How is the skiing in New Hampshire?

khenry3

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I am going to be making a road trip from Baltimore, MD to North Conway, NH late Febuarary to do some skiing. First real long road trip in the TDI. I'll probably hit up a Wild Cat and Attitash near the white mountains and I would also like to go Sunday River in Maine. My cousin told me the skiing in december was terrible but the weather has been colder recently.

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
k, I'd check to see what percentage of runs are active at the places you plan to visit. It's been one of the worst seasons in recent history.

TDI4US

TDI
2003 Jetta, 110K
Was skiing last weekend at Killington in VT. They had the majority of the mountain open. I would say that 65% of the trails were in decent shape, the rest had thin cover. They were blowing snow like crazy. As long as winter stays put and we don't see the 60 degree rainy days you should find plenty of good snow to ski on. If nature doesn't provide it they are making it.

brian_e

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Silver Jetta
Looking good in NH this week! Cold temps have led to lot's of snowmaking. Don't forget Bretton Woods either...

Haiku TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I have just returned home from snowboarding. As I am out there three days a week, I been on some really sketchy trails. However, this week was the best that we have seen thus far. Pats in Henniker, NH is now 100% open and they continue to blow snow daily. The base is fairly icy in spots, but overall should the temps stay cold, you should been in good shape.

Before you venture up this way ask about conditions again. Additionally, go have your skis tuned well and make sure that those edges are sharp, really sharp.

NH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta GLS Wagon
Go to Maine, Sunday River or Sugarloaf, much more snow there and conditions are better, next week is supposed to be the coldest we have had this year so sure to be icy..............we also set the record for the least amount of snowfall from Oct. 1 to Jan 31.

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
well today, it was supposed to be a bit chilly. The boys and I bailed out when we heard temps in the single digits and 20mpg winds forecasted. We're just not that hardcore...

mikeyF

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 silver Golf
I have friends that live down the street from sunday river, and the say it's been fantastic up there. Myself, I just got back from skiing Stratton in VT, and it was great up there too. I'm heading to Bretton Woods this weekend coming up so I can keep you posted as to what the conditions are for that mountain.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Just got back from Killington myself.... the weather was nice and cold--- plenty of snowmaking.

Hopefully your starting related systems are in good shape, ie... glow plugs as an example-- because it's a lot colder up there than down there

Last edited:

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M gone back to VWoA, 1996 Passat Wagon (RIP)
Yeah, the boards are still gathering dust in the basement but I'm thinking a mid-week getaway is a possibility for Thurs or Fri if the temps rise and the winds abate a bit :D

Haiku TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
There is no amount of skiing or snowboarding that you can do at this point that will sufficiently warm you up before you must sit, exposed, on the chair lift. We will be lucky if it gets above zero tonight.

mainer

Veteran Member
TDI
06 jetta | 10 JSW
I've been at cranmore ever weekday since the first of the year. Skiing has been great. Its been below 30 for the last month so snow making has been on full strenght. Only problem is the wind. Other than that skiing has been really good.

Haiku TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Edges have been sharpened, new stomp pad has been placed on the board, board is in the back of the car and ready to go for all of the snow tomorrow. I am looking forward to the powder that this storm is going to bring us.

NRU73

Veteran Member
TDI
02 GOLF TDI Silver, 5 Speed
Yup same here.

The car is loaded and i'm headed to MT Snow in the A.M.
Have fun!

Nate

TDI4US

TDI
2003 Jetta, 110K
Sitting in the house at Killington VT waiting for the snow to begin. Always interesting to see how much snow we really get vs the snow report that the mountains report. Will give an update tomorrow after the snow hits.

airtimeturbo

Vendor
TDI
too many to list
Bring it on!

I skied Burke Mt. today. The conditions were superb with clear, blue sky, no wind. 12" - 20" predicted for Wednesday. Good timing for the NEK. Lot's of businesses, including our B&B, count on good snow...certainly in short supply until the last two weeks.

I work part time at Burke. It would be interesting to put together a TDI & ski meet with good discounts. Could be done.

Dale @Vermont TDI Imports
http://www.fruitlands.net

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
When I was a kid it was called Brrrrrrrrrke Mountain. Coldest mountain I have ever been to.

airtimeturbo

Vendor
TDI
too many to list
Not the same world

Well, not knowing what decade you remember (assuming 20th Century :D ) things are soooooooooo changed. I wish Brrrrrrrrrrrr Mt. I grew up skiing and racing there in the 60's and early 70's and fondly remember winters where they had to dig out under the chair on pole 12-14 since they were touching the 16+ feet of snow. Back then, -30 was common. Despite that our local forecaster is now stating that we may see up to 50 inches of snow out of this storm, those good old Brrrrrrrrr days have not been around for a decade+.

Interesting how folk from each region had a differing perception. Growing up in the NEK, I always thought of Cannon and Wildcat as the coldest skiing possible...certainly factoring in winds and exposures.

Currently we are getting high winds and about 4 to 5 inches / hour.

TDI4US

TDI
2003 Jetta, 110K
Skied at Killington today. Great Day... had 12 inches of fresh light snow in the morning and got fresh trackes for the first couple runs. By the end of the day another 12 inches of snow fell. Did I mention it was a Great Day...

NRU73

Veteran Member
TDI
02 GOLF TDI Silver, 5 Speed
NRU73 said:
Yup same here.

The car is loaded and i'm headed to MT Snow in the A.M.
Have fun!

Nate
I ended going up to Northampton on tuesday night to meet with my brother and went to the Toasted Owl for a couple of beers and then stayed in NoHo. The T.O. always a good time.:D

Wednesday the conditions at Snow were good. It kind of sleeted for part of the morning and then switched over to only snow later in the day.
It was a very dense powder, very fine.

It was nice that we could do a run and then by the time we got back to the top our previous tracks would be covered over by the snow. Fresh tracks each run.:cool:

A good way to keep warm while going down is by running in the glades. Slower speeds and alot of turning.

I was even back home in CT by 6:45pm. Gotta love snow tires.

Nate

Haiku TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
So much powder. So sexy.
The only problem happens to be that the wind chill up here is -17. Later on the winds are suppose to kick up to 40mph and I don't want to be in a chair lift then. Vomiting off the side of a chair lift might be seen as a little bit gauche.

nhdude

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6M gone back to VWoA, 1996 Passat Wagon (RIP)
Cannon

Cannon was awesome today :D No crowds, temps above 30 and only moderate wind. Mostly packed pow with a few crunchy spots. Only Profile had real thin cover, rocks, ice, etc. And, passed 3 TDis on the way home!