Important 5th Gear update!!!!

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
OK, those of you with NEWER TDI's (I don't know when the change happened) Need to heed this.

If you are doing the 5th gear mod there is now a different bolt holding down BOTH cogs. It is not a T60 torx any longer. It is a 14mm XZN or triple-square bit. NOBODY stocks these! Everyone has up to 12mm. It is a special order bit.

I'd say anything built 05' or later for sure have this bit. This was an 06' Golf.

Needless to say I was as disappointed as the customer when I could not do this. It's a bit I have never had a use for.

david_594

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS Silver
Its actually in the monster thread.... But its a good point and my PDF had been updated to reflect this necessary bit a couple months ago.

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
yeah David, this was mentioned, but was lost in the plethora of information. I am that guy, and I read and researched before letting Jason do this, only to find an unexpected brick wall. and the monster thread really didnt say much to the effect that the newer PD's might have this, like mine did.
so this is a good warning to all before you try to do the swap on a newer car, to make sure who is doing the swap has this triple square bit on hand BEFORE you empty the case of its fluid. or you will be doing a tranny flush and putting in the good stuff Redline MTL(like me) but the fluid has a bit of metal in it, so it was good to do anyway! and a special thanks to Jason for the effort with no reward, oh YES the good beer is coming... just like the triple square bit! :)

Eric B.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
ya, I ran into this issue when I got my new bolts from the dealer when I swapped everything in my 5th gear area. the new bolts were the 14mmXZN headed type. luckilly MOGolf had the tool in his set. otherwise, I would have just put the old 60mm torx headed ones back in..

guy has everything I tell you.

good luck..

MPGeez!

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Black TDI 5M PK2
It's good to highlight this. I had my gears swapped last week on an '06 Jetta by a shop that was 2 hours away. The mechanic had everything apart and had reached the point where he was about to remove what he thought was going to be a 12mm bolt, then discovered it wasn't. Through some bit of divine coincidence at that very moment the Snap-On rep walked up to my car and the mechanic said, "You got anything that will fit on this?" And fortunately for me, he did. Otherwise it would have been a big waste of a lot of time for everyone involved.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
has the cruise control issue with the 5th gear swap in A4 PDs been resolved?

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
SUNRG said:
has the cruise control issue with the 5th gear swap in A4 PDs been resolved?

Wondering about the CC as well...

Also I have a 2005 Golf (purchased new in March 05), anyone know of a sure way to know if you are effected?
Will the VIN tell you?

sippinoil

TDI
Golf, 05, Silver
Jeff at Rocket says he can change the code in the ECU to the automatic tranny version and the cruise works. You will get a fault for the ESP if your car is equiped. I'm going for the Stage 1 and getting this cruise fix at the same time when I get my gears!

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
I actually have the tool for those cars. Its the same bit to remove the Jatco trans (tiptronic) bolts. I did one for a guy when he tried to do it at a GTG and couldnt. Anyway, this has been covered.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Here's what I did when I was faced with that.... I went to the hardware store and picked up a 3/8X16 grade 8 bolt that was about an inch long and a few grade 8 nuts to go on it.. The head of the 3/8" bolt, even though it's a 6 point, fits in the 14mmXZN bolt.. It's a little bit of a tight fit, but it'll work. Use a few nuts to lock onto the bolt so you can turn it with a socket.. I ended up welding an old broken socket to it..
The right tool is a little easier, but the bolt trick got me out of a jam on a Sunday.. I wasn't about to tell this person that they had to drive a few hours back home only to drive back here tomorrow when I got the tool...

Ya know what else fits nice? The 12 point nuts that came with the ARP head studs...

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
An 11mm Allen socket can be tapped into the 12-point bolts and it will work ... that's how we did mine. An 11mm Allen isn't exactly the most common thing to have around the shop either, but the Snap-on dealer had one ...

milehighassassin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Golf TDi PD, Reflex Silver
I dream that one of these days I will read that Jeff at RC has a CC fix for the PD motor.
(the only reason I keep opening these 5th gear threads!)

mako26

TDI
2004 Jetta, 1999 TDI Beetle
milehighassassin said:
I dream that one of these days I will read that Jeff at RC has a CC fix for the PD motor.
(the only reason I keep opening these 5th gear threads!)

I am with ya on thought!!