How effective are these power mods ?

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I have a 2000 VW Jetta TDI with alh engine.
WOndering how much percent or raw horsepower gain would each of the following modifications add to the car ?
1- VNT -17 turbo.
2- Euro Front mounted intercooler.
3- RC 3 / Euro Tuning
4- Full t304 turbo back techntonics race exhaust
5- DeiselGeek Racepipe and EGR delete.
6- Boostvalve
7- .205 bosch injectors.
What other mods can increase the horsepower ?

vwmikel

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'94 Golf Sport TDI
WOndering how much percent or raw horsepower gain would each of the following modifications add to the car ?
1- VNT -17 turbo.
3- RC 3 / Euro Tuning
4- Full t304 turbo back techntonics race exhaust
5- DeiselGeek Racepipe and EGR delete.
6- Boostvalve
7- .205 bosch injectors.
The injectors will be the limiting part of that equation. Probably no more than 110-120hp.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Your avatar says you have a 2012 Jetta TDI. Are you asking about that car? If so, none of the stuff you mention will work or provide benefit. If you have an older car that's not listed, then the list makes more sense.

Not sure what you mean by "raw" horsepower, as most here measure power at the wheels. The front mount intercooler won't give you any gains, especially at the level you're at. A bigger side mount and/or better piping is probably more than adequate. The "race" exhaust will help boost spikes but only give a small power increase. Racepipe and boost valve, zero. And I've owned a couple of Tectonics exhausts over the years: they had a 2.25" pipe coming out of the turbo, which I think is a limitation. A real 2.5" is better.

Assuming you have a manual transmission car, you could get 130 WHP with the setup you have and the right tune. Bigger injectors could get you in the 140-150 range. That's probably about it. But that's a big increase over stock.

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Your avatar says you have a 2012 Jetta TDI. Are you asking about that car? If so, none of the stuff you mention will work or provide benefit. If you have an older car that's not listed, then the list makes more sense.

Not sure what you mean by "raw" horsepower, as most here measure power at the wheels. The front mount intercooler won't give you any gains, especially at the level you're at. A bigger side mount and/or better piping is probably more than adequate. The "race" exhaust will help boost spikes but only give a small power increase. Racepipe and boost valve, zero. And I've owned a couple of Tectonics exhausts over the years: they had a 2.25" pipe coming out of the turbo, which I think is a limitation. A real 2.5" is better.

Assuming you have a manual transmission car, you could get 130 WHP with the setup you have and the right tune. Bigger injectors could get you in the 140-150 range. That's probably about it. But that's a big increase over stock.

Yes, this is a new ride I just got. 2000 Jetta TDi with mods. Wondering what the real world HP would be. So do you think adding a 11 mm fuel pump, and large injectors, coupled with a new tune, would increase hp ?

My 2012 jetta tdi is stock, and I am keeping it that way to keep warranty in force.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Right, sorry. Didn't connect the names right away. Does it have an FMIC now? I'm guessing it's making about 140. Jeff could take it to RC4 and it'll gain some, but fueling is a limitation. You could also put in PP502s and a lift pump and keep the 10mm pump. That would give you a bump in fueling and be less expensive than sourcing an 11mm pump.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
With a stock tune and stock nozzles, my 96 Passat put out about 75 hp. On the same dyno, with a tune running 19 lbs boost and Sprint 520 nozzles I was up to 112 hp. That is about 50% more horsepower for a cost of about $600. I have an 11 mm used pump in the garage that cost me $425, have a ported head on the shelf that cost me $1100. That, some Race 520 nozzles for $350, $150 to balance another set of spare injectors and a new, bigger turbo for at least another $1100 MIGHT get me another 50% horsepower gain to something like 170 hp.
The easy, cheap horspower is in the tune and the nozzle up grade. Everything else will just add a few more horsepower for a whole lot more money.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
1- VNT -17 turbo. zero w/o extra fueling, +30 hp with those nozzles and tuning.
3- RC 3 / Euro Tuning
4- Full t304 turbo back techntonics race exhaust zero at this power level
5- DeiselGeek Racepipe and EGR delete. zero at any power level
6- Boostvalve zero at any power level
7- .205 bosch injectors.
blue text

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I think what these folks are saying is your current approach is a bit out of balance. Your primary concerns should be air, fuel and tune. Given you are thinking about a VNT-17, with tune that supports about 22-24psi boost. Knowing that, your choice of nozzles should be able to support that much air. PP520's or PP764's come to mind. One thing you'd better add to the equation is an upgraded clutch. Stage 2 or greater will overrun your a stock clutch in time. It's pretty much a given if you want Stage 3. The other mods you are thinking about can always be added afterwards. Some are not necessary at all. With a few adjustments, you can go from 90 to around 150hp no problem. It becomes a whole different car at that point, a much more fun one.

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Right, sorry. Didn't connect the names right away. Does it have an FMIC now? I'm guessing it's making about 140. Jeff could take it to RC4 and it'll gain some, but fueling is a limitation. You could also put in PP502s and a lift pump and keep the 10mm pump. That would give you a bump in fueling and be less expensive than sourcing an 11mm pump.

Yep. This is the one.

Yes, it has the FMIC now.

It has a RC 3 tune.

Will consider new nozzles. The fuel pump was just serviced, so I would prefer to keep it.

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
With a stock tune and stock nozzles, my 96 Passat put out about 75 hp. On the same dyno, with a tune running 19 lbs boost and Sprint 520 nozzles I was up to 112 hp. That is about 50% more horsepower for a cost of about $600. I have an 11 mm used pump in the garage that cost me $425, have a ported head on the shelf that cost me $1100. That, some Race 520 nozzles for $350, $150 to balance another set of spare injectors and a new, bigger turbo for at least another $1100 MIGHT get me another 50% horsepower gain to something like 170 hp.
The easy, cheap horspower is in the tune and the nozzle up grade. Everything else will just add a few more horsepower for a whole lot more money.

I see. I will look at nozzles then.

It already has RC -3 tune.

Er......are your Race nozzles or 11mm pump for sale...;);):D

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I think what these folks are saying is your current approach is a bit out of balance. Your primary concerns should be air, fuel and tune. Given you are thinking about a VNT-17, with tune that supports about 22-24psi boost. Knowing that, your choice of nozzles should be able to support that much air. PP520's or PP764's come to mind. One thing you'd better add to the equation is an upgraded clutch. Stage 2 or greater will overrun your a stock clutch in time. It's pretty much a given if you want Stage 3. The other mods you are thinking about can always be added afterwards. Some are not necessary at all. With a few adjustments, you can go from 90 to around 150hp no problem. It becomes a whole different car at that point, a much more fun one.

I see. Nozzles first then.

Yes, it has the Sachs G60 clutch.

I will try to get them, and then get it dyno ed...

thx

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
PP520's or equivalent Nicktane nozzles, balanced.
VNT17 or 17 hybrid.
w/m injection (10% methanol by volume)
upgrade clutch
Level 3 tune
fuel pump

2.5" dp can't hurt but not absolutely necessary.

145-155 hp, reliable, with 50 mpg.

You don't need upgraded intercooler in Northern CA until the next level of tune.

highender

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
PP520's or equivalent Nicktane nozzles, balanced.
VNT17 or 17 hybrid.
w/m injection (10% methanol by volume)
upgrade clutch
Level 3 tune
fuel pump

2.5" dp can't hurt but not absolutely necessary.

145-155 hp, reliable, with 50 mpg.

You don't need upgraded intercooler in Northern CA until the next level of tune.

OK. What size openings are the PP520's ?

I know the stock nozzles are .184 . I have .205 nozzles.

Are those .216 ?

I have the VR6, G60 clutch upgrade to prevent the increased torque from ripping into it.

Would I need a 11 mm fuel pump ? Can tuning compensate for the smaller fuel pressure. ?

FrankTDI

TDI
Golf MK4
yes PP520are .216

be aware that 10/11mm means the Injectionpump, the guys pointing to an fuelpump mean a electrical fuelpump, like the PD have

Selle

TDI
2000 Golf AGR 4Motion
You do not need a 11mm fuel pump or lift pump along with a vnt 17 Something like .230~.240 and adjusted map would make a good match. If you don't have one, get a 3 bar map sensor, just remember that tune must be adjusted for 3 bar map sensor, so replace the nozzles and map sensor at the same time