How do i callibrate brake light switch?

ourkid

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Mk3
Still getting an implausible signal - brake pedal switch:(

the brake lights work fine,just a small amount of free play in the pedal before they come on.I've been reading up on the subject and it seems that because i have 2 switches they need to be callibrated to both contact at the same time?

First off,i'm a bit confused about the function of each switch,being a uk car it does not have cruise control so why 2 switches?.Which one commonly causes the flashing glow plug light problem?

So i pushed the pedal all the way down then extened each switch on the ratchet as far as it would go.I then slowly allowed the pedal to return which self positioned each switch .They both just touch.Should i leave a gap?

Now both switches start to extend simultaneously but because of the shape of the pedal,it always catches the top one first on the return.Is this ok?

What should i be looking at on vag com to check the function of each?:confused:

thanks

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
Group 6 in measuring blocks.
With the pedal not pressed it should be 000 in the middle block.
As you slowly press the brake pedal switch the last two blocks should change to 1 at the same time So now 011

Now as you release the pedal it should change back to 000 at the same time.

m1ketdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Leon BKD
Oh and it has the two switches so you can't brake and accelerate at the same time. Also the cruise control was a retrofit option that could have been made available at any time.