
Even with the fitting, my gauge buzzes a little.

It is a 1/8" NPT thread size. I got a tap and dye set from Harbor Freight with a collection of different sizes that did include 1/8" NPT, but not the drill bit. (21/64?? or something) I found a drill bit that was almost the correct size (5/16) at Northern Tool, who also had just the tap, if you do not want to purchase a kit.

The plastic pipe has some thickness to it, so a tap does make several threads in the pipe to hold the fitting. To get the gauge installed while you search for a NoBuzz fitting, search the threads on the Forum, I remember seeing some DIY instructions that used a fuel filter on the hose line to reduce buzzing, then you can use a brass 1/8 NPT fitting from a home improvement store.

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
If you are using a brass fitting you really don't need a tap. Just drill the correct size hole (size smaller) and the brass fitting will thread in fine.

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Where did you get the kit from? Did you have to buy the gauge and all the hardware separate or did it all come with the kit? I'm considering getting a boost gauge like yours.

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I just installed mine today and I'm impressed by how it looks. The lighting matches perfectly with the stock gauges. I have a little buzzing also but it dosent bother me. With my stock tune it peaks at around 18psi.

Marinel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
No mine never gets that high. It spikes to about 18 psi for like half a second in second gear at around 2000 rpm. Other than that it never gets higher than 15psi no matter how hard I push it.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Funny, mine always spikes to about 22 then settles at 18 or so... Something must be wrong with my TDI.

Wait for it,

Yeah, it's the RC1+ which ROCKS, btw (2+ years later and I'm still excited about it, wow) Thanks again, Jeff!