I no longer belong at TDIClub, but I will definitely be back...

Brian.Burress

Veteran Member
Copperas Cove, TX most of the Time, Lebanon, IN us
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, TipTronic GONE...
Well, I hate to let the TDI go, but my wife and I needed a bigger vehicle to haul our 2 kids and 3 dogs around on our somewhat frequent road trips to Indiana. I traded in the 04 VW on an 03 Dodge Ram 3500 with the 5.9 Cummins and a 6-speed manual transmission. I sure miss the mileage of the VW, but I don't miss how cramped we were in it. I already have plans to get another one after I get back from Korea. This time, I'm getting a bigger one, though. Probably an 05.5 or 06 Jetta (hopefully a wagon if I can talk the wife into it). I really like the CR, but with all this issues I keep reading about the HPFP I'm not sure I want to get into one. The 04 I had was supposedly plagued with Cam issues, but I never had any. I want to get something just as reliable as my 04, but my next time around, I'm definitely getting a manual transmission.

Any thoughts, good or bad?

-Brian

Brian.Burress

Veteran Member
TDI
Brian -

What about an 03 Wagon? No PD cam issues, no problems. Or look for a B4V - possibly a money pit, but more room for wife, kids, and dogs. Or a VR6 GLX in nice shape to convert to TDI power?
I've actually thought about going with a 99.5-03 just for the fact of the much better fuel economy of the VE motor. In fact, I recommended them to everyone that asked me about my 04 if all they were after was economy.

-Brian

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
I started reading with trepidation and was relieved to see that you traded for another diesel- good call. Have fun in Korea, I spent some time there in the early 90s and it is an interesting place. Hope to see you back in the future.

Brian.Burress

Veteran Member
TDI
I started reading with trepidation and was relieved to see that you traded for another diesel- good call. Have fun in Korea, I spent some time there in the early 90s and it is an interesting place. Hope to see you back in the future.
Definitely got a diesel. Can't beat the mileage, especially when loaded. I will definitely be back, it's just a matter of when. You can't beat the TDI for FE. I'm seriously considering a 99.5-03, but if an 04-05 comes about with a manual transmission I wouldn't necessarily pass on it. On the other hand, if I get and 05.5-06 with a manual I think we could possibly get rid on the Nissan, considering we would have the extra space that the 04 couldn't give us.

Thanks for the good wishes in Korea. I plan to make the best of it, and hopefully get promoted while there.

One more thing that made the trade-in a little easier was the fact that the VW didn't drive the same way after it got rear-ended. The right rear tire wore kind of funny, and neither of the rear doors opened without emitting a loud "clunk" noise. Also, my mileage was never the same. My only guess is because of the weird tire wear on the right rear, possibly from frame damage.

Also, I haven't ever even seen your F250 (in your signature) and already like it other than the transmission. I was searching for either a Dodge with a 5.9 Cummins and manual or a Ford with a 7.3 Power Stroke and manual. I wouldn't settle for anything else and I'm glad I didn't. I got a lot of calls from dealerships for autos and 6.0's, but I kindly declined. :)

-Brian

Last edited:

Honeydew

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Passat DSG
I got a lot of calls from dealerships for autos and 6.0's, but I kindly declined. :)
Yeah the 6-oh! will quickly become the 6$$-No! The auto trans in the 7.3s are kind of like the 99-03 TDI autos with a slightly better life expectancy and reliability. There are some really good aftermarket options with lifetime warranties which cost less than a factory replacement TDI 01m auto. My 7.3 had the 01-specific mechanical diode but was rebuilt by Ford at 51K miles under warranty using upgraded parts (no mechanical diode). I take it easy and it has given no trouble but when it dies I'll take it to BTS in Arkansas. A well-regarded rebuilt engine is cheaper than the upgraded trans. It's all way cheaper than a new truck and I plan to be driving this one ten years from now!
If my wife's input had been irrelevant I'd be driving a Gen1 12v cummins manual extended cab 4X4.:D