How to disable / disconnect DRL - with pictures

Panhead

TDI
jetta, 2006, green
Guess I should have mentioned pulling out of mall parking lot in evening and not noticing my full light package was off cause I had direct ahead illumination. ANyway, looking forward to some info on how to make my lights "normal."

Panhead

TDI
jetta, 2006, green
Guess I should have mentioned pulling out of mall parking lot in evening and not noticing my full light package was off cause I had direct ahead illumination. ANyway, looking forward to some info on how to make my lights "normal."

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Panhead, the lights on your car are comptuer controlled. You need a vag-com to disable them. Or, you can just turn the brightness down (yes, you can set that in software too!)

-J

Panhead

TDI
jetta, 2006, green
compu 85

Thanks for the reply. Just like I want to get rid of DRL, I also cannot lock my car without the horn going off. Fixing this also has to be done in the computer I guess. On both these points my dealer has flatly refused to help. I took the horn issue to VW NA and they rejected my "non problem." SO i guess i must find someone in the Norfolk VA area that can help.

TVguy

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG, package 1, CWP
Panhead, I feel your pain. I just got my Vag Com Hex+Can so I can get back in control of these same frustrating "features". Sorry I'm 1,700 miles away or I would offer to help.

tbatdi

TDI
1997 Passat TDI
paramedick said:
Look on the firewall in front of the driver. See the little plug with yellow wire on each end? Disconnect and you're done.

Before you A3 guys ask, look in the area of the fusebox under the dash. You will see the same plug/yellow wires.

What about on a 1997 Passat TDI?

rshelton

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 Jetta TDI DSG, '09 Mercedes ML320 Bluetec
So if I purchase the Euroswitch and put it on my american 02 Jetta, would that give me the rear fog lights or is that a whole seperate lighting system? Also, would that let me just have my parking lights on? And finally, how hard would it be to wire fog lights in to this switch as I dont currently have any on my vehicle.

Thanks, I really like the sound of this euroswitch.

Coast2Coast

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 5-speed
anyone in NY with a Vag-can that will help me turn off my DRl; and the honk, i come home late and want to lock my car and it wakes up whole family up... really sweet, espeically the three dogs that go nuts at 2 am...

dragnfyr

TDI
2001 VW Beetle 130,000 miles
2001 beetle driving lights

Hello folks
I tried the fix described here of bending down the pin (found a beetle in a local wrecking yard and grabbed the switch) but it doesnt seem to have had any effect. I am wondering if I did something wrong or is my system controlled by the computer?
As far as the horn sounding when you lock the car, open the passenger door and use the switch there. That locks the car and sets the alarm, without beeping the horn.
Now for a noob question... How do I tell if my car is an A3/A4 ect?

Charm

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS leather sunroof
I dont know if it will, but lucky for you in your car you can do it via VagCom.
http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/cars/Golf5.html#tweaks

Removing DRL's
[Select]
[09 - Cent. Elect.]
[Long Coding - 07]
[Long Coding Helper]

Click on each of the Byte numbers in step 3) and you'll see the selectable options below.
Uncheck the box for "Daytime driving lights (North America)"
[Transfer Coding]
[Do It!]
Logismoi said:
will the TFL "cover-up" work with the MARK 5 (06-07) models ?

Thanks!

Charm

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 GLS leather sunroof
so does this "bending the pin" mod work on the MKIV euro switch?

also, I beleive in Maryland if your wipers are on your headlights must be on.

If a cop pulled you over I think he would still right you a ticket if you just had DRL on.

Easy-Dubs-It

TDI
05 Golf GLS
Does anyone know how you can stop the door chime?...

in the mk3 it was a simple relay... is it the same in the MK4 golf?

~greg

scott_the_sock

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Silver Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
I just disabled my DRL in the parking lot at work. Real simple. I've put two sets of low beams in the car already. I'll just turn on the low beams when it's bad out.

I used kapton tape as it's thinner than electrical and still a good insulator. Trimmed it with the scissors on my swiss army knife, and it's done.

bl3wbyu

TDI
none
I like the idea of shrink-wrapping the TFL pin. Is the shrink-wrap really easy to get off? How would you get it off if you wanted your DRL's back?

Jackilus

TDI
His: 03 Candyweiss 2dr Golf, Hers: 2K Black Jetta
Why not just pull the wire out from the back of the plug?

Fully reversible.

Last edited:

lowboy

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf; 2002 Jetta; 1998 Dodge Cummins 2500
I'm with you Jackilus. Been wondering about that for some time. It should be easy depending on what you've got to do to disengage the terminal from the housing.

Jackilus said:
Why not just pull the wire out from the back of the plug?

Fully reversible.

stilill

TDI
Golf,2005,Black,GLS
thanks burningmoney97, i was going thru headlights every 3 months til i killed the daytime ones, though my car is basically my office, now i can burn money the way you are supposed to, at the craps tables in Atlantic City, haha

unitacx

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 golf
had them disconnected but now installing a switch.

Chemboy said:
TAKE THIS DRIVER'S LICENSE AWAY!!!!!! Safety is not an option, it's a requirement!
Actually DRLs are not a requirement in most places, including most places with strict safety laws. But there's no real reason to decide...

I'm looking at this thread as an easy way to find the correct wire. As ray007 posted 2 yrs ago, it's a matter of just splicing a switch. The hardest part is finding a pretty black switch with an LED, since I'm too &%$#@ CHEAP to buy a VAG panel switch. I had my DRLs disconnected (the tape is easy) for the past 10 months for pretty much the same silly reasons stated in this thread. But I'd rather have a choice, depending on where I'm driving, etc.
The advantage of the VAG DRLs is that they are supposedly part power. (Typically about 80% for low beams; high beam systems use 60% IIRC)
So now the DRLs will be an excuse to put another switch on my panel. And I can still turn them off because they're stupid, and turn them on when I don't want people walking in front of the car and getting blood all over it right after I washed it or something.

Addendum I'm glad I did it (cr*pped up my panel with a little rocker switch). The switch is well-worth the effort if you're looking at the DRL setup. The modes are:
  1. DRL - light switch to "off", engine on, parking brake off - lights at 80%
  2. DRL off, with lights off - That's what the extra switch does.
  3. city lights - includes side lights, etc. (turns off DRL)
  4. fogs - includes side lights, etc. (city lights turn off DRL)
  5. headlights - includes side lights, etc. - lights at 100%

Of note, consider that in Europe, people are adding DRLs to their existing setup as an aftermarket thing. Go figure...

SECOND Addendum - Anyone looking to disconnect or change their DRLs should consider this option. The car comes with a DRL setup. The switch gives you the best of both worlds.

THIRD Addendum - On my '00, the DRL wire was yellow, with a green stripe and red bands. In shorthand, a y-g,r wire.

- s

Last edited:

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Anyone knows how to disable the DRLs on a '06 model Jetta ? It doesn't have the beefy plug with the labelled pins on the back of the switch. ( It comes with a rather diminutive 6-pin plug that doesn't allow you to cover any of the pins.)

matt.m

TDI
2003 NB
i like the idea of the euroswitch. i like the options and am considering getting one. however, i'm not quite understanding the danger of the drls, or how the drls can "fake you out" making you feel "safe". by the time you really need your rear lights on so cars following can see you, you're driving with an unlit dash in a dark car. why would i continue to drive with my dash blacked out? safe?? for me, i like to see my instruments in the dark. even semi-dark. just me.
mm

subspd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta
10then34 go back a couple posts it explains on our cars you have to change the computer there is no simple way to turn them off... urgh.

Anyone have VAG-COM in ATL that would turn mine off?

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
subspd said:
10then34 go back a couple posts it explains on our cars you have to change the computer there is no simple way to turn them off... urgh.

Anyone have VAG-COM in ATL that would turn mine off?
So I guess I'll have to spring $350 to get rid of the DRLs, that annoying 'honk' when I lock the doors and the 'anti car-jack locks'.

Savantster

TDI
none, yet
And no discussion of the over 100 million gallons of fuel wasted every year because people can't be bothered to pay better attention while behind the wheel?

Let's face it, 10% reduction in fatalities is peanuts if we'd only make sure we only let COMPETENT drivers behind the wheel. The DRLs only marginally help during low-light situations for most drivers who are paying attention. That's mostly when someone is driving out from behind the sun. i.e., if they KNEW the sun was behind them and paying attention, they'd have their lights on to begin with.

Another decent solution would be to have the computer know what time it is and what time current sunset/sunrise are, and put the lights on during that hour of questionable lighting. Also, my 2001 Blazer goes from DRLs to "full lighting" with a sensor in the dash, why can't my 2004 VW (engineerd to much higher standards) do the same? I have a SIMPLE override in my Blazer (push a button 4 times) for when I roll up on military bases, but -nothing- short of ruining my pins in my VW?

Talk all you like about how some poor innocent sap is saved because morons are circumvented with lights, it won't change the fact that those morons shouldn't be behind the wheel, and we have -other- solutions than leaving the lights on 24/7 burning up millions of gallons of fuel a year, 90% of the time without any valid need.

That said, with the efficiency of the diesel, I don't think I'm gonna worry about the 1 or 2 mpg I lose with the lights on.. it just pisses me off that it can be too dark to see the dash and the -normal- night time lighting isn't on, I have to flip the switch for that.. Where's my sensor?? :D

Last edited: