How to drain coolant CJAA engine

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
Surely there's a drain? About to install a frost heater, and would rather avoid the "spill coolant all over the place" method. I have a fluid extractor that's pretty clean but it's been used for oil previously, so I don't know if I wanna stick it in my cooling system...

DrGERTol

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Variant (JSW) 6MT
No drain, as such. The repair manual says to remove the two hoses -1- from the Coolant Recirculation Pump 2 -V178- -2-:
Followed by quick release coupling of the lower radiator hose. --g

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I do not believe the sportwagon has a coolant circulation pump.... There really isn't a way without making a mess.

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
Okay, what if I used my extraction pump if I can get it really clean? Or a shop vac?? I'm not trying to do a coolant flush, just trying to get enough coolant out to install the frost heater without getting coolant everywhere. And yes, I'd be refilling with fresh coolant with a vacuum thingy.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Okay, what if I used my extraction pump if I can get it really clean? Or a shop vac?? I'm not trying to do a coolant flush, just trying to get enough coolant out to install the frost heater without getting coolant everywhere. And yes, I'd be refilling with fresh coolant with a vacuum thingy.
Inder your car. Pop the line off of your EGR cooler put your hand over the aluminum side and put the hose in a bucket. But remember to take the cap off your coolant bottle first. Or you can pop the quick connect off of your heater core.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
I was trying to not spill when I did it and was going to move into service position so I started with the top radiator hose, then the bottom. If I was to do it again I would just take the bottom one off. It’s messy but not horrible.