How much gas in tank at buy back time?

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
A quarter tank of diesel, three quarters tank of gas. Topped it off at the service station right next to the dealer, I'm sure VW will appreciate that. That's just the kind of guy I am, pay it forward.

You ass !!!

I hope that if you actually did that - that VW comes after you for repairs. Better- deduct it from your buyback funds !!!

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
Gotcha! Just a joke.

That is NOT a "funny joke" ... I'd put the actual commision of that as akin to "deliberate damage " (see stripping cars) for the purposes of the buyback. And without "smilies" , etc. how were we to know ?

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI 6-speed manual; 2006 mkV Jetta TDI / 5-speed / Pkg 2
That is NOT a "funny joke" ... I'd put the actual commision of that as akin to "deliberate damage " (see stripping cars) for the purposes of the buyback. And without "smilies" , etc. how were we to know ?
Oh, I presumed he meant "gas" as in "air."

Man oh man, I ended up with about a gallon of gasoline mixed in my previous Jetta, and it was a friggin mess. I was able to cycle it all out of the system after approximately two fill ups, but it was crazy. It ran ok, but after shutting off the engine, I was committed to the car sitting for a couple of hours before it would start again. Being a manual, I couldn't afford a stall, because I'd be stuck waiting awhile. The car ran fine after that, no problems presented themselves probably due to the low ratio of gasoline to diesel, and it's with a friend now approaching 200,000 miles.

edge130

Veteran Member
TDI
Wife's 2009 Jetta TDI sedan (2009 - 2017)
When I drove it into the dealer, the low fuel warning light was on.
Showed 20 miles to empty

Last edited:

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
We had 4 buybacks on the same day. To give you an idea of how much fuel was left in the tank of each of the cars, we had a 2 gallon can of diesel that we transferred from trunk to trunk of each as it was returned, because we were afraid of running out on the way over to the dealership (about 3 miles from our storage lot).

Every car was returned with the fuel light on 0 mi of range showing.

Yes, we were those people.

Last edited:

jhawklver

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
We had 4 buybacks on the same day. To give you an idea of how much fuel was left in the tank of each of the cars, we had a 2 gallon can of diesel that we transferred from trunk to trunk of each as it was returned, because we were afraid of running out on the way over to the dealership (about 3 miles from our storage lot).

Every car was returned with the fuel light on 0 mi of range showing.

Yes, we were those people.
If it can work out, why not? I put new tires on mine and the bulk of the life of them will be someone else's if the cars are fixed/sold or wasted if not. I have a bit more than a week to go. My car is about 60 miles from my house (at my sis's, getting it tomorrow). My warning light just went on, so I'll likely have to fill a bit but I'm certainly not going to fill it more than what will guarantee me getting to the dealer (which is less than 2 miles from my house).

I'm doing nothing to damage my car, not stripping, etc... but I'm not wasting money on excess gas or washing the car...

TDILeo

Veteran Member
TDI
CW 2011 Golf TDI 6M Repurchased By VW 1/30/17 1985 VW GTI
No gas, but less than one eighth of a tank of diesel IIRC. :) I wonder, where is she tonight?

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Why would amount of fuel affect your buyback in any way? Are people going to ask if having 20 PSI tire pressure will affect the buyback...

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
As one post has alluded, I find this thread fascinating, if only to observe how much time and rationalization some people will devote to something trivial....

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
Why would amount of fuel affect your buyback in any way? Are people going to ask if having 20 PSI tire pressure will affect the buyback...
Then you may want to check my poll that's about to fall of the bottom of the first page of this sub-forum. :D

S2000_guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
This is fascinating reading. Especially that someone whose car (each of 4) was so low on fuel that they carried a two-gallon can of diesel in case it ran dry. Personally, I'd have spent the 60-75 cents to put 1/2 gallon in the tank to ensure that I didn't have to bleed injectors, etc. (if it ran dry) on the side of the street to get to the appointment. But apparently I'm a spendthrift.

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
TDi cars have a certain appeal to the morbidly thrifty.

Drnknmnky13

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 5spd, 2014 Passat DSG
TDi cars have a certain appeal to the morbidly thrifty.
Agreed. There is definitely a different mindset on this page versus any of the other car pages I'm on.

As to the original question. I turned it in with 30 miles left on the meter, and 200 on the def (although I think that was an error, as I never got the 1500 mile warning)

Honestly, someone is going to get a nice car. If they rip out the emissions system that was giving me intermittent CELs.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
My wife was worried that she would run out of fuel on the way to the turn in. I think we left the house with DTE at about 20 miles and it's a 25 mile drive to the dealer. Made it there with no problem. Not sure what the computer said when she parked it.

Fourplay

, TDI Parts Ninja Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2014 A8L
This is fascinating reading. Especially that someone whose car (each of 4) was so low on fuel that they carried a two-gallon can of diesel in case it ran dry. Personally, I'd have spent the 60-75 cents to put 1/2 gallon in the tank to ensure that I didn't have to bleed injectors, etc. (if it ran dry) on the side of the street to get to the appointment. But apparently I'm a spendthrift.
It wasn't out of thriftiness (perhaps pettiness though), just ended up happening that way.

We bought these cars from dealers with a full tank and drove them until they were almost out of fuel, then parked them for 3 months until the buyback date.

No sense in putting fuel in cars that were being returned, so just took the red fuel jug from the lawnmower and filled it with diesel, just in case. Ended up just dumping it in one of our 3.0Ls since we didn't use it.

Funny you mention that. One of the cars had a screw in the tire and custom wheel locks, but no key. I wanted to patch it or throw the spare on, but no tire shop could get the wheel off, so I just filled it to 40 psi and drove it in that way. Held mostly okay (was at about 30 psi once we dropped it off). That car was a piece of junk (every single warning light on the dash was illuminated and it only started every third time), but was my highest return - over 300%.

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I have seen people say they will give a final wash before buyback. One of the dumbest things I've ever read.
My wife kept wanting to take the car to the car wash to optimize the buyback value. On Thursday night I finally got through to her. I asked her if it ran and she said yes. I said then we have optimized the buyback value. I thought she would be a little more upset about turning in HER car but so far, nothing.

bushido

TDI
2011 MKVI Jetta TDI
^ lol... my buyback ambassador didn't even start the car. didn't see me drive in either... and I hadn't washed the car since September 2015. Gas light was on when I dropped it off, check engine light too, and tire air pressure light, and burnt out lightbulb light too... good riddance

Last edited:

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Just dropped mine off yesterday. Pulled off the freeway with about 7 miles to drive on surface streets with the trip computer telling me I had 5 miles left to go on the tank of diesel. It had been reading 1/16 of a tank on the freeway for at least 20 miles. I didn't want to get stranded 2 miles from the dealership so I stopped and put an extra gallon of diesel in her before giving it back. So it probably had about a gallon and a half in it at turn in.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not suggesting any spiteful or harmful actions, but a whole entire gallon is very, very gregarious in a TDI. :)

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Funny thing is I never ran it that low before. I had no idea if I was really sitting on an extra gallon of fuel or a tenth of a gallon! It did seem to sputter a little bit on the freeway offramp right before gas station, but that might have been my imagination. Anyone ever run their fuel gauge to where the indicator was showing completely empty? If so, how far could you drive?

And you're right. A gallon of diesel should be plenty to get that car up and down a dozen car carriers. ;)

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
I think I once got mine to show 5 miles left. Swore, never again.

If the car is to be crushed, they must drain the tank first. So, if you want to "get even with VW", return it with a full tank.

PacCoastFwy923

Veteran Member
TDI
Funny thing is I never ran it that low before. ... Anyone ever run their fuel gauge to where the indicator was showing completely empty? If so, how far could you drive?
Not the TDIs, but funny think my Flex was sitting out front with "0 miles to empty" on the display. I've run it close to 10 miles past zero many years ago just doing some "fact finding" in relation to a thread topic on the Flex forum. I haven't made it a habit, but it's a comfort knowing what "zero" really means as far as what's in reserve.

Need to go back now at watch that episode of Seinfeld.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Funny thing is I never ran it that low before. I had no idea if I was really sitting on an extra gallon of fuel or a tenth of a gallon! It did seem to sputter a little bit on the freeway offramp right before gas station, but that might have been my imagination. Anyone ever run their fuel gauge to where the indicator was showing completely empty? If so, how far could you drive?

And you're right. A gallon of diesel should be plenty to get that car up and down a dozen car carriers. ;)
I've run it a good ten to fifteen miles after the computer gave me 0 DTE. That was usually on the wife's car when she got home and said, "Oh, I'm out of fuel but I'm not going back out. Can you take care of it for me?"