Hood latch problems - both of them

jgunn

TDI
1999 Jetta IV TDI
I checked the forums first and found plenty of related threads, but none that still had active pictures, so here goes:

I believe both the primary and secondary latches on my hood are not working. I pulled the hood release and it didn't pop, but I was able to get the hood to "pop up" by giving it a firm tug, so I think the primary latch just needs some lubrication. However, at the same time, the secondary latch lever didn't pop out and when I reach in to pull it out, it moves freely as if it's not connected to anything. Looking inside, I can see that the primary latch has released and the hood has popped up, but there is still another latch holding the big hood ring solid so I can't open it.

I just want to get it open so I can refill my washer fluid and lubricate the latches to see if that fixes the problem but I can't tell how to manually release the secondary latch when I'm looking through the 1" slot between the hood and the grill.

Can someone post a picture of the mechanism, and/or describe how to do a manual release so I can open the hood?

Thanks in advance,

Jef

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
You can still open the hood "manually". Pop the hood, slide your finger in, to the left of the pull handle, between hood and lock carrier. Feel the part that moves when you pull/push the handle. It protrudes a bit on top. Press down on that one and lift the hood. It will open.

I take it that the handle in the car still unlocks the hood and that you can make the little plastic handle pop out one you wiggle the hood? If so, your lock/latch may only need a really good cleaning and then re-lubing. White lithium grease is good, once everthing is clean and moving easily.

Last edited:

rdean

TDI
Jetta, 2001, Bright Green, Jetta, 2002, Blue Lagoon (RIP)
THANK YOU!!! I can't believe how hard it was to find this simple solution! Bently gives no description of how this works! My handle pulled off last week and I just got it open!