importing and assembling a 2.0L 16v PD TDI in a Caliber?

Scott_DeWitt

Vendor
TDI
2000 Audi A4 1.9TDI quattro
vwmikel said:
Check out the NHTSA list of vehicles legal for import, there is a specific year of Rallye Golf that is in fact legal.
It is legal but only if you go through a registered importer, and the registered importer does everything that they should, which rarely happens. I've seen 10 private party imports of all makes and models and there was at least something on each of them that didn't pass US specs.

It legally import a vehicle all equipment must match US standards, which means that US spec bumpers, bumper shocks, catalytics, glass, tail lamps, headlights, airbags, seats, seatbelts, all must be US spec. I've heard of several importers skipping some of the steps, but providing the documentation, getting the car "Legal" only to have DOT or EPA perform a complaince check and the owner gets screwed. The only recourse is to sue the importer.

What sucks is the Feds intentionally make it so expensive to import a vehicle privately it becomes a deterrant. It's cheaper and easier to "Convert" than to import. Anyways I'll quit my yapping..