2010 vw golf tdi
I have a Golf TDI MK VI 2010

Rear brakes and rotors replaced at 19,700 miles... With Ceramic Pads

Front brakes replaced at 37,550 miles... With Semi Metallic Pads

Maffken

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 A4 Jetta ALH
I have a little over 146k on original brakes with no problems.
Hopefully with some fluid changes in the mean time ?

I got about 40,000'ish on the last pads; still ok and stock rotors. Recently changed them however to fix an abs sensor issue; however the lack of fluid changes that it's had (maybe one, or two in it's life) has trashed the rear two calipers and the front two are sketchy :|

Probably going to end up competently redoing it all at 190k now.

Fluid changes are important! Do them frequently and your calipers will like you!

steelriver

TDI
2010 vw golf tdi
WoW! Some really great brake and rotor milage from everyone! We live in a hilly area, I try to be careful with my brakes, downshift a lot on my 6 speed manual so as to do less breaking.

Those that get high mileage on brakes and rotors... Did you do anything special to get to that number?

Last edited:

Georgia_Boy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
2 fluid changes and a whole lot of downshifting. Pads still have a lot of life left in 'em. My mechanic is even wondering how the heck I have managed it.

rob c

TDI
2011 sportwagen dsg
115,000 and time..

Scheduling front and rear now. Some have gotten more but I am thrilled at 115k miles.
about 70% highway miles and 30% local urban/suburban.

RRLAG

TDI
2003 Platinum Grey Jetta RC3 132k, 2006 Silver V10 Touareg 95k, 1982 Rabbit LS 1.6 NA 254k (sold)
I just rolled 100000 since I bought my Mk4. Not sure how long the original owner had them.

n8tgc

TDI
2013 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG
FWIW, found out the hard way about leaving car parked with E-Brake on for a week. Rear rotors grew typical surface rust but left permanent bumps where pads were. Result? New rear rotors and pads @ 14k miles.

VW covered most of the cost, thankfully!

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
How do you measure the percentage of your remaining brake pads?
The pads are not a single piece, the space between the pads show how much of the pads have been used up. I don't know what the thickness in inches or millimeters is when new so without that number measuring your pads now won't answer your question. If you saw the pads new you would know approximately wow much was left just by looking at them. They can be seen through the wheels.

Stop by a VW dealer and look at a new car you could guesstimate your pad percentage by comparing the two.

Does anyone know if the pads and rotors are different from the MK4 to the MK6 model? I got 235,000 and 300,000mi on my 03 Golf. The cars are very similar in weight so if the breaking system is the same the pad/rotor wear shouldn't very much. I have read the same discrepancy of pad ware on the MK4 cars that I am reading on the MK6 models with the exception of less high miles on the newer car models. I suspect VW made a change on the breaks.

Last edited:

dwfdiesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Golf & 2012 Golf wagon, 1998 GMC 6.5 with 310,000km
276,000 kms and have never changed since new on my 2006 golf unbeliveable at 180,000 kms asked VW to replace them and they said I still has 1/4 inch of pad left so just drive it till they are worn out and supposedly the back ones go first.
325,000 kms now and still going on original brakes

Last edited:

steelriver

TDI
2010 vw golf tdi
The pads are not a single piece, the space between the pads show how much of the pads have been used up. I don't know what the thickness in inches or millimeters is when new so without that number measuring your pads now won't answer your question. If you saw the pads new you would know approximately wow much was left just by looking at them. They can be seen through the wheels.

Stop by a VW dealer and look at a new car you could guesstimate your pad percentage by comparing the two.

Good idea... Thanks

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
276,000 kms and have never changed since new on my 2006 golf unbeliveable at 180,000 kms asked VW to replace them and they said I still has 1/4 inch of pad left so just drive it till they are worn out and supposedly the back ones go first.
Yes the rears usually go first but only if the operator is light on the breaks. Those clever engineers at VW realized that the fronts on cars go out before the back so they set up the system so that under light breaking the fronts would be isolated until the reduction in momentum was more urgent.

I remember the first few times I drove my 03 Golf I wondered what the hell was wrong with the breaks. There was an unsettling feeling when the fronts kicked in. After getting use to it I don't detect any transition of breaking bias.

Last edited:

steelriver

TDI
2010 vw golf tdi
roadlust... My mechanic put ceramic pads on the rear and semi metallic on the front. What type of pad will you get the most mileage from?

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
roadlust... My mechanic put ceramic pads on the rear and semi metallic on the front. What type of pad will you get the most mileage from?
Don't have an answer. Personally I would look to replace with the same pad if I got high mileage out of the originals.

Someone should know which of your pads are the most durable and chime in.

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
107,000 miles on my 2010 Golf TDI and no brakes yet! I did need new windshield washer fluid the other day. :D

TMartin

TDI
2010 sportwagen, 2014 sportwagen
Replaced rear pads @ 220,000 miles. Rotors were ok. I'm still running the original front pads @ 235,000 miles. I guestimate about another 20,000 miles before I replace them.

RomanL

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 GOLF TDI
im at 124,5xx miles and am still on originals.
at 120K service my mechanic said im just at about half point on rears and little more than half in the front.

I will replace Rotors and Pads when its due. I might do it a little early not to have that washed out braking feel when pads get low.
so maybe around 180-200K?

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Still on my original brakes at 162,000 miles. I think maybe ~20% left.

In other news, I broke a rear spring, dropping a bottom 1/2-coil in the road last week. And after having a split CV boot replaced last Oct., that same CV joint is going. I'll ask how my brakes are looking when my independent garage does those repairs this week. Having them replace my manual trans fluid as well for the fun of it. At 162k, I guess it's time to start putting a little money in the car.

Previous work: Intake manifold replacement due to P2015 code (before I knew about the Dieselgeek fix), exhaust flap under extended warranty, replaced A/C condenser due to leak. That's it beyond oil changes, fuel/air/cabin air filter changes, and tires. DPF ash loading at about 130ml if I remember correctly. Expect it to hit the limit of 175ml at 200k or later.

turtleboy

TDI
2013 Golf 4 door
I figure since I do about 90% highway driving my pads will hast many miles. Now if I take it to the track every weekend thats another story. ;-)