How don't y'all get 50+ with ease it seems?

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Never really saw a fuel mileage bump without a.c. I say run it. It works so good why not. Plus driving with windows down is not fuel efficient anyways.
I actually was saying that if you run the A/C with the windows up and sunroof closed you'll get better fuel mileage then having the windows down and sun roof opened due to turbulence. As well, the noise incurred by driving highway with windows down is mind blowing.

I have an MK4 too, but the turbulence in the MK4 is less with front windows lowered 1/4 way and sun roof tilted backwards then my MK6. I rarely if ever use the A/C in the MK4 though it has been brought to my attention that on level 1 on A/C the timing is advanced and fuel mileage is better than not running the A/C. There was a post about it a few years ago explaining the Level 1 setting and advanced timing on the ALH motors. Maybe that has been dis-proven.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I'm dubious about the timing change with A/C on, sounds like an urban myth, like glow plugs coming on when you open the driver's door.

One reason I got the 2-door Golf was because my MKIV 2-door Golf was a pleasure to drive with the driver's window down. The new car gets some annoying buffeting above about 40 MPH. And I prefer the car closed up and A/C on anyway. Don't like sunroofs.

I'm headed to Fest tomorrow and am eager to drive the car as aggressively as I feel and see what it delivers for economy.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
I'm dubious about the timing change with A/C on, sounds like an urban myth, like glow plugs coming on when you open the driver's door.
Welp, chalk up another misnomer, LOL.:D

I knew the glow-plugs cycling on initial door pull was a wives tale on the MK4. I thought there could be some truth to the MK4 advanced ignition timing due to A/C parasitic draw, but whatever.

I believe the MK6 has an aerodynamic design which actually incorporates its efficiency with windows and roof closed, not opened to any extent. You really get the bombardment of turbulence having the roof opened above walking pace and if a window is down it just shutters the ear drums from mass-air compression. It's not an open window/open roof highway roller with any semblance of comfort incorporated into it.

My opinion of course.

All in all it's a great car, and a quiet one rolled up and tight.

Jbdesigns

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT, 2012 Jetta TDI 6mt (sold)
I hear what you guys are saying about ac not hurting you mpg too much. Maybe I have a heavy draw ac cause I easily lose 3 to 4 mpg using ac. Now when I drive without ac my windows are only cracked open. Passenger front and rear open about 1.5-2". That gets the best airflow with what I believe is least amount of aerodynamic penalty. I don't flip up sunroof as I think that likely disturbs airflow too much. When my ac is on, the car is gutless below 1900 rpm. I mean its like I'm pulling an anchor getting going. Last friday I had to run the ac as it was just too hot out. I also was running into a strong headwind. Mpg for my commute home was 44 when it's normally 52-54.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
I had to run the ac as it was just too hot out. I also was running into a strong headwind. Mpg for my commute home was 44 when it's normally 52-54.
It has be ridiculously hot in upper state. We had highs in the 90's for weeks and even these past few days we're looking at mid to upper 80's and touching 90's. Clifton Springs, NY we had terribly windy conditions last week, especially end of the week. I felt like I was on an African safari of sorts, dry and really warm with clear blue skies, sun up to sun down. This year has not been normal at all... and the past winter there was zero snow too.

tom simmonds

TDI
2011 golf/jetta TDi highline wagon
A lot of people feel that you have to be easy on the pedal when breaking in a motor.
Think about this for a minute.
When police officers get behind the wheel of a new Crown Vic or Chev Impala etc... do you think that they are easy on the pedal? NOPE!!
Balls to the wall, drive it like you stole it. Hard break in, good fuel mileage. Rings seat better.
When it comes to mileage, remember folks, the Canadians are getting better MPG because their gallon is bigger. A lot of Americans think I'm pulling their leg when I tell them this fact.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
It has be ridiculously hot in upper state. We had highs in the 90's for weeks and even these past few days we're looking at mid to upper 80's and touching 90's. Clifton Springs, NY we had terribly windy conditions last week, especially end of the week. I felt like I was on an African safari of sorts, dry and really warm with clear blue skies, sun up to sun down. This year has not been normal at all... and the past winter there was zero snow too.
Driving to TDIFest across upstate NY on Friday we had very strong headwinds, I'd guess 25-30 MPH. Ran the A/C the whole time, and also sat for nearly 2 hours in stopped traffic. Drove 80 when we could. Car was heavily loaded with orders for Fest attendees. Still got 41.5 MPG.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Just passed through Batavia on the way home from the Fest. Conditions today are better but lots of traffic. Filled up in PA and are seeing 48.8 so far on this tank, average speed 68.

astroboy

TDI
golf wagon tdi highline
I seem to get about 43/hwy with my '12 w/dsg. That's not nearly as great as you guys. There's about 6000km on it right now

bosa

TDI
Golf SW 2011 TDI comfortline
Just reach 50.5 on my trip from Qc to Virginia, night drive, A/C on, speed at 65-67 from GPS, and car fully loaded, 12000 miles on car so far.

BrianCT

Top Post Dawg
TDI
TDI
Just reach 50.5 on my trip from Qc to Virginia, night drive, A/C on, speed at 65-67 from GPS, and car fully loaded, 12000 miles on car so far.
Is your car set up in litres per 100 kilometres bosa? Are you calculating on Imperial Gallons or U.S. gallons?

bosa

TDI
Is your car set up in litres per 100 kilometres bosa? Are you calculating on Imperial Gallons or U.S. gallons?
my car is in l/100 but my fuel consumption is based on fueling data only (fueling up to almost overfill the tank) and not on car computer consumption. And it's in U.S. gallons... which gives me a 4.66 l/100 kms, computer was at 4.6.

eparker202

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Beetle Convertible 6MT TDI
I ran a very scientific and exacting test last night with the AC. Rolling in neutral down hill maintaining about 35 mph i saw 190 mpgs instantaneous. When i turned on the AC to full blast with recycle on, still at 35 mph and still in neutral, that dropped to 130 mpgs. Then i brought it down to setting 1 with no recycle and saw 140 mpgs. Anyways, i typically average 4 mpgs less on tanks that i have used to AC for a good amount of time.

Jbdesigns

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT, 2012 Jetta TDI 6mt (sold)
Thanks for that little comparison.
I had A/C on Friday due to rain fogging inside of window and I forgot it was on going up a hill. Wondered why the car felt gutless. Figured out later and switched it off as inside of car was dry now.

3-4 mpg drop easy for me if a/c is on. I've used the air less than 5% of my 21,000 miles.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Filled up this morning. First 700 mile tank in the Golf.

Got 47.9 on the tank, the MFI reading was for the 25 or so miles I drove before filling up. A/C on for the whole tank, by the way. Most of it was driving back from the Fest, average speed 71.

JKC_NC

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Passat TDI DSG | '15 Passat TDI SE Manual (sold 7/2018) | '10 Jetta Wagon TDI manual (sold 4/2015)
Mountain roadtrip with Phenomenal mileage.

I went on a hella Sunday drive today...left at ~5 am. I behaved like a pig Saturday. Sunday, @ 4 am, woke up with angry wife. She demanded I make myself scarce for the day, with assurance she would keep it up until I left. Knowing this woman meant business, I decided the best action was to bolt.

I left without plan. did not take phone, map, or GPS. Since I was in no hurry with main goal to be gone for the day, I drove slow with cruise set at speed limit. First leg, Raleigh-->Pilot Mt. (NC) to watch the sunrise. Stopped to fill up 50 miles in (13 gal + ~ 1 cup PowerStroke silver), and a second time for 6:30 am breakfast. Drove to Fancy Gap VA and got on the blue-ridge parkway (headed south). Display1 (whole trip) was showing ~48 mpg at Fancy Gap. Drove down the parkway (45 mph limit - impossible to maintain this speed) all the way to Ashville. I stopped at about 10 overlooks, hiked to crabtree falls (3 mi), and went to the summit of Mt. Mitchell. When I got off the parkway in Ashville, display was showing ~52 mpg with average speed of ~40. BTW...it was very cool day...AC was off and windows were opened ~1 inch for most of the trip. Heat was on for much of the Blue ridge leg.

In Ashville, I got on I-40 to head home...and set cruise @ limit (55, 60, 65, 70).

Got home at 6:30 pm...with display reading 54.9 mpg and a bit over 600 miles, average speed, 52 mph. For the part of the trip that was after the fill-up @ 50 miles, the display showed 55.6 mpg.

Driving style:
I did not "hypermile". but...I used extensive engine breaking on downhill segments. I kept car in gear closest to 2000 rpm for all powered driving...selecting gear leading to higher RPM rather than lower. On the parkway I used only 3rd and 4th gears for power (but used neutral and 2nd-5th for engine-breaking/coasting). When on cruise and going down hills (interstate) steep enough to cause the instant MPG display to show "200", I would coast in neutral (clutch press) to turn off cruise, and disengage the engine to avoid "resist the hill" engine breaking. I would "reinstate cruise/gear" on the upslope once car speed reached limit.

I was surprised that the mileage increased on the I-40 interstate run back to Raleigh...I expected that my high 50+ would drop on the "high speed return"...but it did not...rather it kept climbing.

My lifetime average for this car is ~42.5 mpg. The majority of the miles are an 11 miles commute through 9 stoplights in 20 minutes twice each day (8 hrs spaced) M-F. So...this is my first 600+ mile day for the car. But the numbers I got today were unexpected and amazing. I will, of course, hand calculate and add to fuelly, but, I have enough experience with my car to know that the display numbers will be close.

BTW...my car is bone stock 6MT JSW with 16 inch alloy "bioline" wheels fitted with OEM Hankooks inflated to 42 psi. Spare wheel swapped for an alloy match to the other wheels so I can have a 5 tire rotation...

Last edited:

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
I don't get close to 50, ever....but...I am having a freak of a tank right now (for me anyway). I decided to "try" on this tank and see what type of mileage I could get. I wouldn't say hypermiling, but doing the things that save fuel (which I rarely do). Engine breaking, keeping my speeds down, accelerating somewhat briskly and coasting...all that good stuff. I don't usually do anything to get good fuel mileage. I don't even have the MPG readouts selected on my MFD. I still have about a third of a tank to go, and right at 500 miles. Others get this kind of mileage I am sure, but I have yet to have a 600 mile tank. (A few times I could have but filled up out of convenience on long trips). I guess combined with trying to focus on MPG and the cooler temps, this could be my best tank yet.

elitegunslinger

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI :D
I don't get close to 50, ever....but...I am having a freak of a tank right now (for me anyway). I decided to "try" on this tank and see what type of mileage I could get. I wouldn't say hypermiling, but doing the things that save fuel (which I rarely do). Engine breaking, keeping my speeds down, accelerating somewhat briskly and coasting...all that good stuff. I don't usually do anything to get good fuel mileage. I don't even have the MPG readouts selected on my MFD. I still have about a third of a tank to go, and right at 500 miles. Others get this kind of mileage I am sure, but I have yet to have a 600 mile tank. (A few times I could have but filled up out of convenience on long trips). I guess combined with trying to focus on MPG and the cooler temps, this could be my best tank yet.
:cool:

You should be able to hit 600 easily by driving the speed limit with cruise control. Let's see the results!

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI

You should be able to hit 600 easily by driving the speed limit with cruise control. Let's see the results!
I am pretty sure I will get to 600 which will be good, but I'm thinking more :) I think my MFD is reading 210 till empty. I don't put much stock in that though. It seems to soar down pretty fast once it gets past the 1/2 mark.

bosa

TDI
Update back from a 2745 miles trip, mean 48.5 mpg, lowest 50.5 mpg (for 600 miles) and 53 mpg (for 595 miles) 80 % with air conditioning on and car fully loaded of camping stuff, highway at 65-70 (GPS values)... well I am happy :) (NB: fuel consumption based on real measures at pump, and not on MFI which said mean at 53 mpg)

Last edited:

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI

Well I ended up at 602. First tank over 600! I could have gotten to around 650 I think, but went ahead and filled. Still had 95MTE. Not to bad. Worked out to 44.3 mpg or something like that.

zenthuzed

TDI
2014 Q7 TDI
I have made the trip down to Miami with my Fiance twice from Raleigh NC, on one tank. This is an 800+ mile trip. The only mods on my car that could help with the MPG's are the Upsolute stage 1 tune and the lowered suspension. Our first try was back in December 2011 where the air was really cold and we had great weather the whole way down. We had the tires at about 48 psi and only made a few stops. We averaged about 65 mph and got 57.6 mpg. We showed up at our hotel right at 799 miles with about a gallon left in the tank.
The second attempt was Raleigh to Miami this past April. Oddly, we went faster and had much more weight in the car, but managed a higher mpg of 59.5. That trip also had numerous stops and we ran the AC part of the trip. We even had a few detours taking us to 814 miles with about 2 gallons left in the tank when filling up.
The better mpg's on the second trip baffle me.... I did not try nearly as hard.
Even my in town driving here averages in the high 40's and low 50's. I have a lead foot most of the time ;). Check out the links to the facebook albums my Fiance and I made for both trips.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10100155802093517.2428726.36617785&type=3

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10100325960240227.2452953.36617785&type=3

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
640 on my current tank, and about 85 MTE right now...

I think I have finally figured this thing out :)