install my mtdi pump 0460424138 but what should I set the timing to?

countach

TDI
1.9 tdi 1z
the Engine is a 1Z and the nozzles are set to 210 bar but what should i set the timing to??

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
Everybody is different in what they prefer the timing set at. I have been recommended to set mine at .9mm, and somebody else told me to set it at 1.0mm. I put mine at .9 and it runs good.

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
Sounds good. You can also play around a bit, and see what works the best by setting it a little lower, and a little higher.

oil_me

Veteran Member
TDI
Black '99 Jetta, Glacier Blue Audi 80 Quattro TDI
I have the same pump also set at .90mm after much testing.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
If you find someone with a pulse adapter and a timing light you can help answer this question once and for all!

whitegm1

TDI
1980 Rabbit Pickup/AHU Diesel, 5spd, 12mm IP, .216 nozzles, 45mpg
I am doing much the same with a 98 Jetta AHU in my 1980 pickup,
difference is I will be running;new Bosch 12mm pump head with 20mm shaft injection pump & .216mm injector nozzles.
Some info from others I have collected, Mark

TDI TIMING, 1.1 TO 1.6, 1.32mm good

Another say’s; 1.25mm -1.40 max with .187 nozzles

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
It's highly dependent on the camplate in the pump, that's why there are so many different values out there. The shape of the ramp heavily influences the timing setting.

JaysinSpaceman

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
Some things that affect static timing:

Pump piston size (9,10,11,12 mm) The larger the piston the lower it's lift at TDC for the same crankshaft degree timing.

Cam plate shape, this is much more subtle but it will change timing somewhat. Cam shape changes the way an injector fires more then when.

Injector pop pressure, lower pressure earlier firing. This is why injector balance is very important.

Injector line length, Longer lines = later firing. This is why line lengths need to be the same.

But all of this is just changing when the injector is firing. If your compression is low the actual combustion event happens later then if the compression is higher (within spec). All static injector pump timing specs are based on a known set of parameters and if those parameters change then the static timing will also need to change.

Basically what I am saying is that MTDi timing is going to depend on your particular setup. I think that a diesel timing light adapter is going to be a crucial instrument when I set up the timing on my new motor. With my 12mm head I think a good place to start is at the .8-.9 mm at TDC and then time with a diesel timing light to about 12+/- degrees before TDC crank timing (this seems to be the consensus for timing light timing).

Jaysin

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
I really don't see how I could have set mine up without my pulse adapter. Non standard nozzles, a pump that was never meant to be bolted to this engine....