I gave too much throttle in reverse

The Horak

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI GL
Hey guys. I had my 2004 Jetta 5-speed in reverse today and I gave it more than I should have. Now my reverse gear is noticeably louder and putting the shifter into 1st is stiffer. The other gears are fine. Nothing grinds and none of the gears pop out with too much throttle. I just don't know what I did. Has anyone else ever done this? Am I wrecked?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Have you checked your engine mounts and linkages? They could be binding up. My daughters car felt like the throwout bearing was going out. Clutch felt funny and shifted different. Turned out to be a broken motor mount and the engine had shifted some and bound things up. Replaced that and everything is fine now.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
I tried that one day with my jacked up cummins.... showing off in front of friends in a long parking lot.... reversed at quite a high speed, accidently turned the wheel a little. got real wobbly real quick.. quite scary haha.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Lol. Gotta watch out for the death wobble in jacked up trucks. A kid just down the road wrecked his lifted jeep cherokee a few weeks ago going too fast, inducing the dreaded wobble, and lost control. He rolled it over, completely tore off the front axle, broke the transfer case wide open, and thoroughly stove up the jeep. He was lucky he survived.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
"Rear wheel steering" is problematic at speed.