How to get my 2014 Sportswagen to recognize new cellphone?

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
Can anyone give me procedures to get the car to pick up the new LG G4 I just got?

Thanks

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I know nothing specific about the bluetooth in a 2014 VW, but I know a little about pairing phones. Usually you do not get the car to recognize the phone. The trick is to get the phone to recognize and connect to the car. Pairing has to be initiated from the phone. Somehow, in the phone's bluetooth setup, is an option to pair with an input/output device (your car's radio, or a Bluetooth ear piece, etc.). Choose that option (with your car's radio turned on) and the phone should see the car. This is where your car's owner's manual would be helpful. There might be radio setup option necessary or a password required. I know that this is not exactly what you want, but it is the best I can do.

Have Fun!

Don

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Most of what you need is on the MFD on the dash under phone.
I am old and uncool and I had to get out the owner's manual as well!
The most helpful answer was from frugality who gave you the right answer.

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Are you connected now? You said "new" phone, which suggests to me that your VW may already have phones stored in memory. I think the car can store only two. Disregard if you're connected. If you're not, let me know and I'll dig up the steps I took to purge old phones from my VW.

rcnaylor

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportswagen Silver
Mine has had 3 other phones. It did find the new one, once I got back in the groove on how to do it. And, fwiw, I didn't have to delete any. Don't know why

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
Sounds good!

I may have misread that perceived limitation to how many phones the phone could remember. In my case, I did NOT want the phone to pair or even ask to pair. But the car kept driving a pop-up on my phone. It was very annoying. I then learned how to use VCDS to purge all phones from the car's memory.

Glad that wasn't needed for you.

Take Care,

Scott