How I Installed An Aux In Jack On A Beetle

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I thought I would do a write up on this since I just now did it very easily and it seems to be worthwhile.

Credit:
Much thanks to trainspotted2 on www.newbeetle.org , referenced on a thread I started there, http://newbeetle.org/forums/showthread.php?t=20202 .

Background:
I have a 2005 non-monsoon sat capable cd player radio that I've had in my Beetle for a while now. I thought that the car model and year that it came from had an auxiliary-in jack on it but I couldn't find anywhere how to install it. The Roady 2 XM radio worked fine with the former cassette deck and adapter that had the form of a cassette, but with the new cd deck, I had to rely on FM and that was a little spotty when traveling. The final straw was when my XM Roady 2's display starting crapping out a couple of weeks ago and I found that the new "Sure Connect" system sold by XM required a hard wire exterior connection to the car's antenna (FCC-driven since the FM modulators previously used were transmitting XM to adjacent cars, supposedly). Another factor in making an aux-in work was that I wanted to keep my VW PhatBox, which is seen as a CD player by the head unit.

Disclaimer:
Although this worked for me, I am not responsible if it doesn't work for you or your burn anything up, kill yourself or others, etc, etc.

What I Did:

The adapter I used is made by PIE, with a PIE part number of BLAU/8-3.5M . This adapter is an equivalent of Blaupunkt part number 7 607 897 093.

I then removed the pins from the connector. The pins are the same as the connectors going into the back of the radio. I tried to use the paperclip method, but had no luck. I then used the utility knife method and did not cut any wires or tendons.

Here's a picture of the radio removal tool. I forgot where I got them. You need two. I believe I used the long and skinny piece. The notch faces "in".

Both tools are inserted into the radio. The click in and lock. Then they are pulled on and the radio comes out (as far as the wires let it, anyway).

The tools are unlocked for removal by pushing in these tabs (2):

On the top of the radio there is this schematic (below). If you look carefully you can see "AUX L", "AUX R", and "GND" references to the green connector on the back of the radio.

Here is a pic of the connector. The green connector did not have any wires going into it. That is what we will be doing next.

Here I am inserting the pins into the proper slots. "Red" for right, "white" for left, and "black" for ground. Be careful of the proper pin location and orientation:

I routed the wire with a coat hanger. I was not fussy on this car with 200k miles +. A wire with a male jack on it was fine for me.

Pushing the "CD" button on this radio cycles the unit from Satellite (no gots), CD Changer (PhatBox), and Aux.

Here you can see the aux jack plugged into the Roady 2. It works!

I hope this helps someone.

Last edited:

Richy_T

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
Could you not have put the gray conenctor in place of the green one in the three part one?

Does anyone know if the '00 tape/radio will cycle between CD and Aux if one of these is added?

Rich

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I don't think it would fit, esp. since they interlock. I'll admit though, I didn't actually look.

I don't think the '00 will. I think you might have to have a sat-capable radio, although I'm really not sure. When I push the cd button on the radio, it toggles from changer to single disk to aux (not sure of order though).

mtltdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf GLS, Indigo Blue
I'm pretty sure it would have fit in place of the green connector. :) It seems more fun/challenging this way though.

Richy_T

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
With my current Blaupunkt unit (Milano) in the Jetta, you have to go into the menu and enable the aux. So that may be required somehow on the NB unit. I'll have to poke around and see.

It's not terribly hard to get the pins out without having to hack away but until you actually get a pin out and see how it's held in, you're pretty much prodding around in the dark. A very small screwdriver is better than a paperclip also.

Rich

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I've done the paperclip thing when I put in ASR, but I couldn't get it to work with this, and I felt the connector was expendable.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
RichyT and MTLTDI are correct, that connector

is designed to replace the green connector. They do interlock, but come apart very easily.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Richy_T said:
It actually looks like it might be supposed to replace the blue connector.

Rich
It's hard to tell, I certainly wouldn't base it upon the color of the connector in the photo. They do make blaupunkt to 1/8-inch jack connectors specifically for the aux input.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
The PIE info on the blister pack says that when it is used (in its intended application on certain Blaupunkt radios) the CD changer will not be able to be used. The wiring diagram on the back of my VW radio has the Aux terminals labled, so I got to keep my VW Phatbox. :) In using it this past week, I have to say the Aux input is loads better than the built-in FM modulator. The Roady has a function to vary the output sound level, but I didn't have to change it. Others with VW input jack say that the level is too low on their iPods.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
On my car, I have a hand's free kit with the phone so I can't utilize the green connector which is already used.

But, I could do the same thing you did with my wife's car. Now if someone could only figure out how to get the XM recorded-stuff onto the phatbox cartride.

I have the Helix and use that now more than the phatbox since it's an XM receiver and MP3 player in one unit.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I was researching new XM units when I thought the Roady's display was dying (who woulda thought knocking on the table a few times would get it working right again :) )-that's when I came upon this SureConnect thing. I like to have the option to move the unit between cars. Who needs to rig up an exterior wire to an antenna? I use the home kit sat antenna on the dash when I occasionally take it on the road and the Roady's built in FM transmitter, which apparently is too powerful per the FCC.

Sounds like you're liking the Helix. True? I have a birthday gift coming. :)

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, Helix is very portable for me. I have mounts and antennaes in both vehicles.

Between the live XM broadcast and the 1GB of recorded XM music I have more than I need! I use the Helix in the cars, at work and on the train when I commute to DC.

Too bad the MFD's can't be reflashed to handle the XM interface.

mgbeda

TDI
02 Beetle
I just wanted to say Thank You to VelvetFoot for the great step by step instruction on adding an Aux In jack to an older beetle. I had gotten a 2005 (or near that) CD head unit and put it in my wife's 02 beetle. I followed VelvetFoot's guide step by step except instead of the blaupunkt wire I got some VW radio wiring connectors from the junkyard and made up my own wire to a 3.5mm female input jack I put into the dashboard, but otherwise same idea. Followed the wiring diagram and plugged in wires into the vacant green connector and it works perfectly. Thanks a lot! I never would have figured this out otherwise.