hybrid add ons?

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I think I recall hearing of a couple of diesel hybrids available in Europe. But diesel efficiency doesn't work as well in hybrid stop/go situations I believe. Engine never gets warm enough, I think. They would probably work well as a range extender for a PHEV, as they could be configured to run at a steady speed and tuned for maximum efficiency and minimum emissions. And being a diesel, the engine speed could likely stay low enough to not be intrusive in the cabin or the immediate area.

paradoxyl

TDI
I think I recall hearing of a couple of diesel hybrids available in Europe. But diesel efficiency doesn't work as well in hybrid stop/go situations I believe. Engine never gets warm enough, I think. They would probably work well as a range extender for a PHEV, as they could be configured to run at a steady speed and tuned for maximum efficiency and minimum emissions. And being a diesel, the engine speed could likely stay low enough to not be intrusive in the cabin or the immediate area.
How to make a Hybrid car. #Petrol+Electric - YouTube
i see some stuff out of india but i dont understand what they are saying

paradoxyl

TDI
How to make a Hybrid car. #Petrol+Electric - YouTube
i see some stuff out of india but i dont understand what they are saying
allo
and would there be a way to run the second alternator off the transmission like a transmission brake that would generate electricity and in stop/neutral generate recharge for a acceleration/take off and enough battery to run with a charge deficit for a 200 miles or so say

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
I always thought it would be nice if you could add an electric wheel motor of some kind to make a part time 4 wheel drive, just to get going in slippery spots. There is now a Prius that offers that.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I always thought it would be nice if you could add an electric wheel motor of some kind to make a part time 4 wheel drive, just to get going in slippery spots. There is now a Prius that offers that.
I was thinking a fairly "easy" solution that could be retrofitted to most any vehicle would be to make a powered wheel that could fit into a Reese type receiver hitch that could be raised and lowered from inside the car .....

It could provide extra "push" when needed (it takes surprising little power to get a vehicle moving or keep it moving in snow ) and raised up for more normal driving.

On long downhill descents , the wheel could be lowered back down to recharge the battery and /or offer offer braking by running a load through a resistor bank etc....

I suppose for real high performance applications the wheel could be lowered down to provide a little extra push and act as a wheelie bar too (parachute optional).

Andrew

philngrayce

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 Jetta, '06 Jetta, Both Gone '13 Leaf, Gone Liberty CRD, Subaru Forrester and MB300SD
Very clever idea, Andrew. I never thought if it that way, but I don’t see why it wouldn‘t work.

dhangejr

Veteran Member
TDI
mk4 Jetta
why, VW had done it...Too bad the musk pushed the EV market so hard. I guess to convert all cars to diesel is not tha tpracital either cuz there is far less diesel produced than gasoline during the refinement process. but for ****s and giggles....https://oilprice.com/Energy/Energy-General/300mpg-Diesel-Electric-Hybrid-Unveiled-by-Volkswagen.html

this thing is pretty bad ass!