Illuminated Shift Knob

oquatanzinwan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
I saw someone over at the VWvortex who put in a Rieger illuminated shift knob and thought it looked pretty cool. It seems like Rieger is out of business now and the website that is selling their leftovers doesn't have the red LED's (which I wanted). Has anyone had any experience with the ones on TMtuning.com, or any other illuminated shift knob? How are they compared the the Rieger? If anyone has one, I may be interested in purchasing it.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
I think quite a few people here have used TMtuning before without a problem.

It sucks they don't have the red...

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
I have one in my Golf, and one in the Jetta and love them! Fire me a message if you need one and I can look into it--I have an order leaving from TM by Wednesday...
-BB

oquatanzinwan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
BleachedBora said:
I have one in my Golf, and one in the Jetta and love them! Fire me a message if you need one and I can look into it--I have an order leaving from TM by Wednesday...
-BB
Thanks, I sent you a PM.

kcfoxie

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 6-spd JSW
I had a chinese no name illuminated chrome shift know "for german cars" .. ir with the R by 1st.

It actually had the standard H and german varaiant "dome" stickers, and was easy to wire up.

I loved it. I liked it a lot. But that was back in the bug.

No such changes for the Jetta, at least not yet.... let the shift boot get worn out (give it 2-3 more years) and I'll reconsider.

velociT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI *sold*
kcfoxie said:
I had a chinese no name illuminated chrome shift know "for german cars" .. ir with the R by 1st.

It actually had the standard H and german varaiant "dome" stickers, and was easy to wire up.

I loved it. I liked it a lot. But that was back in the bug.

No such changes for the Jetta, at least not yet.... let the shift boot get worn out (give it 2-3 more years) and I'll reconsider.
Yeah, as much as I'd like to have it, I'm having a hard time with replacing a perfectly good shift assembly too.

Nihilator

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 1.8t wagon
Without a doubt, one of the nicest "simple" mods you can do. I chose blue illumination because I already had the red ambient lighting from the W8 console. The red reflection on the blue knob looks cool.

So sad that Rieger is going out of business!

--Chris

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
It's good to know there's a substitute for the now-defunct Rieger. I almost gave my Rieger away w/my totalled car until I looked into it and realized they are no longer. I've also got the blue and it's a nice little touch. I get lots of comments on it.

As an added bit-o-bling, I had a cold cathode tube that matched the blue pretty good so I added a bit of extra light in the ashtray area. Don't know if it add or detracts but it's there until it burns out. Regardless, the lighted shift knob is a nice bit of eye-candy...

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Yeah I want one of these so badly. Its just hard to feel good spending 105 bucks when my stock knob still looks great and the economy remains uncertain.

crap. Guess it comes down to personal preference. I hate shifting with a ball.