I guess it's my turn (HELP NEEDED)

think diesel

Veteran Member
I guess it\'s my turn (HELP NEEDED)

My TDI went boom.

Now I have a lovely 1 1/2 hour bus and train trek to work every day until I have some cash to fix it.

Here's what happened.

I am driving down the highway at about 75 or 80 mph and suddenly I hear this abrupt "PsshOOOOOO!" sound followed by an immediate deepening in the exhaust note and strange "surging" from the turbo. I slow down to 55 and limp off the next exit. There is no perceptable loss in power, but the exhaust is much louder than usual and the car surges and bucks a little under even gentle acceleration. Theres a nice greasy thick dark gray cloud of smoke following me around I notice too. I also notice that the spooling of the turbo is easy to hear, normally its not. I step on the throttle and hear "weeez, weez" from the turbo as if it's spinning more freely than usual.

That's my story. Now I understand why people get pissed off when something goes really wrong. I was already fantasizing about a new car in a year or so before this happend (was going to be an Audi, VW or Mercedes) only change now is that I am even more interested in new car and I am thinking more along the lines of a nice naturally aspirated Subaru Forester or the upcoming Honda Element.

In the meantime, the Jetta sits collecting dust in my parking space.

Any ideas what this could be, so I at least know what I am up against?

Thanks guys...

Ryan

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
Re: I guess it\'s my turn (HELP NEEDED)

I had that happen one time, blew off intercooler tube because I forgot to put the clamp back on. Sceared the crap outa me. Sounded just like you described. Lucky for me I was two blocks from home and did a proper reinstall. Talk about feeling like a dork, I did.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat

If one of the turbo output hoses popped off ( which this sure sounds like it)its an easy inexpensive fix. You'll have to check the connections leaving the turbo to the intercooler and then from the intercooler to the intake manifold. Buy a "Spring Clamp Plires" from Sears and that is about all you need.

think diesel

Veteran Member

Sweet. I hope you guys are right..... I will check tonight, thanks.

I drove about 5 miles in this condition, could that cause any permanent damage?

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.

Think,

Definitely follow up with us. I'm very curious to find out whether this turns out to be a minor incident or a major failure. I'd also be interested to hear your outlook on a potential replacement, if it turns out just to be a minor uh-oh.

Good luck.

~BeetleGo

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD

Ryan,

Any update?? Did you check all connections??

At your Turbo, Lower intercooler pipe, after the intercooler(upper intercooler pipe)and just before the EGR.

Lito

Nutsnbolts

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2000 Jetta, Silver Arrow

Tick, tock, tick, tock, tick, tock.

Anybody know how the diesel thinker made out???

-Rich

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta

This is the CLASSIC blown turbo line symptoms. A VERY easy problem to fix, and it will definently cause no harm to the car. Once you fix it, it will continue to blow alot of black smoke for a few hard takeoffs, but this is good and you should drive the car hard to clean out the catyltic converter so it doesnt get destroyed and plugges with all that soot.

On the other hand, I realize you were probably crapping your pants in those 5 miles home, but did you at least make use of the new ability to soot like a madman? Its very fun to get in front of somebody in an excursion and soot them

car54

theGAME
TDI
2002 Jetta

They Think diesel.. if you need help locating the problem, I couldnt be that far away (northern VA isnt that big), so gimme a call and we can meet up sometime and take a look if you want another opinion and some help fixing it.

571-330-6882 24hr cell

Vhunter

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 silver Jetta 5spd TDI

He mentioned that there was 'There is no perceptable loss in power,' .. that does NOT sound like the turbo boost hose blew off. If it did, I could see there would be smoke, but power would be down a LOT. Remember when Lawson's boost hose was popped off at Hondo's last year? He killed many insects, but could hardly make it up the driveway.

Anyhow.. I hope that what ever it is, is not going to be to costly.. and I hope to hear what the problem turns out to be.

Drive ON!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e

Hehehe, sooting is fun.

Anyway, if there is no perceptible loss in power, either you're not trying hard enough, or it isn't an intake pipe.

Ryan, when the turbo is on-boost, does it pull hard like it should, or does it feel gutless and spew black smoke?

I'm in Arlington if you want to come over and have me take a look at it for you, or you can go to car54's in Woodbridge, which is a farther drive (if you want to drive it that far in this condition). Either way we'll get this figured out for you.

My cell number is 703-593-7954, feel free to give me a call any time.