If you are considering buyback which cars are you looking at as replacements?

feinborg

TDI
jetta 2.0
Check out Honda Accords. A dealer near me has new '17 Accord Sport Sedans for $20k (probably ~$22k or so out the door). I drove one. Very nice car and very good price.
Honda is digging deep on their 2017 accords. I just got my gf in an 2017 Accord LX for $19,3XX plus an additional $500 with honda's recent college grad credit. Be aware that the 2018 accord is going to be completely redesigned and will more than likely be pretty awesome, so factor that into your decision on these cars. We leased my GF's car again so this wasn't an issue for us at this time.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
There are always deals to be had. You just need to study the effective techniques and timing.
You could do worse than to follow these recommendations. The link to the five-part article is in my sig line.
from: http://www.clark.com/beat-the-pricing-from-online-c
• First, find the best price offered by dealers on your favorite car-buying website. Get both a price for the car and a detailed “out-the-door” price, including motor vehicle department fees, sales taxes and any dealer charges for documentation, etc. Then keep that number in your hip pocket.
• On the weekend before the last 3, 4 or 5 consecutive weekdays of the month, check dealer inventories online. Many stores list it there. Choose 5 or 6 stores (ideally, but not necessarily, with cars you’d buy if the price were right), even if some are 50 or more miles away. More remote dealers may see you as a sale they’d never make and sell at a better price than they’d offer their neighbors.
• Call their Internet sales managers on the 1st morning if there are 3 consecutive weekdays, the 2nd morning if there are 4, the 3rd if there are 5. Describe the car you want in detail, say you’re ready to buy by month-end, that you’re contacting a limited number of dealers to get price proposals and you’d like to get one from that store. That you need both the price of the car and an itemized out-the-door price (with the details listed above) by phone or email by 11:00 AM the next morning. (Be sure they know your location, so they can figure the sales tax correctly.)
• Say you’ll call all responders that next afternoon, tell them the best out-the-door price and give them one shot at beating it. (It’s none of their business where it came from.) You’re ready to buy, and you want someone to knock your socks off at month-end. But you won’t buy from anyone who doesn’t participate from the beginning.
• The next morning call those you haven’t heard from by 11:00 AM, tell them you have proposals from other dealers and you’re waiting for their response. If any responses have been incomplete, call and ask for the missing info. Call everyone that afternoon with the best out-the-door offer. If the initial o-t-d price from the online car-buying site is the best Round 1 offer, use that price in those calls. (When you’re eliminating the cost of the middleman, that won’t happen often. But it could happen.)
• The store offering the best o-t-d price is the winner. “There will be no third round.” Ask the winner to confirm all the numbers via email because you hate surprises, and say you’re looking forward to giving that store nothing but the highest scores in the questionnaire about how you were treated. Make an appointment to sign the papers and pick up the car. Finally, as a courtesy, call the other dealers to thank them for participating.​

ALL good advise, I'm sure

Only thing I would add is NEVER sit in their chair.

Do it all from your phone and computer.

I agree they tend to give LOWER prices to "customers who are down the road motors.":D

The final point is get it ALL in writing via an Email.

Have it delivered to your house.

Pay in your front room ~~ with the car in the driveway:D

RoundHouse

Veteran Member
Audi and MB dealership service department hourly rates for starters.

Ha
For sure
A coworker of mine was looking for a used SUV and was looking at grand Cherokees and called me one day (they know I'm a gear head and restore antique cars and build 4 wd pickups ) wanting to ask about BMWs
Said the used BMWs were the same price as a used Cherokee and didn't understand why since the beemers cost so much new

I informed him the parts and service were outrageous, he didn't believe me , so I said just call a BMW dealer and tell them you need pads and rotors on all four wheels and an alternator and water pump replacement for a 2013 Model

Then call the jeep dealership and get a quote for the same thing

You DO NOT want to own a European car after the warranty runs out

We were pondering what to replace ours with but turns out
Our beetle is just old enough that it doesn't qualify for the buyback

Mrs roundhouse has always liked Karman Ghia's and a friend of mine has a 73 convertable for sale
I was hoping the missus would want that or a maybe a 60s mustang convertable

I'm Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

adamek

TDI
2002 VW TDI Beetle, 2012 VW Jetta SportWagen TDI
Ground Clearance

I want to get back into an SUV, I miss my Tiguan. However, the current model is too expensive and missing options I'd like. I've driven a new Subaru with their advanced cruise control and really like it. So a Outback or Forester would be an option. I also like the Ford Edge, or perhaps the C-Max.
I liked the C-Max I test drove, but I'd like a little more ground clearance. I understand that low ground clearance can help mileage, but my SportWagen grounds out at the top of my driveway if I have four people in it. I need better ground clearance.

I'm leaning towards a Subaru Forester or Honda CR-V.

Pappa Grande

TDI
2015 GSW S 6sp [was 2013 Passat TDI 6sp & was 2002 Golf]
Ah thank you both. I really like the hybrid, but its outside my price range. That seem like a no brainer at less than $20k for an accord. I'll go check it out.

Honda is digging deep on their 2017 accords. I just got my gf in an 2017 Accord LX for $19,3XX plus an additional $500 with honda's recent college grad credit. Be aware that the 2018 accord is going to be completely redesigned and will more than likely be pretty awesome, so factor that into your decision on these cars. We leased my GF's car again so this wasn't an issue for us at this time.

Tenebrae

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 VW Jetta TDI Premium with Nav TURNED IN 03/10/2017
Hubby's mom has the Honda Accord V6 coupe from 2013 I think. It has plenty of power, but feels so large compared to my Jetta. Have to admit that the pricing and reputation / reliability on the Hondas is quite good. Definitely worth a look if you're on a tight budget.

-T.

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
Everything is either an appliance, weaker than a can of peaches, or over priced.

The TDI wagon was perfect for me. Now I dont know WHAT to do.

If VW would offer a killer deal, I might get a gas wagon. Them not playing ball pisses me off, and makes me want to go elsewhere

Im strongly considering saying to hell with my 'minimums' and looking at CPO 3 series wagons, or volvo V60 R types.

Americans are idiots. They'd rather drive some POS appliance of an SUV, than a good, swift wagon that gets better econ. The only alternate hope Im holding out for is the new CX5 for 2017. Skyactiv D? Gas? Maybe.

Last edited:

Jimbo70

Veteran Member
TDI
None currently
People switch auto brands all the time. I think a lot of the CR owners who are now turning their cars in are not loyal VW owners. They'll go where the best deal is on a vehicle that's acceptable to them. And when a few years have gone by they'll switch again, if it appears advantageous. Nothing wrong with that.
When the Passat goes my garage will be VW free for the first time in 24 years. I've been on TDIClub since 2003. I'm loyal, but I'm not blind.

goodysgotacuda

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Goft TDI/6spd & Jetta TDI/DSG
They may be looking at it pragmatically. The number of people affected by the scandal is relatively tiny compared to the overall vehicle buying public. While those owners - myself included - may be pissed off, they're the only ones. Nobody else gives a crap. And some portion of those affected are such fanboys that Matthias Müller could literally take a dump on their driver's seat and they'd still buy nothing but VWs.
I think they've calculated that the overall impact on their sales numbers will be small. People are going to forget about this scandal. The financial cost is the worst part for them, but they'll recover without issue.

Be that as it may, I feel better telling those I know who are car shopping to avoid VW/Audi.

will083031

TDI
2005 Jetta 2013 Jetta
Audi and MB dealership service department hourly rates for starters.
Yes thank you for that advice I called BMW for quote on oil change I never got a price just service dept wanting me to make appointment. I almost bought a 2015 X5 xdrive35d less than 25K miles decent price till I saw car fax 2 owners front end damage and no CPO either. While I was at dealership went to service dept and they quoted me a price of 170.00 for oil change

sdeck

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, 253K, 01M, DLC520s, VNT-17(sold); 2014 Passat SE 6M, 61,000 miles (Feb 16 buyback date)
Bought a 2017 Chevy Volt LT w/leather and Bose. $4500 dealer discount from MSRP, $7500 federal tax credit, $5000 Colorado tax credit, $700 Costco cash card. I drive 55 miles to work and can get there on 0-0.3 gallons of gas depending on outside temps. Work has free charging for employee electric cars so drive home is basically free. Had it 2 weeks now, 1200 miles and I've used about 5 gallons gas. Thing is crazy quiet and stereo is not bad.

SOCALGAL

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan & 2013 Jetta Wagon
Just placed the factory order on my Wrangler Unlimited Sahara in Firecracker Red, super excited! I joined the Jeep and Wrangler forums and researched the product and pricing. Got a price quote from our local dealer, MSRP base price plus license, taxes and fee, then got a price quote from a large dealership out of state, invoice less 6% plus tax, license, fee. When I showed the local dealer my out of state quote he said what's the 6%, I said off invoice. He couldn't come close to matching it and said that was a great deal and I should get it from the out of state dealer. I had already calculated out all the options, I felt like Kramer and Newman in the Michigan bottle scam, LOL.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1blsZxXDCU

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
Accord Sport looks great, but no CarPlay (stupid Honda) is a deal-killer, particularly since their center stacks are so proprietary you'll never get an aftermarket CarPlay unit in there either (stupid Honda).

Jettas look like a killer deal right now based on the prices ALL my local dealers are advertising on their own websites, but after a few inquiries it seems there is some sort of magical combination of luck and fate required to actually get those advertised prices. I thought we were past the days of the bait-and-switch pricing schemes of the newspaper-only days? And why does VW allow this type of predatory-pricing advertising by its dealers???

forcedfedbug

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta, Totalled late 11. 2012 Passat TDI w/DSG and a 2012 Golf TDI. Golf traded for a 2013 beetle
I was thinking about quite the opposite with my next car. Since I an now able to let go of my 13 beetle I told my wife I wanted to get a dream car. I got a 16 plum crazy challenger with a 5.7 hemi. I drive 108 miles a day and this car is just as good at creating fun times as the beetle was at getting great gas mileage.

Ron

bubbagumpshrimp

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta TDI
I was thinking about quite the opposite with my next car. Since I an now able to let go of my 13 beetle I told my wife I wanted to get a dream car. I got a 16 plum crazy challenger with a 5.7 hemi. I drive 108 miles a day and this car is just as good at creating fun times as the beetle was at getting great gas mileage.

Ron
I'll be getting a Ram with that engine. That thing sounds awesome. The fuel economy isn't bad, by full-size truck standards, either.

14PassatTDISE

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Got a 2014 CPO 328i with,
Nav
Sport Package
Premium Package
Driver assist
Alpine White Ext
Coral Red Int
21000 miles
Original MSRP $48,500
Paid $25,900 + Tax
Feel like I could get them down by another $500 minimum, but the wife REALLY likes the red seats, and I think the salesman saw something in my wife's eyes and he would not come down any further.

Mike91326

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
Bought a 2017 Chevy Volt LT w/leather and Bose. $4500 dealer discount from MSRP, $7500 federal tax credit, $5000 Colorado tax credit, $700 Costco cash card. I drive 55 miles to work and can get there on 0-0.3 gallons of gas depending on outside temps. Work has free charging for employee electric cars so drive home is basically free. Had it 2 weeks now, 1200 miles and I've used about 5 gallons gas. Thing is crazy quiet and stereo is not bad.
I also got the Volt LT w/leather and heated seats. I just did the Costco survey and the Costco rep said I will get my $700 Costco cash card in about four weeks. That will be good for 2 to 3 trips to Costco. :D

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
Feel like I could get them down by another $500 minimum, but the wife REALLY likes the red seats, and I think the salesman saw something in my wife's eyes and he would not come down any further.
LOL, that was the part of the process where you were supposed to tell your wife to go hide in the bathroom for a bit. ;)

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Diesel Colorado for under $30k

Noting the GM/Costco offer, i went shopping for a Colorado 4x4 Duramax and was disappointed- Local dealers had hardly any, and they were loaded crew cabs with short boxes and listed for $45k and up. So I played around at the GM Fleet website, and came up with this:

It's a Duramax diesel powered extended cab long box in the cheaper WT trim, order guide says it's available for fleet and government orders only. List is around $36k, given the current incentives I suspect it might be possible to buy for a bit under $30k. That makes the diesel Colorado competitive...

CDubber

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta SportWagen TDI
I'll be getting a Ram with that engine. That thing sounds awesome. The fuel economy isn't bad, by full-size truck standards, either.
Love driving our Durango R/T with the Hemi. That exhaust sound is glorious.

But I hate putting gas in the thing (though surprisingly it does as well as my previous '04 Pilot with the V6).

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
Got a 2014 CPO 328i with,
Nav
Sport Package
Premium Package
Driver assist
Alpine White Ext
Coral Red Int
21000 miles
Original MSRP $48,500
Paid $25,900 + Tax

Seems like you got a real good deal. What were they asking for it originally?

atomicfront

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Jetta wagon tdi
Yes thank you for that advice I called BMW for quote on oil change I never got a price just service dept wanting me to make appointment. I almost bought a 2015 X5 xdrive35d less than 25K miles decent price till I saw car fax 2 owners front end damage and no CPO either. While I was at dealership went to service dept and they quoted me a price of 170.00 for oil change
Do it yourself. X5 is pretty far off the ground an oil change should be easy enough. You will still pay a pretty penny for all the synthetic oil you need but it would be a lot cheaper than 170 dollars.

Borsig

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2015 GSW SEL (buyback), 2011 JSW (sold)
We loked at the rav 4 hybrid today.

NO. What an uncomfortable, overpriced soulless POS.

Volvo V60 was nice. very nice.

Right now its between

GSW TSI
V60
2017 yet to be seen CX5 Skyactiv D.

Theyre giving 7k off wagons in NoVA now. But none have HID, and HID are all special order. I wont buy a car without xenons.

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
I'm still waiting for some financial stuff, so I don't want to pull the trigger just yet... but I'm afraid I'm going to miss all of the great end-of-year deals. It's killing me.

Vidgamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI (turned in)
We loked at the rav 4 hybrid today.

NO. What an uncomfortable, overpriced soulless POS.
Our other car is a RAV4. Sure, it's not a sports car, but compared to the "average" car, I like it. It is surprisingly quick for a 4 cyl SUV, gets decent gas mileage, and handles pretty well for something with that high of a center-of-gravity. I will not take it racing ;-) but it is not soulless. Maybe the Hybrid is, I don't know. I'd take the RAV4 again over a ton of cars, maybe even one I test-drove the other day, and I'm trying to look at sportier cars. Oh well.

Carphuntin_god

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2-door 6-speed
i've probably pulled the rav4 hybrid from my list. found out the passenger seat doesn't have as much legroom as the driver's. My knees hit the dash.
Sat in a friend's Mazda CX5... Liked that. May limp along with my dad's f150 until fall, and then see what how the cx5 diesel is.

14PassatTDISE

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SE
Seems like you got a real good deal. What were they asking for it originally?
They were asking $27900. This was a lease return.

We also got the extended maintenance plan (6 yrs 100k miles) for $2400. I figured since VW is subsidizing this and it covers brake pads and rotors, so what the hell.

d4rksabre

TDI
2015 Golf S
So in all seriousness, I drove my '96 Roadmaster to the local Chevy dealer on Monday and picked up a '14 Impala 2LT.
What a great car. Chevy really knocked it out of the park with the re-design.
The trunk space sold me. It's downright cavernous.