IMPORTANT - When swapping a 5 speed manual to a 6 speed manual

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Guys,

I didn't see this mentioned anywhere on the site. Around Thanksgiving, I swapped the 5 speed manual out of my 2005 Beetle for a 6 speed manual. I had the car out of commission for about two weeks. Once everything was back together, I changed the instrument coding from 2 (5 speed manual) to 4 (6 speed manual). I have a book where I write down oil changes, tire rotation, maintenance, and anything else I do to my TDIs. When I installed the transmission, I started a new page in my book, so I didn't notice right away the odometer settings on the previous page.

I was reviewing my records to check when to rotate my tires and noticed that my odometer read LESS than when I had last rotated my tires. I just checked with VCDS and when you change the instrument coding from '2' to '4', the odometer changes to FEWER miles. On my Beetle if the instrument coding is set to 2, my odometer reads 114,384; with the coding set to 4, my odometer reads 110,624.

I'm guessing the ECU only stores the number of pulses from the transmission and divides this by the transmission coding. For the 5 speed manual there are 5676 pulses per mile; for the 6 speed manual there are 5869 pulses per mile.

Bottom line: REMEMBER - WHEN YOU CHANGE THE TRANSMISSION INSTRUMENT CODING WITH VCDS, THE ODOMETER CHANGES TO REFLECT THE CURRENT TRANSMISSION SETTING.

Hope this helps.

Eric

Last edited:

Farfromovin

Torque Addict
TDI
03 Golf 2dr- PD150 6m
Wow, not what I was expecting to read based on the thread title. My odo didn't change and I just changed the adaptation a month ago or so? I track all my fueling stops on my phone and have a consistent track record.
I have a US cluster with a EU ecu though for my PD150, not sure if that's the reason why though. Interested to hear what ndamico says as he just recoded his cluster the other day for the extra gear.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon; 2005 Beetle; 2004 Jetta; 2002 Golf (three of them); 2002 Jetta Wagon; 2000 Audi TT->TDI; 1999 Beetle
Farfromovin,

Yea, when I was looking over my records I was thinking "what's going on here". Then I took my VCDS and switched back to '2' on the cluster and the odometer went up 4,000 miles or so. Switched it back to '4' and it dropped back down.

I did get a new ECU when the dealer did the glow plug replacement and software update last year (the first one). When the tried to update the software they fried the ECU and had to put a new one in.

I'm curious if anyone else noticed this?

Eric

blizzard60

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Nope, no odometer change whatsoever when I changed from "4" to "2". I honestly think that MOST tdi owners keep mileage/fill-up logs of some sort, and with the amount of these swaps going on now I'd say someone else would have noticed this if it was commonplace.

It really sounds like there is some sort of anomaly with either your cluster, or Beetle cluster in general that is causing this.

Cheers,
-Chris

Steve99

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI, 04 R32
Perhaps something odd with Magneti Marelli clusters that doesn't occur with VDO/Bosch.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I'm not sure why my Beetle odometer changes when the instrument cluster coding is changed. Is there anyone else out there with a Beetle that has swapped out their 5 speed for a 6 speed? If so, did your odometer change? Thanks.

Eric

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
I had my NB TDI 5-speed replaced with the FMH 6-speed. I am a VAG-COM
RA'Tard as I have to reference the manual to figure out how to get to
the timing graph - the logic sequence escapes me.

So, if someone has a step-by-step guide to how to change it, I shall
do such.

Cheers!

LDM

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
We'll change it the next time I see you Lonnie. Just bring a laptop with wifi as my laptop is currently down. I'm curious if your car will have this phenomenon as well.

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
hpc,

Here's where I found how to change the instrument coding so the speedometer reads correctly. It was listed under Ryan's transmission link:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=297323

Open vag-com.
Select Instruments.
Click on recode.
change the last number from 2 to 4.
Save & exit.

Even though I changed the last number to '4', I still think the speedometer reads a couple miles an hour faster than I am actually going.

Eric

hpc

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 NB TDI, 2013 GLK 250 BlueTec
Okay - the VCDS sequence isn't exactly what I had to do, but close enough
that even the lame, namely me, could figure it out.

ODOMETER before: 225,751
code read: 03232 the last '2' indicating 5-speed
'new' code: 03234 the last digit, '4', indicating 6-speed
ODOMETER after: 218,328 a 7,423 drop.

Yes, it is confirmed that changing from a 5-speed to a 6-speed
does decrease the odometer reading by 3.288 percent (7423/225751*100).

Now, back to GT-5 and Call of Duty - Black Ops....

Cheers!

LDM

Last edited:

Shenandoah

Veteran Member
TDI
hpc,

Thanks for the post. So, it looks like this only is an issue for the Beetle. Thanks.

Eric

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Mine stayed at the same mileage (odometer).
I did drive for almost a tank with the 5 speed speedometer so I guess my car has a few less (dozen?) miles than indicated.

Last edited:

drozia

TDI
AFN 1.9 110 hp Cordoba SX
Hello.I need to change my 99' seat cordoba 1.9 TDI sx's CYP gearbox to 6 speed DRW or ERF GEARBOX. I check up 6 speed gearbox from ETKA and get confused about clutch if it fits to my AFN engine? Does anyone have experience or idea for this conversion?