Imagine if they had the TDI ready!

JettaJack

TDI
04 & 06 Jettas, 15 Sportwagen
From USA Today:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2008-04-01-auto-sales-weak_N.htm

Automakers suffer through clunker of a quarter

". . . Among major automakers, only Volkswagen and Hyundai showed increases, Autodata reported. . ."

Maybe this will encourage them to get the TDI here more quickly.

Article follows:

Plummeting consumer confidence and soaring gas prices wreaked havoc on auto sales last month, capping the industry's worst first quarter in a decade, analysts said Tuesday.

Overall, auto sales in March were down 12% from March last year. Among major automakers, only Volkswagen and Hyundai showed increases, Autodata reported.

If automakers sold cars and trucks the entire year at the March pace, the annual tally would be 15.1 million, Autodata says, worst since 14.8 million in 1995. The 2007 March pace was 16.3 million.

Chrysler took one of the hardest hits, with a 19.4% drop, followed by Ford Motor (F), down 14%, and General Motors (GM), down 18.7%. Even powerhouse Toyota (TM) wasn't immune, with a fall of 10.3%. The figures look worse in part because there were two more selling days in March 2007.

Vehicle sales are off 8% since the start of the year, according to Autodata.

"I'd like to tell you the worst is behind us, but I can't give you that assurance," said Ford Group Vice President Jim Farley. Because of a "very challenging market," the "second quarter may be worse than the first." GM and Toyota both forecast a slight recovery for the industry in the second half of the year, boosted by the Federal Reserve rate cuts.
Analysts blame lower sales on falling consumer confidence, eroding home prices (and less equity to tap for loans), tighter credit and a debt hangover facing many families.

"Consumers are going through a real erosion of wealth. If you've lost 20% of your house value in the past year, you're not going to be in a cheery mood to go buy a new car," said Jesse Toprak, industry analyst for Edmunds.com.

He added that the first quarter saw the industry's worst sales performance since the same three months in 1998. "We're in a car sales recession if we aren't in a general recession," said Burnham Securities analyst David Healy.

Gasoline prices played a huge role. On Tuesday, regular gas averaged $3.29 a gallon, a tenth of a cent off the record set the day before, according to AAA.

As a result, car sales were off 3.1% in the first quarter vs. 12.1% for pickups and SUVs, and that amplified the impact of the sales drop on automakers.

"The worst-selling vehicles are the most profitable," Healy said.
At Ford, its small Focus is selling not only strongly, but at significantly higher prices than a year ago, Farley said.
Likewise for GM's new Chevy Malibu sedan, said GM Vice President Mark LaNeve. The "silver lining" of the downturn is a chance for GM to regain market share in cars and crossovers, sectors where it lost ground during the SUV craze, LaNeve said.

Toyota says its tiny Yaris, Scion xB and Prius and Camry hybrids were winners. But overall, the results show that "Toyota is not immune from the economic cycle either," said Bob Carter, general manager of Toyota's U.S. sales operation.

Most makers so far aren't boosting inducements to move sluggish sellers. Incentives averaged $2,519 a vehicle in March, virtually unchanged from February and up only 3.9% from March last year, Edmunds.com said.
Consumers are "buying more efficient vehicles — or postponing purchases," Toprak said.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
That is good news and bad news.

I'm happy that VWoA sold more cars in March.

But I'm afraid they will give credit to their new PR firm and commercials. I don't think I can take any more "Sign then drive" commercials, or where the salesmen play games with the customers by hitting the alarm button on a remote keyfob.

There is nothing appealing or uplifting or informative about those commercials, they are not amusing either.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
TornadoRed said:

But I'm afraid they will give credit to their new PR firm and commercials. I don't think I can take any more "Sign then drive" commercials, or where the salesmen play games with the customers by hitting the alarm button on a remote keyfob.

There is nothing appealing or uplifting or informative about those commercials, they are not amusing either.
Regardless of what you think or how you feel about their TV advertising, the fact of the matter is that you remember them, which means they were effective. Isn't that the entire point behind commercials? ;)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Ed's TDI said:
Regardless of what you think or how you feel about their TV advertising, the fact of the matter is that you remember them, which means they were effective. Isn't that the entire point behind commercials? ;)
No, commercials are supposed to give you a positive opinion of the company and its products. Reminding people why they hate VW dealerships doesn't serve this purpose.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
I've seen an ad the last few days with a guy talking to an old Type 1 Beetle, and the ad was talking about TDI's and how they are coming out with one that's going to be 50 state legal.

icecap

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Jetta TDI 5Spd Black Anthracite Pkg 1
Stupid car ads.

TornadoRed said:

I can relate to your view of the car ads. Last year in Canada Ford ran a batch of ads called "random celebrity guy" which put various Ford vehicles in situations with this dipstick washed out actor who probably ruined his carreer by doing the ads. They were annoying and didn't put forth a single merit of the vehicle being presented. I fired off a letter to Ford telling them I have owned 4 Ford vehicles and worked as a mechanic at a large Ford dealeship for 5 years. If I were still a Ford mechanic I would be embarrassed by these ads and that since I was tired of having my intelligence offended I chose to buy a VW. I also suggested they fire their advertising agency. Not long after I received a phone call from Ford and the ad was pulled. Their new advertising has an entirely different format.

Last edited: