I hate D

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
But love S

Thought I cared about the mileage, but sluggish and early shifting D changed my mind. I only drive in S

Curious what other DSG owners think

Caveat - I only have 1k miles on it so far

torrimac

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sedan DSG
I suggest getting a DSG tune. I did not like S at all before. The shift points were horrible for the TDI engine. It would allow it to get to way to high RPM before shifting.

D was ok but at low speeds, approx 15-20 sometimes it would buck requiring me to go to manual and force it to stay in one gear.

I can't tell you how much different it is having the Malone DSG tune. Spendy, but worth it all around.

D no longer bucks, shifts much faster and starts much quicker without the jerkyness.

S shifts at the correct times now for the diesel engine. It does not get to the super high RPM's. Seems like it is mapped for the power band of the diesel instead of for a gasser.

M stays in gear now, it does not automatically upshift. Something to get used to but good at the same time.

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
With tune do you drive in D or S now? How much $? Did you only do DSG tune or did you get engine tune also? If I get DSG tune, can I no longer take it to VW for service?

herbz

TDI
2011 Jetta Highline TDI
D used to be sluggish/jerky for me but last service I had they reflashed the trans and now its silky smooth. Most of my problems came from low rpm/no throttle input situations where it was almost going to stall and just generally being in the wrong gear.

If you want to save some $$ try a dealer reflash before a tune.

torrimac

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sedan DSG
With tune do you drive in D or S now? How much $? Did you only do DSG tune or did you get engine tune also? If I get DSG tune, can I no longer take it to VW for service?

Normal everyday on my commute back and forth to work (40 miles) I drive in D. I'm looking for higher MPG's there.

If I go to the city then I will put it in S mode because it gives some better response and makes me happier.

I will use manual mode for down shifts and what not instead of the brakes.

When I did mine I did a DPF/EGR delete and had a Malone Stage 2 and DSG tune done. I was in a position where I needed to do something with my DPF and in the long haul removing it all together will be cheaper for me. I did everything for about $1450; tunes($1050) parts ($700) minus what I got for scrap so far. I still have some used parts that I could sell and some scrap that might be worth a few dollars sitting in the garage.

parts I put on.

Buzzken Down pipe and mid pipe connected to factory muffler. No resonator or cat in my system. It smells a little but I do not mind.
Race pipe from fixmyvw.com installs perfectly and has a tap for the next part.
Newsouth performance mechanical boost gauge. I have it installed in a custom pod in the bottom left corner of the wind screen where it meets the A pillar/dash.
ESP/Traction control off button

I got all my parts from fixmyvw.com I waited for good deals and what not. They had a month were shipping was free if you ordered any of their exhaust stuff and I got most of it then.

If you want I can give you links to exactly what I ordered.

Last edited:

ChiTownPilot

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI + Premium
Good grief - how do you pass emissions testing?
Not sure if this is your first diesel or not but you may want to check into your state's rules regarding emission testing. Here in Indiana ALL diesel powered vehicles are exempt from emissions testing even though gassers still require it. Not that I'm condoning an illegal mod... But perhaps MA is like that as well.

Last edited:

bring

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Jetta SEL, DSG
I'm trying to find info on DSG tuners near Boston. The Malone website doesn't appear to be updated as the closest place I contacted said they don't do it. Tried search here but came up empty. Thx.

torrimac

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 TDI Sedan DSG
Some places will tune ECU's but not the Trans. Email malone directly and see if they can help?

I know there is a shop out there that does some stuff at the Amazing level, but it would be a drive for you.

8085 Route 104
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA 17853

Phone: 570-539-8333
Web: germandieselmotorwerks.com

I think you can "rent" the programmer and do it your self if you are inclined.

dmanb2b

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta, 2011 335D
Some places will tune ECU's but not the Trans. Email malone directly and see if they can help?

I know there is a shop out there that does some stuff at the Amazing level, but it would be a drive for you.

8085 Route 104
Mount Pleasant Mills, PA 17853

Phone: 570-539-8333
Web: germandieselmotorwerks.com

I think you can "rent" the programmer and do it your self if you are inclined.
Yes, amazing work. I am a very satisfied customer. FWIW, I am running all emmissions equip in place and am thrilled how well Stage 2 behaves with the DSG tune.

Nick_F

TDI
2015 Jetta TDi Highline
Im always in manual mode with the dsg

the S mode has to much lag in-between shifts.

When I'm crushing i just put it back in D

ZippyNH

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 JETTA TDI SE
Not sure why you think that is not right? That is how you should be downshifting if you were driving a manual. It is matching the rev's of the motor to the speed that it will be spinning when the clutches engage. It saves the clutches and internal parts from the abrupt RPM change. Think of it as a perfectly executed (although computer controlled) heel-n-toe downshift.
Yup...that is EXACTLY how a tranny is shifted if it has no syncro's..... Rev matching on the downshifts...
Done right, a tranny and clutch can last a lonnnnnnnnng time....actually the best way to do it even on a tranny with syncro's.... Avoids forcing a motor to be revved by the drivetrain... Not as fun, admiddidly....

MN_TDI12

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI DSG w/Nav
I'm trying to find info on DSG tuners near Boston. The Malone website doesn't appear to be updated as the closest place I contacted said they don't do it. Tried search here but came up empty. Thx.
Drop Mark or Andrew (fixmyVW.com) an email regarding the DSG tune. This is something you can do yourself. They will send you the tuner box. You will have to remove the airbox and connect the tuner, download the current program, email it to Mark and he will do his magic and send you back the new program to be uploaded to the PCM.

If you search Andrew's site, he has a youtube video showing just how easy it is. I waited about a year and a half from the time I got the 1.5 engine tune (the DSG tuner was broken) and I'll say I don't know why I waited so long. It's a whole 'nother car!