//// How to remove rivnut ? ////

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi All,

Been plagued by a mysterious creaking noise every once in awhile so I figured I would look underneath the car and try to figure it out.

Most of the popping creaking noise came after my skid plate install and it was generally caused by loosening bolts so I decided to check that first

I removed the atlas skid plate and decided to check the torque on the four bolts holding the blue mounting brackets that secures the skid plate to the front of the car.

Three of the bolts were tight but one just spun so I know that Rivnut basically let loose.

I'm guessing the only way to get rid of the riv nut is to grind the head off the bolt and removed the blue mounting bracket.

Then I guess grind the rest of it flush with the frame rail and punch it through inside the frame?

I'm guessing there's no easy way to retrieve the Riv nut that let go and just leave it in there?

I'm a try loosening the bolt but I don't think that'll work because when I try tightening it it offered very little if any resistance.

If I can get the bolts out I guess a chisel to knock the outside edges in words would allow it to be pushed into the frame without needing to grind but I'm not thinking that's very likely

Anyways, I cannot think of any other way to do it but maybe I'm overlooking something ?.... so is there any better way to get rid of the Riv nut with a bolt in it so I can start another one?

Thanks
Andrew

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
I have this same issue. They are really held in there well and it's not easy to get to it. (I have the old style mounting setup with a aluminum tube I think)

I even tried wiggling the mount side to side to try breaking the bolt off but no luck. I figured if I could get to it and drill it out, I could modify it and install a another rivnut and then just drill a new hole in the skidplate to mount if it doesn't line up. I don't even know what it looks like up there off hand. Sorry probably doesn't help you much

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
I have this same issue. They are really held in there well and it's not easy to get to it. (I have the old style mounting setup with a aluminum tube I think)

I even tried wiggling the mount side to side to try breaking the bolt off but no luck. I figured if I could get to it and drill it out, I could modify it and install a another rivnut and then just drill a new hole in the skidplate to mount if it doesn't line up. I don't even know what it looks like up there off hand. Sorry probably doesn't help you much
Hi

I think I remember posting on your thread trying to come up with ideas of how to do it...

Now I'm kind of sort of in the same boat... well minus the tube I think mine may be a little different than your situation...

I'll have to sit and contemplate some more before grinding ... I hate to get it done halfway and mess something up but I think ultimately I believe that's what's going to have to happen ....good ol fashioned grinding.

Too bad it's in an awkward spot but I guess if not where's the fun in that ha...

Andrew

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Cut the head of the bolt off so that you can remove the skid plate and put a couple taks of weld on the rivnut to the frame. If that rivnut is spinning in there, the next one probably will too.