I bought a new Mitsubishi Mirage

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
And it's strangely awesome...

I know there are folks on this site that appreciate minimalistic cars, and this is just that. I am averaging 48 MPG over the first 1500 miles, and have easily gotten 50+ out of it on two lane country roads. Combine that with $3.25 regular 87 here in W TN, and its super cheap to operate, and pretty impressive considering it's not even broken in yet.

But most importantly its FUN. Its got a tiny turning radius, a decent 5 speed (needs 6), and its super light (sub 2000) and is actually fairly quick and nimble (do not read that as fast)
Its got Bluetooth/USB/AUX, and cruise and foglights and whatnot.

Does it have it's flaws? Sure, but most cars do, and the good parts about it are so good, that the poor ones are pretty easy to look past.

I still have my TDIs, but they are getting long in the tooth, and I needed something newer to pick up my 4 and 6 year old in (they love it as much as the Bug btw) and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't make a new(er) TDI come out on top of a 50 MPG car that I gave 12 grand for fully loaded.

I'm sure I'll get some ribbing, and even a few mocks on here, but I felt I ought to mention it in case any one here had half an urge to go look at one. Most of the online magazine type reviews aren't that good, but I truly believe its just a case of jaded ignorance.

Anyway, let me know if you agree or disagree. I've been around here for a long time, and I'm for sure not going anywhere. Like I said, the 5 TDIs aren't going anywhere. But Fuel conscious discussion is always good here.

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat TDI sedan (sold)
From what I've heard, the hypermilers love it -- they say it's the spiritual successor to the Geo Metro XFi.

Is the steering feel (or complete lack thereof) as bad as everyone says?

bigsexyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'98 NB, '04 Jetta
I don't think its as bad as people make it out to be, but it would def be better with more feel.

I think the one really weak spot is the suspension. I like my cars firm, and this is far from that. I think a good dampner set up and a rear sway bar will really help it out.

supton

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta Wagon GLS
Timing belt? How hard to do basic maintance? Tires cheap? Road noise low? Am curious, starting my shopping for the next commuter and have been ignoring Mitsubishi.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Appears it uses a chain. Tire size on both trim levels is 165/65R14, and Tire Rack only lists two tires in that size, the Bridgestone Potenza RE92 and Dunlop Enasave 01 A/S, both at $89. However, 185/60R14 is the same diameter, and there's tons of options in that size. Also, 13" is listed as a valid -1 size, and there's tons of options for cheap 175/70R13 tires. (Most of the good ones will be winter tires, but hey.)

There'll also be a good selection for cheap sticky 195/50R15 and 205/50R15 tires.

tdi90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6 speed(gone but NEVER forgotten)
And it's strangely awesome...

I know there are folks on this site that appreciate minimalistic cars, and this is just that. I am averaging 48 MPG over the first 1500 miles, and have easily gotten 50+ out of it on two lane country roads. Combine that with $3.25 regular 87 here in W TN, and its super cheap to operate, and pretty impressive considering it's not even broken in yet.

But most importantly its FUN. Its got a tiny turning radius, a decent 5 speed (needs 6), and its super light (sub 2000) and is actually fairly quick and nimble (do not read that as fast)
Its got Bluetooth/USB/AUX, and cruise and foglights and whatnot.

Does it have it's flaws? Sure, but most cars do, and the good parts about it are so good, that the poor ones are pretty easy to look past.

I still have my TDIs, but they are getting long in the tooth, and I needed something newer to pick up my 4 and 6 year old in (they love it as much as the Bug btw) and no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't make a new(er) TDI come out on top of a 50 MPG car that I gave 12 grand for fully loaded.

I'm sure I'll get some ribbing, and even a few mocks on here, but I felt I ought to mention it in case any one here had half an urge to go look at one. Most of the online magazine type reviews aren't that good, but I truly believe its just a case of jaded ignorance.

Anyway, let me know if you agree or disagree. I've been around here for a long time, and I'm for sure not going anywhere. Like I said, the 5 TDIs aren't going anywhere. But Fuel conscious discussion is always good here.
Maybe we should have a section called...TDI alternative Gassers
Congrats on the new car! Don't read the NYT cause it was not nice review .....but I really don't pay much attention to Auto Journalist anymore...The new small non turbo Jap cars (we have a new Nissan Micra in Canada not in USA this year that starts at 9995!) are getting super competitive...your Mitsu...My Mazda 3 (new body, base 6 speed)...and even the new Corolla 6 speed, and the classics such as Civic etc...are pretty tough competitors for our beloved TDIs...I am in TDI limbo for abut 2 years while VW gets its new Golf landed and proven with all new line, engines etc...Meanwhile I remain open to Gasoline advancements....Keep us Updated on your Mitsu mileage and general driving around talk....

DieselRacer

banned
TDI
BMW Advanced Diesel...2011 BMW 335d
Turbocharging changes the game for any engine, weather is for MPG or for all out performance, ECU+Turbocharging=awesome everything...