Importing european car? 330D?

Lightman

Veteran Member
The BMW 330D looks sweet. Looks to be about 200hp and 300lbs torque, 6cyl, 45mph hwy. I know grey market importers can somehow get these vehicles, but they must be made to meet emissions. How complex is this process and how expensive? Could a tank of bio make it meet emissions?

JettaWagonTDI1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon GLS 2002 Candy White with Gold Pinstripe
Check into importing it through Mobile, AL. We do not have emissions standards for diesel engines in passenger cars here. It may be worth the risk, if there's any risk at all.

Just a suggestion!

Shawn

PackRat

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 A3 Jetta TDI
It's not state emissions that are the problem. In order to import a car, you have to have EPA and DOT clearance otherwise customs won't release the vehicle. Making the car DOT legal is possible since similar US legal cars exist (other 3 series) and there's not much difference anymore in safety equipment between Euro and US cars. It's the EPA you've got to worry about and unfortunately Europeans haven't adopted a compatible OBDII system and as we all know, European emissions attitudes are the opposite of US emissions attitudes.

Lightman

Veteran Member
I got email back from an importer, that there's a loophole that could get a 330D here, calling it an exhibition car. However, then it's limited to only 2000 miles/yr use 'to and from exhibitions'. Grr. Wish there was some temp way to make it meet emissions and pass thru customs.

Blades

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS TDI
BMW 330D

I'll check my local BMW dealer.(I'm in Canada) Let's just says my dad has a 2000 323is that shouldn't be here
(Special order; guy who ordered it died before it got delivered. My dad got it cause it was similar to what he wanted)

The front end is slightly different from ther 2000 3 Series. Also, for some odd reason I can't figure out, the car does 6.0L/100km on the highway at 120km/h. Freaking good for a 2.5L Inline-6 mated with a sportstronic 5-speed.

As for me, I want a Mini One D

(That thing handles like an MK2 w/ sports suspension)

jjvincent

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2K, Green
I got email back from an importer, that there's a loophole that could get a 330D here, calling it an exhibition car. However, then it's limited to only 2000 miles/yr use 'to and from exhibitions'.
That's how Will Turner got his 1994 McLaren F1 licensed here in the states.

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
Everything I have ever read about this issue indicates that it is possible but can be extremely expensive. I remember reading about a really exotic car (some kind of Ferrari) that Bill Gates or someone of his ilk had imported, but which ended up residing in an impound warehouse.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
You can obviously buy a US version of the car in Europe and bring it over here without too much problem. Mercedes, BMW, Volvo, Saab and others do this all the time.

The European versions of the engines are another matter. It requires EPA certification at an authorized EPA lab. Last time I heard, this was like $15,000 with no guarantee that the car would pass. But if it did, then you would pay the import duty to Customs (10%?, 15%?).

So, when it comes to trying to bring in a $20,000 car who would want to spend this kind of money?

But there are people who do this for a $250,000 car...

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
mavapa said:
I remember reading about a really exotic car (some kind of Ferrari) that Bill Gates or someone of his ilk had imported, but which ended up residing in an impound warehouse.
It was a Porsche 959, and the book was "The Road Ahead."

eisenkrote

Veteran Member
Isn't that the one that they could only drive off-road, and that they wiped out in in the desert?? They called it "the dune buggy."

I should be so lucky as to own a quarter-million-dollar dune buggy.

mavapa

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 golf
It was Gates, wasn't it? I think there might have been some other vehicles that ended up impounded. Seems like I read about it in Car&Driver. But my memory isn't what it used to be, I think.

Lightman

Veteran Member
No, the 959 was kinda like a GT model is now, like a souped up race version of a 911. I'd seen a few on the road back in the day, it always sparked a lot of excitement. People got them in somehow back then.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
There was an article in the local paper several months back about folks importing cars like this. Evidently, the wait is something like 9-12 months to get final approval.

jjvincent

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2K, Green
So, when it comes to trying to bring in a $20,000 car who would want to spend this kind of money?

But there are people who do this for a $250,000 car...
You hit the nail on the head. Bill Gates or Warren Buffet could import a 330D, but I got a feeling they won't. With that kind of money a 330D or a 150hp TDI is not even on the radar screen.

Do a search and you'll find out that this topic has been discussed many times and at great length.