Immo3 cluster in 99.5 car, no CCM communications.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
I'm kinda at wits end here. Long story short I have a 99.5 gasser shell with the gasser body harness, an 03 ALH ECU and engine harness, IMMO3 cluster and CAN airbag controller(swapped all the pins over). Had to make an adapter harness for the plug by the headlight. On the engine side of things, things are all good, everything is communicating over CAN like it should. Air bag module works as well and is communicating with the cluster.

Now the problem is that the cluster won't talk to the CCM because before MY 2002 there is no comfort CAN-BUS running to the cluster. The immo3 cluster won't see open door or chime at all. In the can gateway I get an error for the comfort bus, no communications. So to rectify this situation I ran can wires from the CCM to the cluster, pins 8 and 9 which according to Bentley is for the comfort bus to the cluster. The later MKIV double din radio also talks over this bus. Now I get code for faulty comfort bus. So it looks like the 99.5 CCM does not talk to the immo3 cluster. Also it appears its the same situation for immo2 cars, no cluster connection to the comfort bus.

How are people making immo3 clusters work in immo2 cars then? I don't see how immo3 is backwards compatible with immo2.

My last option is to swap to a later CCM and change out the window motors to match. Really isn't that bad but if I don't have to do that then I won't.

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
My last option is to swap to a later CCM and change out the window motors to match. Really isn't that bad but if I don't have to do that then I won't.
It's been a while, but that is what I did on my 2001 Golf. Instead of cutting the harness, I made up an adapter from the connector to an old CCM and a wiring harness connector to the new CCM. So the adapter plugged into the existing harness and then into the new CCM. A U Pull It is the best place to get everything, including the window motors.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I got lazy and procrastinated most of the night, but I'll have to let you know how it works. I have a spare immo3 (I think) cluster that I was going to put in the 2000 Golf, mostly to take advantage of needle sweep and other little mods. I was going to dump the EEPROM via kw1281test along with the SKC, and then do the same for the immo3 cluster. Then use dashdumpedit to clone most of the settings (which should allow a seamless install, if all goes right).

I'm not sure how things work for you, since the 99.5 has no immo.

I'm curious on your CCM install, since I might go the same route. The early CCMs are crap.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
It has 03 cluster, 03 ECU and harness, and air bag controller so its all immo3 now. The only thing left is the CCM. I am pretty sure if I get a 1J0 CCM that it should plug right in. The 1C0 CCMs have a different connector I think.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, throw that out the window, got a CCM out of a 2002 immo3 jetta VR6 and it had the same two connectors so I got excited and grabbed the door modules and the CCM. Well the connectors are different so so much for that. I guess now I have to repin the connectors and try to figure out what wires go where. What a pain in the arse.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, connectors are different because its a 1C0 CCM that I got. Didn't realize that until I got home. So I spent half a day looking at wiring diagrams made a spreadsheet to repin the connector to 1C0. Had a little trouble with the trunk actuator because Bently was wrong with 99.5s having a extra relay to actuate the motor. Once I figured out how its wired it was pretty straight forward. There was a few extra wires because the 1C0 relies on CAN for certain things like ignition on signal. Changed out the window motors and it works great now, cluster sees door open and no more faulty bus codes in the can gateway. Plus now I can easily do remote roll down windows. It was a bit of work but it turned out really nice.