Injectors in a PD, need help...

osomphane

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta BRM
Heya everyone :)

I'm looking to add a set of PD150 injectors to the jetta, but need some help...

-Does anyone know where I can find a guide specific to the 06 BRM PD engine?
-Besides literally putting the injectors in, do I need to do anything else (eg, tuning, lowering compression, etc) for reliability?
-What else do I need to know (do I have to buy special tool, replacement bolts, etc...)

Help will be mucho appreciated!

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
osomphane said:
Heya everyone :)

I'm looking to add a set of PD150 injectors to the jetta, but need some help...

-Does anyone know where I can find a guide specific to the 06 BRM PD engine?
It really is the same under the valve cover so you probably don't need to get terribly specific to the BRM.

osomphane said:
-Besides literally putting the injectors in, do I need to do anything else (eg, tuning, lowering compression, etc) for reliability?
There are plenty of people running big injectors with stock compression. It would be likely that the new injectors would cause some smoking and possibly drivability issues so you probably will want to address the tuning.

osomphane said:
-What else do I need to know (do I have to buy special tool, replacement bolts, etc...)

Help will be mucho appreciated!
You need to get yourself a set of 12 point internal sockets. They sell them at Schucks and they're about $20. They are the nice ones with the connections on the end to hook to your ratchet (not the cheap bits that you have to use a socket on). To remove the injectors there is technically a special slide-hammer tool. You might be able to rig something up with a generic slide hammer (I used one for valve springs with a new end on it but I'd recommend something heavier). You probably want to replace all of the bolts. At least some of them are stretch bolts and you really don't want to take the chance of any of them breaking off in the head. That would probably ruin your day.

ryanp

Vendor
TDI
Arosa CR - 550hp - 9.7 @ 150mph 1/4 Mile, Citigo 4x4 CR TDi - 340hp, Caddy 2.0 CR 4x4 TDI - 300+hp, Golf Mk2 Van 1.9 TDI - was 290hp, Mk5 Ibiza 2.0 FR TDi - 270hp, BMW 135d - 360hp, BMW 330d - 335hp, BMW 335d - 380hp + a few more ........
in a warm engine they just pop out with a little twist! i've had a set which broke my custom too though. that was in a haed that had been stood a while though!

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
vwmikel said:
You need to get yourself a set of 12 point internal sockets. They sell them at Schucks and they're about $20. They are the nice ones with the connections on the end to hook to your ratchet (not the cheap bits that you have to use a socket on). To remove the injectors there is technically a special slide-hammer tool. You might be able to rig something up with a generic slide hammer (I used one for valve springs with a new end on it but I'd recommend something heavier). You probably want to replace all of the bolts. At least some of them are stretch bolts and you really don't want to take the chance of any of them breaking off in the head. That would probably ruin your day.
+1 The ones that the socket go over is what I have and they are not as nice.

But you don't really need a slide remover tool. Like they said above you can remove them easier from a "warm" engine after removing the slide holder bolt and block then turning them in their seat back and forth a few times with a small clean pry tool. Do this gently a few times back and forth then pull up on them as you continue to twist them back and forth. They come out pretty easy.

If you don't have a Bentley manual I would suggest getting one, but Ben did a write up on install and removal, as did I. Mine is here: BRM PD150 injector install.

Good luck and have fun!

FYI depending on what "PD150's" you have there are differences in the voltage that they should use. The EU true PD150s use different and higher amounts than the Audi PD130 injectors I had. So you need to watch out for that/or your tuner does.

osomphane

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta BRM
I already have a set of 12 points and my turbo boosts up to 26psi... so I think I should be good getting injectors :)

I also want to thank everyone for the information and the link (SBD), it really helps a newb like me.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Just make sure you also add the cost of the bolts and seals. It is about $150-$200 just in those parts after finding the injectors. I haven't installed mine yet but I am just shy the seals to do so. (Also want gauges as well before install)

SBAtdijetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Jetta Cup 6spd, '02 Jetta Auto
^^+1

No problem osomphane, make sure you do like coalminer said and (if used) you get all new seals. You have to replace all the TTY bolts the adjustment screws on the injectors anyway so you should already be planning on that.

osomphane

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta BRM
Hmm, 038 103 385 A (injector adjustment screws) have been listed as discontinued... any thoughts on this? Does anyone have the new part/number?

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
do the adjustment screws really need to be replaced? I bought the Oring kit for 8 bucks a piece and they didnt come with the adjustment screws.

and you will need a retune. but it is nice sofar without one(but its coming soon)

osomphane

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta BRM
It was listed under the SBA's how-to... well I called the dealer today, and they said they had them and the part is far from obsolete. Wonder why all online stores say that it has been discontinued, hmm...

O.C.TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI, 09' JSW TDI, 09' BMW 335d
I posted the part number for the injector seal kit from VW in the A5 thread. It came with all the parts including plungers.

bencarr23

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2013 white
osomphane said:
I already have a set of 12 points and my turbo boosts up to 26psi... so I think I should be good getting injectors :)

I also want to thank everyone for the information and the link (SBD), it really helps a newb like me.
You sure you want to just get the 150's instead of the R783's??

osomphane

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW Jetta BRM
Paul said he didn't have the r783's :/ 'sides, I don't know how far the stock parts can be pushed before they go boom ;)

thanks OC :)

ducesrwld

Veteran Member
TDI
none
bencarr23 said:
You sure you want to just get the 150's instead of the R783's??
Interested to see what she dyno's at....and how long that clutch holds up. i think i'm going to invest in a 6 speed and better clutch before i spend on the go fast turbo, injectors, and exhuast.