Humming noise on '10 TDI DSG

Hornblower

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI
I have a '10 Jetta TDI DSG with about 10K miles so far. From the beginning, I have noticed a "humming" noise coming from the engine compartment that becomes louder at higher RPM's. It may be my imagination, but I seem to detect a slight amount of vibration as well. At any rate, I start noticing this noise around 65 MPH and it gets a little louder as the speed increases. What I'd like to know is whether this is normal for a TDI DSG car. The other thing I wonder about is the whole DMF issue and whether this might be related to that. Thanks for any comments you can offer. --Ken B.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
Could be most anything. It would be impossible to shed any light based on it being a "humming" sound. Your best bet is to schedule an appt. with your dealer. Expect them to tell you it's normal though. To my knowledge there have been no DMF failures on DSG's beyond '06 models, I may be wrong. Usually the failure sounds like marbles rolling around at idle.

Hornblower

TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan TDI
Thanks for that, Elf. Yeah, it's pretty tricky business to try to describe a noise. Using the word "humming" was the best I could come up with. I do know this...it's a sound that I have not heard before on other cars. At first, I assumed it was just the sound of a TDI, maybe the injectors or who knows what. It hasn't gotten any worse and it's not particularly disturbing, just noticeable. I guess what I was hoping for is to hear from other TDI owners that they, too, hear an unusual engine noise, possibly described as a "hum", as they're cruising down the highway at 70. That would give me some reassurance that I don't have some problem looming in my future.