Highs, Lows and Fogs on at same time

fergiedsp

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
I did a search and could not find anything on this forum but on other VW forums it looks like this is done with VAG-COM.

I did this on my 2006 GMC Sierra, but it required a wiring harness to accomplish this.

Has anyone on here done this and if so is there someone near Baltimore, MD that has a VAG-COM that would want to meet up and let me use it?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
What the *** for?
If the weather conditions necessitate the use of fog lamps to adequately illuminate, then the use of high beams is detrimental under those same weather conditions.

No, I won't enable you to be an idiot.

Last edited:

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
Ouch lug...

How about for back roads driving (in good weather) when you just want maximum lighting output?

Sorry OP, I have no idea how to do this. Try vortex DIY/FAQ

fergiedsp

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
That was pretty harsh. I understand that it has no value in bad weather. I drive all back roads at night on the way from home and this would greatly improve my visibility. I did this on my truck and it is great, but only used when needed. All I was doing was asking a question.

pawel

Veteran Member
TDI
'09 TDI 6 MT, Platinum Gray Metallic, Anthracite Interior
I did a search and could not find anything on this forum but on other VW forums it looks like this is done with VAG-COM.

I did this on my 2006 GMC Sierra, but it required a wiring harness to accomplish this.

Has anyone on here done this and if so is there someone near Baltimore, MD that has a VAG-COM that would want to meet up and let me use it?
I have done it on my TDI. It can be done using VCDS (VAG-COM).

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
Its called flash to pass I believe and yes can be enabled using vag-com. you can also turn off the daytime running lights or turn them on depending if you are in Canada or the US.
Also you can enable the ejection seat for the passenger side using vag-com not very popular though you will need a moon roof though.

JERMS

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI auto *sold*, 2012 Jetta SE 5spd w/convenience&sunroof
That WAS a bit harsh.

I have my lights set up to where i can run with all of the above on as well. It is (nearly) a life saver when driving on an unlit interstate or similar high speed dark road. When you're driving out in the country, it is literally blackness everywhere and your headlights only stretch out maybe 75 or so feet in front of you. When you're going 70mph, that doesnt give you a lot of reaction time if you see something. Highs, lows and fogs on make a HUGE difference. Of course, turning off high beams when other drivers are around will make others not hate you.

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
I was thinking of wiring mine so when the highs are on so are the lows. I have my trucks setup like that and it helps to see at night.

Not many places around here that have streetlights. Where I live I have had to go get a flashlight to find my truck in the driveway :eek:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I was thinking of wiring mine so when the highs are on so are the lows. I have my trucks setup like that and it helps to see at night.
NOT a good idea if your 05 Jetta is a MkIV.

On the MkIV, the high and low filaments are contained in the same bulb capsule. Wiring the car so that lows are on with the highs will definitely cause damage that could include exploding headlight bulbs. Yes, I am serious.

If your 05 is a MkV, then highs are separate from lows and there are no problems with recoding the CECM to keep the lows on with the highs.

nate379

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta
It is a 4th gen but they are not factory lights and the high and low are seperate bulbs. H1 bulbs I belive.

lekolite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL
I'm with lug nut. High's + lows together I might grant you(probably not though, you lose contrast), but leave the fogs off. They really don't add anything under those circumstances. Justs wastes the bulbs so they arent crisp when you need them.

Really, if you find yourself needing more light farther down the road, your fogs and low beams are just compounding the problem as they make the stuff near you brighter, but the stuff farther away is still only lit by high beams. Your eye adjusts to the near stuff so the stuff far away seems even darker. Get yourself some driving lights.

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
Lekolite:

It is very seldom that ANYONE bothers to point this out. I take exception to your exception (i.e. MAYBE high+low) because there is also a huge loss of contrast when doing so.

I have to say that the biggest lack of understanding of automotive technology and safety on this continent (amongst a very long list) is lighting. To start with, the vast majority of what are sold as "fog" lights (and that includes the crap in the headlamp housing of VW MkIVs) are not fog lights at all, but simply some kind of auxiliary light that will dramatically reduce your ability to see anything other than what is far too close to avoid when they are turned on. REAL foglights are best used with NO other lights at all - and only when required. The Mickey-Mouse (appologies to Walt) excuses for headlamps we get aren't much better. I don't know what the OP has, but I would hazard a guess they are not Euro OEM HIDs. The solution if you want to see is to get decent lights - both main beams and if you really need more range - a decent set of driving lights. When you need to see down the road, all of the "foreground lighting" (that Americans so mistakenly want) is dramatically reducing the ability to see what is out at the limits of the high or driving beams.

fergiedsp

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Yeah I think I am going to shy away from this for now. I borrowed someones VAG-COM, following instructions to leave fogs on with high beams, but it must be from a different year. My MKV did not have that option. Maybe just invest in a better pair of driving lights to replace the OEM fogs.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
where did you get your fogs? dealer install or ECS?

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
for MKV's, the only way you can enable fogs with high beams via VCDS is when the fogs are powered through the CECM.

The ECS fogs are powered with a relay and the DriverGear one has a relay or control module (can't recall how it is wired off of the top of my head) --- which bypasses the CECM

fergiedsp

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
So I just had my fogs installed by the dealer but they must not be ran through the CECM. I had a VAG-COM hooked up and I noticed that the "Fog Lights Installed" check box was not checked and there was not option to "Fog lights stay on with Highs". Oh well.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
So I just had my fogs installed by the dealer but they must not be ran through the CECM. I had a VAG-COM hooked up and I noticed that the "Fog Lights Installed" check box was not checked and there was not option to "Fog lights stay on with Highs". Oh well.
Despite the MFA on the TDI, it still uses a midline CECM. You need a Highline CECM to power the fogs via CECM and do the appropiate coding via VCDS Long coding helper

fergiedsp

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Thanks all for all of your comments. I think I will just keep it the way it is for now and maybe eventually install some better headlights.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, 1999.5 Golf 2 dr
Ouch lug...

How about for back roads driving (in good weather) when you just want maximum lighting output?

Sorry OP, I have no idea how to do this. Try vortex DIY/FAQ
Pics of my Jetta are in the photo section. The way I have the lights wired, I can use any one set by itself all all together or any combination of all the lights. On the back roads of Southern Maryland (Calvert and Charles County), and the farm country of South Central Pa., they more than do the job I intended for them to do. On high beams, the effect is almost unparalled. However they are never used when on-coming traffic would be negatively affected. The Cibie' fogs, by themselves allow me to travel at about 45 - 50 MPH in pea soup fog.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm with lug nut. High's + lows together I might grant you(probably not though, you lose contrast), but leave the fogs off. They really don't add anything under those circumstances. Justs wastes the bulbs so they arent crisp when you need them.

Really, if you find yourself needing more light farther down the road, your fogs and low beams are just compounding the problem as they make the stuff near you brighter, but the stuff farther away is still only lit by high beams. Your eye adjusts to the near stuff so the stuff far away seems even darker. Get yourself some driving lights.
Amen to that, but do your research well, Determine what you want, then find the lamps that will fit that purpose. All driving lights are far from equal.

Intech

Veteran Member
TDI
Lekolite:

It is very seldom that ANYONE bothers to point this out. I take exception to your exception (i.e. MAYBE high+low) because there is also a huge loss of contrast when doing so.

I have to say that the biggest lack of understanding of automotive technology and safety on this continent (amongst a very long list) is lighting. To start with, the vast majority of what are sold as "fog" lights (and that includes the crap in the headlamp housing of VW MkIVs) are not fog lights at all, but simply some kind of auxiliary light that will dramatically reduce your ability to see anything other than what is far too close to avoid when they are turned on. REAL foglights are best used with NO other lights at all - and only when required. The Mickey-Mouse (appologies to Walt) excuses for headlamps we get aren't much better. I don't know what the OP has, but I would hazard a guess they are not Euro OEM HIDs. The solution if you want to see is to get decent lights - both main beams and if you really need more range - a decent set of driving lights. When you need to see down the road, all of the "foreground lighting" (that Americans so mistakenly want) is dramatically reducing the ability to see what is out at the limits of the high or driving beams.
Well said!! When I first went back to Germany, I was stunned by the excellent lighting on vehicles, cars, trucks and motorcycyles, in comparison to the sealed beam crap being sold here (thanks to an old antiquated 1934 law). When I came back to the states, I decided to replace the lights on my cars from then on. Starting immediately by replacing the lights on my VW Beetle with Porsche dual reflector headlights, and then, over the years with Amplilux (SEV Marchal), Z Beams and REAL Euro codes. The BEST set of fogs that I ever used were the Cibie' 195's (no longer in production). Today my "fogs" are Cibie' 95i's the closest replacement (beam pattern, depth, horizontal degree) to the old 195's.

When choosing lights/lamps, make sure that you know the beam pattern reflective distance, angle and depth. Don't be misled by Madison Ave. Hype