How to do your buyback calculations (& post them here!)

rrrcryst

TDI
1996 Passat TDI wagon,
vw slow as molasses on processing

The confusion, I think, stems from the way the buyback and restitution amounts are determined, which has been put out in the news quite a bit. The buyback amount is the clean trade-in value as of 9/15, plus 20%, plus $2986.73. The news has reported that as "car's value plus at least $5100". The "restitution" portion of that is the 20% plus $2986.73 (with a minimum of $5100), so the two numbers you're seeing are the trade-in value as of 9/15 and the restitution.

I'd really like to see VW break it out further:

• Base buyback amount
  • Plus (or minus, as appropriate) for each relevant piece of equipment
  • Plus or minus, as appropriate, for mileage
  • For 9/18/15-6/28/16 buyers, breaking down the restitution amount
...but it doesn't look like that's going to happen.

As far as the delivery location, that's locked in when you schedule your buyback. At that time, you can select any dealer you choose to return it to.
I completed my stuff on Dec 16th and got to choose a return date. I looked at 3 dealers within 25miles, the earliest date available was January 24th. Two of the dealers only had times in February. VW is keeping the money as long as they can.They certainly didn't waste time taking my money when I bought it new. My paid off 2014 Jetta wagon with 13,800miles on it brought an offer of $30046.73. My next car will be either a Ford Fusion or a Honda hybrid. I will still use my 96 Passat wagon with 179800 miles to go to the dump. I am not happy that I have to pay a year's personal property tax and registration for 24 days of use. Am thinking of parking it until January 24th and then having AAA tow it to the dealers. In my 55 years of driving I have had 4 VW diesels, 2 air-cooled VW squarebacks, a 71 Hippy VW van after 4 older Fords, a TR3, a 39 Dodge and a couple of 90's vintage Japanese sedans. Never a VW again. With the current traffic and road rage out there I want all the safety and warning features I can get with maybe a side holster in the left door pocket for extra insurance.

Passat15

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE - Sold to VW
I just want to make sure I'm clear on the calculations. As of January 2017, we should enter 16 months (since Sept 2015)? I ask because based on the calculations, I should get about $500 more when I turn my car in on 1/5. But if I still enter 15 months, it's less the $500.

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
I just want to make sure I'm clear on the calculations. As of January 2017, we should enter 16 months (since Sept 2015)? I ask because based on the calculations, I should get about $500 more when I turn my car in on 1/5. But if I still enter 15 months, it's less the $500.
Is it 9/1/15 or 9/15/15 you count from? I thought it was the 15th.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
I completed my stuff on Dec 16th and got to choose a return date. I looked at 3 dealers within 25miles, the earliest date available was January 24th. Two of the dealers only had times in February. VW is keeping the money as long as they can.They certainly didn't waste time taking my money when I bought it new. My paid off 2014 Jetta wagon with 13,800miles on it brought an offer of $30046.73. My next car will be either a Ford Fusion or a Honda hybrid. I will still use my 96 Passat wagon with 179800 miles to go to the dump. I am not happy that I have to pay a year's personal property tax and registration for 24 days of use. Am thinking of parking it until January 24th and then having AAA tow it to the dealers. In my 55 years of driving I have had 4 VW diesels, 2 air-cooled VW squarebacks, a 71 Hippy VW van after 4 older Fords, a TR3, a 39 Dodge and a couple of 90's vintage Japanese sedans. Never a VW again. With the current traffic and road rage out there I want all the safety and warning features I can get with maybe a side holster in the left door pocket for extra insurance.
vw brought this on itself

only way I (pesonally) will go vw again, is with a very LARGE MSRP reduction

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
How "large?" Some models are selling for $6000 off MSRP. Combine that with the $1000 already received via Goodwill Program and the restitution ($6663 in my case); the "reduction" is pretty deep.

Luv My 02 TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta MK5(2010) and MK6(2015)
I am now reading what other had this is what my receipt says:
Vehicle: 2010 Jetta Sedan 4D TDI
VIN: 3VWRL7AJ1AM118794

SELECTED OPTION - BUYBACK. Under the buyback option, Volkswagen of America, Inc. repurchased your vehicle for a total of $14,900.00 as broken down below:
$ 9,800.00 Vehicle Return Amount
$ 5,100.00 Additional Restitution Payment
$ 0.00 Total Amount Before Loan PayOff
$ 0.00 Total Outstanding Loan Amount on
$ 0.00 Amount VW Will Pay Your Lender
--------------------------------------------------------
$ 14,900.00 Amount VW Paid You

MILEAGE. The vehicle mileage at the time of vehicle return was: 80622 miles.

Passat15

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE - Sold to VW
Is it 9/1/15 or 9/15/15 you count from? I thought it was the 15th.

Just looked, it's sept 18th....bummer

My dad just took his 2012 in. On his contract they put an amount but didn't add power sunroof and nav. When he got to the dealer for the buyback the rep would only honor the number that was on the contract, and not what their own website calculations came up with.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
The rep doesn't calculate anything--they enter the mileage into the online system, it knows the car's equipment from the VIN, and it determines the payment on that basis. None of the official numbers (i.e., the ones on the claims portal, the ones in the offer letter, or the ones in the buyback receipt) break out value additions or subtractions based on value.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
How "large?" Some models are selling for $6000 off MSRP. Combine that with the $1000 already received via Goodwill Program and the restitution ($6663 in my case); the "reduction" is pretty deep.

IMO the $1,000 good will is part of the deal I made 17 months ago ~~ my 2015 Gold DSG Silver TDi

IMO the "DEEP" term is used as a PERCENTAGE off of MSRP

I am not a buyer of any car(s) over the mid-high range of the 20K area.

.... sooooo 20 % ~~ 25 % off of MRSP is a good area for me to start looking

Same goes for Camry, Civic, Corolla, Accord, etc.

TDIsaver

TDI
Multiple
Not exactly sure what you are asking. But i'll try to help.

Yes, a Jan 2017 return date will allow for 16-month adjustment. (subtract 16 x 1042 mi)

(Note: The day of the month does not matter, only the month).

A return at 15 months (Dec) vs. 16 months (Jan) is not guaranteed to get you a higher buyback amount. If your adjusted mileage does not drop into a lower 5000-mile adjusted mileage bracket based on the extra 1042 mi/month adjustment, then your buyback amount will not change.

Hope this helps.

sagelk

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S
my offer letter was about $1000 less than what the online calculators give. Will the adjust it to the correct amount when I turn the car in or are the online calculators off a little?
Thanks.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
The online calculators are drawn directly from the FTC tables. As long as you aren't counting options you don't have, and/or don't apply to your car; and you enter the correct mileage and date of turn-in, the number given by the online calculator will match what you get at turn-in.

sagelk

TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S
Have you turned your car in already? Will they just cut you a check for the correct amount instead of whats on the offer letter? I also participated in the vwgoodwill package does that affect anything?

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
I keep coming up with different #" then the buy Back Calculator & what VW 's offering me.
Someone Double check me please: ( I failed algebra 2X)
SE region: 2014 JSW, MT , S model, no bells or whistles
60-65,000 mileage deduction

Paperwork say's $19,125 Vehicle return amount + $6,811

Last edited:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
So the total from the paperwork is just about $26k? What is your actual mileage now? I suspect you aren't doing the mileage adjustment right.

ottomatic

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golfwagen SE 6MT
62,370 mi

Wasn't planning on buy back this soon , but found an Alltrack MT

Last edited:

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
OK, there's your problem. The mileage brackets on the charts are for the adjusted mileage back to Sept. 2015. To figure that, subtract (number of months since Sept. 2015 * 1042) from current mileage. Since it's been 16 months since then, subtract (16 * 1042) or 16,672. So, your adjusted mileage will be 62,370 - 16,672, or 45,698. You're in the 45k-50k bracket. If you leave it until next month without driving it, you'll drop to the 40k-45k bracket.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Just got our offer letter from VW,and it shows that our 2011 JSW with DSG,Nav,and pano sunroof with currently 73,+++miles is worth $14,475 + 5,881 restitution total is $20,356.
Using the calculator it shows value as $19,127 + $1230 for options and +$450 for mileage total $20,807. If I add the $5,881 restitution value total would be $26,688. Does the calculator in this thread take into account the restitution amount? Because between the VW offer and the calculator I see a difference of $6,000. Most of that difference looks to be at car value from VW and the calculator on here. Thanks

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
No, the calculator includes the restitution amount. You don't add it separately. The remainder of the difference is going to be down to the offer letter's assumption regarding your mileage, which will be sorted out when you turn in the car.

dunerking

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta TDI
Thanks Dan,so that being said then the two are pretty close. With VW offer with restitution is $20,3++,and the calculator(which calculates restitution into the amount)with restitution is $20,8++. A difference of $500 is very close between the two.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
...and, again, that difference is almost certainly due to an (unstated) mileage assumption in the offer letter. Your actual payment will be determined by your actual mileage and the actual date you turn in the car--if that results in a higher amount due you than the offer states, you'll get that higher amount.

Mr. Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
None
...and, again, that difference is almost certainly due to an (unstated) mileage assumption in the offer letter.
It definitely would have been helpful to have the adjustment listed separately in the letter (I ended up reverse engineering it to make sure the formula in my spreadsheet was right), but I guess they did it to avoid confusion and more calls to call center reps who wouldn't be able to explain it adequately.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I agree. The letter should have follwed the same layout as their own calculator.

jesus_man

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta (gone), 2002 Passat (gone), 2009 JSW (VW bought), 2010 JSW
Perhaps it's been asked already, but not in the dozen or so pages I read...

Is there any option for those of us who bought the car after Sept. 2015?

coolbreeze

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG - 2016 Tig SE for the wifey
Perhaps it's been asked already, but not in the dozen or so pages I read...

Is there any option for those of us who bought the car after Sept. 2015?
All of my 3 TDI's where purchased after 9/2015. In fact 2 of them after 6/28/16 court settlement.

You certainly need to submit your claim through the VW portal.

https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/