How do I remove Fan Control Module ??

Spike Strip

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI Automatic !
Sorry for the newb question, but I searched. I'm stuck. :(

Other threads said in order to remove the FCM, you have to remove the battery box to access a couple of bolts... OK, easy enough...

Well, I removed mine and that's where a bunch of the harness is and I can't get the harness out of the way (the plastic hold-down they're snapped into, actually) ... Bolts are appox where the red square is ?? (in pic below)

Am I doing this right. Bentley says nothing on this. :confused:

btw, is there a trick to removing the FCM connector closest to the transmission ?
I've pushed, pulled, stuck a screwdriver in the slot... nothin'

'05 Golf BEW Auto.

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
The harness in the 2nd pic looks similiar to the MAF, and if so, you need to push in on the harness while pulling back on the lock. Same with the headlight harness or the coolant temp. sensor. In other words you might want to practice with the MAF since it is on top and easy to get to.

MarkIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS Silver/Black, 2006 New Beetle Pkg#2 DSG Red/Black
JB05 said:
The harness in the 2nd pic looks similiar to the MAF, and if so, you need to push in on the harness while pulling back on the lock. Same with the headlight harness or the coolant temp. sensor. In other words you might want to practice with the MAF since it is on top and easy to get to.
This happened in my '01 Golf tdi... I did the repair in early '02...long time ago. ;) The big plug, as you've shown, for my Fan Control Module had actually gotten hot enough to melt plastic and welded the plug permanently to the module. I had to get splice kits, new plug and new module to rebuild the entire plug to properly mate with the new module installation. It was a factory installation error wherein the large spade lugs in the plug were misaligned and only made side-contact with the other contacts in the module. What a PITA to fix this one. Another big PITA is that I do not trust local VW shop to repair such things, so I do them myself. Golf is great fun to drive, but requires a bit of enlightened maintenance to keep ahead of the breakdowns.

Spike Strip

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI Automatic !
The prob with getting to mine, someone (prolly the folks who the PO had install an electronic rust gizmo), broke a bunch of the plastic retainers and zip-tied everything down, from underneath. Once I discovered that, and cut the zips, moving the harness and the plastic guides wasn't too bad.

The 4-pin connector to the FCM was really really stuck, almost glued on, it seemed, but not melted, that I could tell.

Finally came off with a few choice loudly spoken God-forbidden words and and a good angry tug.

ranagon

TDI
'01 ALH Beetle; '02 alh wagon.1, '02 alh wagon.2, '03 ALH wagon; '04 BEW wagon, '05 BEW wagon.1, '05 BEW wagon.2
Answer to OP's question about an '05 BEW FCM

Pull the battery and battery box.

Pull the air cleaner and box.

Pull the cover over the harnesses.

Unbolt the battery box mounting plate and primary ground.

Wiggle the plastic harness mounting plate up off the anchor studs.

Twist the harness and plate around until you can get a 10 mm flex socket on the FCM bolts.

It's also a PITA to align and massage back together.

Other than that, it's pretty straightforward.

Nick.G.S

TDI
05 Auto Golf 1.9 TDI BEW
Answer to OP's question about an '05 BEW FCM

Pull the battery and battery box.

Pull the air cleaner and box.

Pull the cover over the harnesses.

Unbolt the battery box mounting plate and primary ground.

Wiggle the plastic harness mounting plate up off the anchor studs.

Twist the harness and plate around until you can get a 10 mm flex socket on the FCM bolts.

It's also a PITA to align and massage back together.

Other than that, it's pretty straightforward.
Life saver. Thanks man