hints for B5.5 TDI manual 5sp clutch job

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Anything I shoud look out for doing this job? I've done a GMR (heavy SOB) change once but no manuals. I have a lift, engine support bar and telescoping tranny jack but figure the manuals have quirks I should lookout for, weight not being one of them.

mozark

TDI
'05 Passat Wagon, Silver, 5sp '05 Passat Wagon, Indigo, auto
I did mine with the engine in the car, dropped the rear of the sub-frame. Not too bad, very tight quarters. Next one I might pull the engine and transmission and leave the sub-frame tight. Particularly if the engine needs much work or is particularly greasy/dirty.

The manual transmission is light and easy, plenty of room.
The clutch hard line is ridiculously difficult with the engine in. If you do it that way order a flex line before you begin.
Find the capacity and fill the transmission before you install it.

MM

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS BHW sedan 5 speed conversion. BHW Carver SantaCruz in progress
I don't have a lift at home so I pull the engine and trans as one with an engine cherry picker. Install the same way. I pull the cv axles from wheel hubs before removal.

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
pulled engine and trans on the ground, hardest part...pedals, clutch line, getting rid of steering angle and ABS light. clutch line is easy if you pull the entire master cylinder assembly.

dtrvler

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
I put the front up on jacks
Hooked chains to the pick points.
Loosened the subframe, mounts
Then i pulled the engine out the top
Easy to do the clutch right then.
I was doing a complete engine rebuild but it was pretty quick to get to the clutch that way. It was nice to have the engine hanging at standing working level to install the flywheel/clutch assembly. Only 70 ft/lbs torque on the ARP flywheel bolts, so not a problem while the engine is hanging.
I use cargo straps to precision position the engine angles to match the trans...and slip it back in.

Anyone have a source for the clutch disc alignment tool for clutch?

Last edited:

mozark

TDI
Anyone have a source for the clutch disc alignment tool for clutch?
[/QUOTE]

I modified a common plastic GM alignment tool that I had laying around. Turned down the splined section to fit the VW disc. Pilot dia was correct.

dtrvler

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Ill get one when i switch to the 1.8t clutch and flywheel with the south bend endurance treatment.

mozark

TDI
If I'm just doing the clutch, I pull the transmission. If its a full manual swap I would pull the front end and remove engine and trans as a unit. It takes me 2-3 hours to have the whole setup out. Makes installing the shifter box and clutch hose a bit easier
sensible

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Manual is a dream to pull compared to the GMR. I dropped my 6 speed in about 45 minutes, didn't even have to lower the subframe. I suspect 5 speed is the same?

dtrvler

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Im running the whitbread 30 lb fw and the clutch masters fx250 till it wears out. THEN Ill switch it out. Pretty sure you need you send in the PP tho

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes send pressue plate and clutch. No need to send flywheel if it's new but a must for turning if used.

Keep in mind these fit nicely in a flat rate shop box.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
Mine is a previously converted wagon. I just bought the 1.8t LUK DMF clutch from Cascade. Supposedly good for 300ft-lbs. Good price <$500, so we'll see.

Zambee500

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI GLS, 2014 NMS Passat TDI SEL Premium
I just bought the 1.8t LUK DMF clutch from Cascade. Supposedly good for 300ft-lbs. Good price <$500, so we'll see.
Me too. Shipped nearly 3 weeks ago and FedEx seems to have lost it. FedEx tracking showed scheduled for delivery by end of day on the 6th or 7th (can't remember), then the next day it went to estimated delivery date as "Pending". It also says shipment information sent to FedEx, like pre-shipment, so FedEx won't talk to me and instead refers me back to the shipper. I want to know what happened to the tracking history up until the day of scheduled delivery, as I watched it day-by-day go across the country. Then poof, it's gone.

I reached out to Aaron, so we shall see. The LuK DMF gets great reviews as an upgrade option. Price is right too.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow-hate to hear that. Mine was delivered without incident but the Fed EX box was ripped and had no bubble packing. I didn't get the pressure plate bolts and asked Aaron why but haven't heard from him.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
If you want it to hold might wanna throw it in a flat rate box and send it to the guys at south bend for an endurance treatment. I guess it's been about 2 years or more since I had them work my stock 1.8t valeo single mass clutch and pressure plate. Not a slip or issue. The clutch is very grabby, not as bad as an unsprung racing clutch but it's not a clutch you're going to be feathring at a traffic light. Pedal pressue is not changed. I put about to 300 to 350 miles mostly city traffic on my passat a week. I have a stage 2 tune but drive like its bone stock and its always Sunday afternoon. If you drive it like a kid with a vtec honda and a hot air intake then YMMV

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wouldn't let Southbend touch my LUK DMF setup. I had a Southbend SMF setup in an A4 with mods and stage 5 Malone . It held up well but was so grabby and chattery, I hated it.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Easier to pull it all. Gives you a chance to inspect the engine too.

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
easier even with my lift? I like easiest.

PickleRick

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't have any chatter issues with my south bend smf set up unless I'm feathering it. I just don't feather it. Then again the last time I had a fwd 5 speed she had a 6 puck unsprung clutch and 300 hp at 2600 lbs.

My clutch master fx300 daily driver/chatter/manners was miserable.