Inspection Sticker?

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
So my Inspection Sticker expired in July - if I go get a new one, will it pass like normal (due to cheating software) or will it get a fail because they know about it now?

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
The inspection is just and odb2 check in Massachusetts...just like NH.
While it is know the cars are not Federally compliant, states are still inspecting them and giving the new stickers so you can legally drive them while we wait for the fix/recall/buyback.
No worries.....if it passed before, it will pass now..if it had a yellow light and missing parts it will fail just like before.
And yes...mine expired in July too...but got a new sticker, no stress, no worries...
Had the VW dealer do it... didn't even need an appointment. Quirk is pretty good about that....about an hour.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Just get it inspected. There are no active recalls for your car, you should have no problem passing inspection in Massachusetts.

MrSprdSheet

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 JSW TDI
Even if you fail, your having been registered in MA over the period 9/18-6/28/16 still makes you eligible for the settlement. It depends on your need of the car, and keeping it legal for street.

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
The inspection station didn't flag it. They confirmed the cheat is still working - lol.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Trust me, they don't know from the cheat. I bet if you'd asked the tech you would have gotten a blank stare. No codes, emissions readiness showing, you're good to go in MA.

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta TDI 6mt, sold back, replacement 2017 Golf GTI Autobahn
Yup, for now, inspections will not be an issue. Come 1/2019 if there is a fix, the obd2 plug test will be changed to check for the new sensors. If the fix is not present, or failing, you will not get your inspection tag. So for now don't worry, enjoy your TDI and take your time to decide.

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
1. Newsflash-German TDI engineering virtually guarantees passing emissions.
2. VW website FAQ mentions contacting VW customer care if anyone happens to experience failing emissions test.
3. Here in NJ, motor vehicle only tests emmisions by plugging into obdd port on the car, checking the ecu.
No longer do they stick the gas probe into exhaust pipe.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Yup, for now, inspections will not be an issue. Come 1/2019 if there is a fix, the obd2 plug test will be changed to check for the new sensors. If the fix is not present, or failing, you will not get your inspection tag. So for now don't worry, enjoy your TDI and take your time to decide.

DO I have to remind you AGAIN about spreading FUD , Jim ?

If your car passes now, and still maintains the same standard - you won't have any problem post 2019 either.

Last edited:

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
DO I have to remind you AGAIN about spreading FUD , Jim ?

If your car passes now, and still maintains the same standard - you won't have any problem post 2019 either.

Please point to anywhere in the document that states past 1/2019, your car is guarantee to pass inspection. No documentation states that. So it not FUD, it is logical deduction from the documentation provided by EPA/CARB about new sensors and OBD changes, that any state can and will look for. They be crazy not to.

Jim

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Please point to anywhere in the document that states past 1/2019, your car is guarantee to pass inspection. No documentation states that. So it not FUD, it is logical deduction from the documentation provided by EPA/CARB about new sensors and OBD changes, that any state can and will look for. They be crazy not to.

Jim
IF you would put IMO (In MY Opinion) I wouldn't have near as much to say - but you keep presenting your "fact" like it is already proven. UNTIL we hear of a case of denied registration for no fix after Jan 2019 - your's is nothing more than a theory - and you need to present it that way. A possibiliy - certainly - one that I PERSONALLY think is HIGHLY UNLIKELY. (agreement documents / relatively low level of pollution / low number of vehicles)

And I think the States would be crazy TO consider this idea - I can see lots of class action suits against the states taking off if they do.

You have a proven event - then you can present as fact - until then - it is YOUR THEORY.

You can find the points as easily as I can - It will give you something to do instead of spreading FUD.

jims2321

Veteran Member
TDI
IF you would put IMO (In MY Opinion) I wouldn't have near as much to say - but you keep presenting your "fact" like it is already proven. UNTIL we hear of a case of denied registration for no fix after Jan 2019 - your's is nothing more than a theory - and you need to present it that way. A possibiliy - certainly - one that I PERSONALLY think is HIGHLY UNLIKELY. (agreement documents / relatively low level of pollution / low number of vehicles)

And I think the States would be crazy TO consider this idea - I can see lots of class action suits against the states taking off if they do.

You have a proven event - then you can present as fact - until then - it is YOUR THEORY.

You can find the points as easily as I can - It will give you something to do instead of spreading FUD.
documents clear state that additional OBD checks will be in place to determine if the fix is in place and working. You just need to spend a few minutes reading it. And it your Theory that states wouldn't check, where it a simple software update to the obd2 test equipment to look for those changes. So saying that they wouldn't check is just as much FUD (probably more) then saying they will.

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/docs/Appendix B.pdf

clearly points out that OBD testing for faults in the future to determine the effectiveness of the fix and long term. So at what point would states not test?

This also dovetails nicely with EPA Tier 3 emissions standards implementation starting 2017

https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/tier3.htm

Last edited:

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
Seems to me that any guarantee that a vehicle would pass emissions inspection in every state would require all 50 states to be signatories to the settlement.

Sankar

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI / DSG
Not sure about 2019, but you should be fine for now. My car (09 JSW) was inspected just yesterday and it passed with flying colors.

Armby

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf
documents clear state that additional OBD checks will be in place to determine if the fix is in place and working. You just need to spend a few minutes reading it. And it your Theory that states wouldn't check, where it a simple software update to the obd2 test equipment to look for those changes. So saying that they wouldn't check is just as much FUD (probably more) then saying they will.
https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/docs/Appendix B.pdf
clearly points out that OBD testing for faults in the future to determine the effectiveness of the fix and long term. So at what point would states not test?
This also dovetails nicely with EPA Tier 3 emissions standards implementation starting 2017
https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/tier3.htm
I know I am going to regret getting involved in this pile of dung, but I can't stand it any more. I will step in and immediately step out.

The document you (jims2321) quote (https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/docs/Appendix B.pdf) as your proof that the state will eventually not allow unfixed cards to be registered simply defines the requirements that are placed on Volkswagen for fixed cars. It doesn't imply anything about requirements for unfixed cars.

You also say (and I didn't verify this independently) that EPA Tier 3 standards start in 2017. That is for cars manufactured starting in 2017, not for for current cars still on the road in 2017 and later. I.e. it will never apply retroactively to unfixed TDIs.

The relevant clause, which you seem to want to ignore, says that all states that accept money from the ENVIRONMENTAL MITIGATION TRUST AGREEMENT must not deny registration to unfixed vehicles based on the fact they are unfixed.

See Appendix D to the DOJ Partial Consent Decree. http://www.cand.uscourts.gov/filelibrary/1776/Partial-Consent-Decree.pdf
It clearly states in section 4.2.9 of Appendix D that
"...the certifying Entity:
(a) Shall not deny registration to any Subject Vehicle based solely on:
i. The presence of a defeat device or AECD covered by the resolution of claims in the Consent Decree; or
ii. Emissions resulting from such a defeat device or AECD; or
iii. The availability of an Approved Emissions Modification or the Buyback, Lease Termination, and Owner/Lessee Payment Program."

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
On top of all that ^^^ , if you go in for an emissions inspection, most places just check that there are no stored codes by connecting to the OBD port. A fixed car or an unfixed car, as long as the readiness monitors are set and there are no codes, you are out the door with a new sticker.
If your jurisdiction requires a visual inspection, even if the inspector is actually looking and knows what parts are supposed to look like, they have to go off of the sticker underhood. So, if a fixed car has a bunch of new parts added, in addition to the stock ones, it would have a different sticker than an unfixed car. If all the parts are in place that are shown on the sticker it passes, even if the actual emissions are different between the two cars.

The only risk an owner has from not doing anything is if their state chooses NOT to take the money from VW AND decides that they will not allow the registrations to be renewed.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We already have at least 44 states (INCLUDING CALIFORNIA - the most likely IMO to refuse registrations) that have signed off on this. I'd say the odds are pretty good that there will be unfixed cars for a long time to come after 2019.

madcowintucson

Veteran Member
TDI
golf
I just wanted to add that I live inarizona and here they do not and never have checked the obd2 poets in diesels. You can have a check engine light on (and I have on my other tdi) and all emissions devices not actually working and they will pass it as they only check opacity limits. According to the Arizona department of environmental quality all diesels registered in Arizona are only required to meet the opacity limits to pass. Additionally, although have not verified this, ADEQ stated it will take an act of the legislature to change that, and it was their position this was very unlikely and in the even it did happen it would only affect new vehicle after the date if enactment. Hope this helps anyone in az and if this is accurate and correct then it will mean not to worry about emissions here. I plan on keeping my vehicle.

yehaman

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Passed Mass emissions yesterday, got a new sticker. Hopefully the last $35 I'll have to spend (besides fuel) before the buyback.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Passed Mass emissions yesterday, got a new sticker. Hopefully the last $35 I'll have to spend (besides fuel) before the buyback.
Passed NH back in July....
Just an odb2 check in NH.... readiness, and codes, plus safety.....
Haven't heard of ANYBODY with an unmodified VW being denied registration in any state....bet there will be no changes till 2018 or 19 at the soonest....if ever.

Virgilstar

Veteran Member
TDI
jsw 11
Refund for testing?

One thing I had considered....
Given that we now know the test is a complete sham, would VW be willing to refund me the $20 fee I had to pay for NY state testing?

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
One thing I had considered....
Given that we now know the test is a complete sham, would VW be willing to refund me the $20 fee I had to pay for NY state testing?
Would you have been happier if you failed the test? I'm sure that would have cost you much more than $20.