How to extract Cam Seal and/or Main Crank Seal...

Clatterman

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Golf GLS
I'm in the middle of a TB change at 130k miles. I'm searching for threads/photos on removing the cam seal without mucking up the head, and likewise for the crankshaft seal (without buying the VW tool).

Please advise, thanks in advance.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Crank seal I can't answer, but the cam seal is easy.

With the cam pulley off, remove the cam bearing cap that holds the seal in (2 bolts). Then you can simply take the seal off the end of the shaft.

When you install the new seal, position it on the shaft and apply a wee dab of black RTV sealant to each corner between the top of the head and the outside of the seal before you re-install the cam bearing cap.

Clatterman

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 Golf GLS
yes, remove the bearing cap.... done.

On to the crank seal. Bentley calls out tool #3203, which Zelenda has for $147. I don't think so....

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
You can remove the crank seal by unbolting the seal housing from the block and pan. The housing seals against the block with a paper gasket. The pan gasket is neoprene with a steel core and installed w/o sealer, so it should be undamaged by housing removal, but, to be honest, when I did this I replaced the pan gasket because it was seeping on the back side. Seepage on the back side of the pan is not uncommon...I've had it on both my (relatively) low mileage B4s.