Initial DSG Impressions

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
Had to swap my 6MT for a DSG due to left leg sciatica (unfortunate but true).

My depression over having to drive an automatic was short-lived however. I am amazed at the difference between D and S in the tranny. D sucks - slow as sh!t - good at sipping fuel though. S keeps the revs at max torque it seems - it may just be me, but I think the DSG is quicker than the 6MT. Wish it came with paddle shifters.

Last edited:

Jonathan-

TDI
2012 Passat
That's good to hear as I'm considering a DSG as I drive truck some and get my shifting fix with that. What year model of car?

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
2015 - my info is to the left

My wife has an RX450h - when I put it in "sport" mode the only thing I really notice is the dash turns red.

I've never driven a DSG before - D vs S is like having two different cars - wasn't expecting that.

Last edited:

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
bring---sorry to hear about the sciatica but glad to hear that you like the DSG. In the past people have swapped a GTI wheel w/ paddles into their vehicles. you may want to look into this, I am not sure what is involved but it may be as simple as R&R plus some VCDS coding.

torrimac

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sedan DSG
TO get the paddles, you need the wheel and maybe an electrics unit, depending on what yours currently supports and the coding. Ive read about it 100 times because i want them.

Yours is stock, You should see what adding a Stage 2 Malone tune does to the car. I had the DSG reprogram done as well. It really feels like a new car.

mklabunde

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium
2015 - my info is to the left

My wife has an RX450h - when I put it in "sport" mode the only thing I really notice is the dash turns red.

I've never driven a DSG before - D vs S is like having two different cars - wasn't expecting that.
If you want it even better get yourself a Malone DSG tune makes a world of difference. I have on on my 2012 and all I can say is dam this is how it sould of come out of the factory. You even get launch control :D

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
Does a Malone DSG tune void the warranty? I've only had the car a month....

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Does a Malone DSG tune void the warranty? I've only had the car a month....
Any and all tunes (modification of VW specs) can and probably will void your warranty if there is an issue or perceived issue with the programming that caused what would be a warranty covered failure. Mechanical mods are the same way.

torrimac

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sedan DSG
They have to prove, without a doubt that your modification caused the issue though. A DSG tune is not going to prevent an emissions warranty claim or a bad seat belt claim for instance.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
They have to prove, without a doubt that your modification caused the issue though. A DSG tune is not going to prevent an emissions warranty claim or a bad seat belt claim for instance.
No but it will probably negate a warranty covered failure of the transmission itself. Roll the dice. If I mod the radio it will not negate any engine related failures. He was asking about a DSG tune not an emission warranty failure.

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
I'm all set then. Like I wrote at the top - quite happy with the way it drives in S. I wanted a fun "green" car and although I had to give up the manual, the DSG isn't bad at all.

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Glad to hear you are enjoying the car since you swapped it!!
The DSG is a pretty slick unit...heck might not always be doing what I might be if I was shifting, but last time I was stuck in traffic, it was nice to not have to shift a million times...sure in a perfect world I would stay at one steady speed, but In the real world, traffic goes in fits and spurts....