I need a affordable diesel truck for a project with my 12 year old

Simonisaac

TDI
2013 passat
I want to start a project with my 12 year old son to restore a diesel pickup truck With the hopes of running B100 or veggie oil. Please let me know if you know of good makes and models to look for.
Any ideas would be appreciated
thank you

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I want to start a project with my 12 year old son to restore a diesel pickup truck With the hopes of running B100 or veggie oil. Please let me know if you know of good makes and models to look for.
Any ideas would be appreciated
thank you
An old idi truck would be best for using b100. The Ford 6.9/7.3 idi, Chevrolet 6.2/6.5, or one of the small trucks from the 80's Mazda, Mitsubishi, ford,Chevrolet, Toyota, etc.

Ragdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf SEL TDi
An old idi truck would be best for using b100. The Ford 6.9/7.3 idi, Chevrolet 6.2/6.5, or one of the small trucks from the 80's Mazda, Mitsubishi, ford,Chevrolet, Toyota, etc.
If you go with a Ford 7.3, you'll need to replace any rubber hoses/orings/etc that aren't up to the rubber eating veggie oil
I had several issues with my 96, but the 02 did just fine

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I bought an old Mitsubishi pickup for that reason, but it was a big mistake. After I bought it, I discovered that engine parts for it were almost non-existent in the US. It took several weeks to find a set of piston rings, and it was impossible to find a new head in this continent (Australia seems to have a lot of them, though), so I had to have a shop weld up a number of cracks. That truck was the same as the Dodge D50 (mini-truck), and Mitsu sold a few cars with the same engine here. If you look at any of the smaller foreign brands, research parts availability before grabbing something. Naturally, an older VW IDI has great parts availability, as would the Ford and Chevy pickups mentioned above.

I will say the Mitsubishi ran great on B100, and had a nice aroma from the exhaust :D

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I bought an old Mitsubishi pickup for that reason, but it was a big mistake. After I bought it, I discovered that engine parts for it were almost non-existent in the US. It took several weeks to find a set of piston rings, and it was impossible to find a new head in this continent (Australia seems to have a lot of them, though), so I had to have a shop weld up a number of cracks. That truck was the same as the Dodge D50 (mini-truck), and Mitsu sold a few cars with the same engine here. If you look at any of the smaller foreign brands, research parts availability before grabbing something. Naturally, an older VW IDI has great parts availability, as would the Ford and Chevy pickups mentioned above.

I will say the Mitsubishi ran great on B100, and had a nice aroma from the exhaust :D
Oh yeah, the other obvious one is a rabbit pickup...
I had a Mitsubishi, a Mazda, a Ford ranger and my dad had a Chevy luv as well as a 6.9 and 7.3 idi and a 7.3 power stroke.
The hardest one to find parts for was the Ford ranger with the Perkins. Second the Mitsubishi. But that engine was common overseas, so there was availability.
The easiest of the small diesel pickups I've found to find parts for is the rabbit pickups.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Do you have a large supply of oil? It isn't like the old days when you could get paid for taking it or even getting it for free even. If you don't have a large source of oil I might reconsider this aspect of your plan. You could still make small good batches for use as an additive and learning exercise. I used to make 5 gallons a week for my old tdi. My 7.3's I have owned would require way more than that. My oil source dried up and I bought a later model tdi.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Do you have a large supply of oil?
I was able to get B100 at a station not too distant from home. But the last time I checked there they didn't offer Bio-D in any flavor. I'd have to go into Seattle to find it now, and I don't step foot in that city if at all possible anymore.

I don't think it's reasonable to make your own any longer unless, as you say, you have a confirmed and steady source of feedstock.

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
I was wondering about the Wrangler diesel too…

Second the vote for Dodge Cummins. My 1999 was very happy on WVO for a long time. Parts are plentiful and reasonably priced. The truck may be expensive; they seem to hold their value really well.

williambill

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
I second the 7.3 powerstroke and third the 12v 5.9 Cummins. The powerstroke’s interior will hold up better. I personally ran b100 in my 7.3.