How can i get a 2004 or 2005 Jetta TDI

CLP540

I live in California and here in California they dont sell them. Does anybody out there have any others ideas on how i can get one. I want it to be a brand new Jetta TDI.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Take a look at the DMV website to see what can and cannot be registered.

From prior threads, it appears that the options are:
(1) purchasing one with 7500 miles, or
(2) having the car you are driving become inoperable while in a state where you can purchase one, (preferably right next to a VW dealer that has the car you want), get documentation that your original car was totally junked (perhaps you lost oil and continued driving? - ran into a brick wall? think of other options yourself). You should check the DMV website to confirm this - it has been reported here, but I've not checked it. You don't want to spend $20K+ on a car, then not be able to register it back home!

However, driving it back may or may not be the best way of breaking in the engine. You can search for threads on that.

VWBoraTDI90hp

Veteran Member
TDI
April 2001 Volkswagen BORA TDI, GLS, 90 hp, 5 speed, silver ext/black int, cold package
Hi all, I am a friend of Cris (CLP540) but because I live in CA I couldn’t help him, so I told him to sign on tdiclub and ask 4 yr help…

Hey Cris, just checking in…good luck!!!
Jordan

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
I want it to be a brand new Jetta TDI.
If "new" would fall into the 7500 mile category, then YES.

If not, NO.

Plan B: get a new, left-over 2003MY car.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Per Cal DMV

" As a California resident, you may register a new out-of-state vehicle certified to federal emission standards only if you:

. obtain it as part of an inheritance or divorce settlement
. purchase it to replace your California registered vehicle that was stolen while out-of-state; or
. purchase it to replace your California registered vehicle that was destroyed or became inoperative beyond reasonable repair while out-of-state.

When you apply to register the vehicle, you must show proof - such as a court order, police report or repair invoice - that you qualify for an exception"

So - it appears that one can purchase a $200 car that can take you from CA to your VW dealer in Oregon or whereever, have it break beyond reasonable repair, and purchase your new car. Perhaps you want to tow the car near the dealer if it's really on it's last legs....

CoffeeGeek

TDI
'04 Jetta TDI Sport Edition
I'm betting he could find a dealer or two in OR who would help him out, especially if he bought a $200 junker and paid the disposal fees.

Mark

tadc

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, '01, Black
If a California beater were driven to oregon and then vanalized(or perhaps stripped for parts? I'd bet if someone were to park their car in front of my house for a few days it might end up stripped
) significantly, it certainly would cost more to repair (repaint, new glass, whatever) than the car's value. It shouldn't be hard to get an estimate from a body shop indicating the car is a write-off.

I'm curious exactly how they define "destroyed or became inoperative beyond reasonable repair"... does cosmetic damage not qualify as "inoperative"?

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
isn't letting the oil drain plug accidentally fall out more legit? You could say you were testing out the SLICK50 claims

You don't want it to appear to be a case of insurance fraud, etc.. Many jurisdictions don't take kindly to that.

WTH, peoples' oil drain plugs fall out every day - - just ask the folks at JiffyLube

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You'd have a very good case if you take it to Jiffy Lub shortly before it fell out!

CLP540

Can you just buy a brand new one from Oregon, and than after it has the 7 thousand miles register it in california?

fredb

Veteran Member
TDI
2003/golf gl blue tdi auto
move out of that state.. (just kidding)
If you can stand having 7500 miles on your "new" car than thats the way to do it.
We have the same stooopid
law here in vermont.
I found a 2003 last march with 3500 mi on it.
I love the car. Just keep looking.. it'll come.

Danny Boy

Veteran Member
I have never understood California's energy politics. I'm much more inclined to be in the "you made your bed...now you have to sleep in it". Not too many states would elect an entertainment figure more than once to governor even Minnesota was able to learn that one. Enough CA bashing...

The salesman at the dealer I frequent commented how many educational/warning programs they've had that do not allow them to sell TDI's to CA residents PERIOD. He commented the risk for fines or problems at work, and compared it to selling beer to a teenager.

Doesn't look favorable to you at all. Change the law. Consider legislation like Minnesota which requires minimum Biodiesel content in all diesel sold. It is only 2% but what do you expect from someone like Jesse Ventura. Perhaps Arnold can double the process to 4! Good luck. You may find a used vehicle is a much better option.

Perhaps it's genetics...did your family drink during prohibition just because you were not supposed to?

tdibigd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE w/DSG, black on black
I'd suggest buying an almost-new used one. You can find one in showroom condition and avoid the hassle. The 7 or 8K mileage minimum represents very little in the life of the car. I think CA's regulation on this is silly, but you'll sleep better if you don't have to worry about getting caught.

tjl

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
I'd suggest buying an almost-new used one. You can find one in showroom condition and avoid the hassle. The 7 or 8K mileage minimum represents very little in the life of the car.
But just make sure that whoever changed the oil at 5,000 miles used the correct (VW 505.01 rated) oil.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Can you just buy a brand new one from Oregon, and than after it has the 7 thousand miles register it in california?
Short answer: yes. And no sales tax in Oregon.

My idea is, rent a box from MailBoxes Etc, and register the car in Oregon using that address. Go on a long road trip to the East Coast and back to California. Probably not a good idea to try to put on those 7500 miles inside California.

Or contact Harvieux. He has two 2004 TDIs for sale, each with 7500 miles. One Jetta wagon, one Golf. Both GLS models loaded with options, and both reasonably priced. (Reasonable in California, if you've seen what some dealers want for older models.)

dag

TDI
sold: Black 2003 Jetta Wagon GL
My idea is, rent a box from MailBoxes Etc, and register the car in Oregon using that address.
Have you ever noticed how many semi trucks have trailers registered in Maine?

Maine has favorable trailer registration prices and policies, and many companies have mail forwarding services provide Maine addresses for registration purposes.

I bet this would work for consumers and cars, too. Doesn't have to be Maine in particular -- that's just an example.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you go to the California DMV website, you will see that you cannot purchase the car with less than 7,500 miles on it (with some exceptions). If you registure it elsewhere, but are a CA resident, it doesn't work. If you are discovered, you cannot keep the car in CA.

However, if the car you are driving into another state is somehow destroyed so it is not reasonably repairable, then you can purchase any US-approved auto and bring it back. Again, go to the CA DMV website to see what you need. I'd believe that a junker that happened to lose its oil plug might self destruct right in front of a VW dealer.

However, VWoA has made it difficult to sell vehicles to CARB state residents. That's another problem....

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
But just make sure that whoever changed the oil at 5,000 miles used the correct (VW 505.01 rated) oil.
I can assure you that both of my 2004's has had the 505.01 oil change at 5000 Miles. The Jetta Wagon was done by me personally.

A non compliant 04 TDI must have 7500 miles on it at time of purchase from a previous owner or dealer. The vehicle must also have been registered and titled in another state. In other words, you can't find an 04 with say, 5000 miles on it and then acquire it with a properly signed off title and assume you can travel off the rest of the miles before registering it in CA. The CA DMV will deny registration and you will be totally SOL. Get caught pulling shannanaghans like registering out of state and getting pulled over in CA with a CA DL and then concocting a story which is found out not to be true = gray bar motel! Later!

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Is there anybody that lives in Oregon, that can help me buy a new jetta tdi.

I would put myself through it for you. That is if you would like a Silver GL W/Manual Trans. The local dealer just received one and I am first in line to drive it. I think I will be waiting for an '05 GLS though.

Maybe.

Ediot:

Or I have a Subaru Justy that you could buy and needs the oil changed. **Wink, wink**

HamsterBreath

TDI
5 spd Jetta wagon, 03, Indigo Blue
So - it appears that one can purchase a $200 car that can take you from CA to your VW dealer in Oregon or whereever, have it break beyond reasonable repair, and purchase your new car. Perhaps you want to tow the car near the dealer if it's really on it's last legs....
Better yet, buy a $200 VW on its last legs so that you can take advantage of the $1000 VW loyalty rebate. If all works out (and the loyalty program is still available) then that will get you a new Jetta TDI and you'll be $800 ahead. Just a thought...

Dave_D

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat Titanium Beige six speed manual & Jetta, 1999.5, Tornado Red
So it sounds like what desparate California residents need to do is:

1) locate their desired TDI in another state, preferably not
one neighboring California.

2) locate, purchase and tag in California an ancient VW for
as low a price as possible.

3) drive ancient VW to one block from dealer with desired
TDI, loosen oil drain plug to last thread, drive into
the dealer trailing oil with the engine siezing in their
driveway.

4) have ancient VW pushed into shop where a mechanic can see
that it is beyond all hope and will provide an acceptable
statement for California DMV.

5) Negotiate with salesman to purchase your new TDI taking
your VW loyalty money, purchase and have dealer handle
the paperwork to transfer tags from your dead VW to the
TDI.

6) Drive you new TDI home and enjoy.

Of course if you don't mind owning a used TDI you might be able to find one without having to jump through the above hoops.

d2305

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Ram EcoDiesel
Got any relatives in other states? I ran out of state tags there for a year without any problems (being a GI helped). Sounds like it would be much easier to get an 03.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Being a GI would allow for the out of state plates forever. Being a civilian is a different situation, at least in my neighborhood.

The 03 is easier. Or go to a reputable dealer (harveaux (sp?) or others that you know of) and get one with over 7.5K and don't sweat it.

Or wait for the 06's which are suppose to be available in CA.