HID problems.

Oil_Burner

Veteran Member
I got some factory HID's in my 2001 Jetta. The older ones where the balast are seperate from the light unit. Now the drivers light starts blinking at start up as if it's not getting enough juice to turn it on. Tonight it blinked until I got up to highway speeds then after a while it came on. Anyone with experience around here? Do you agree that it seems like its a balast issue? If so, anyone know where I can get anothe balast?

Thanks,

Tom

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
I've been having a similar problem. My OEM HID's are the newer version with the integrated ballast but I use them all the time. I always hav my headlights on, day or night. For the past few months the passenger side light intermittently won't come on. I'll turn the switch off and on a couple of times and it'll come on eventually. Seems to be a random thing. I thought it was a result of ambient temperature during the Summer, then it started happening on some of the recent cold nights. I was about to order a set of aftermarket HID lights to swap into the lights but haven't got arouns to it yet, partly because I'm abit reluctant to replace it with non-OEM parts.

glitdi

Veteran Member
TDI
Tdi asv motor in a mk3 golf, om642 in a wk jeep
If they are true oem hid and wired properly you should be able to log into vcds and communicate with the ballasts. Or so I have been lead to believe.

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
A friend of mine had a custom car audio shop, He noticed most of the after market ballasts were also made by Philips..they supply to most auto manufactures. I know he has replaced the factory ballast in a few cars with the aftermarket units it can be done. Also sometimes the HID lights will also flicker if you have daytime running lights in a car that has factory halogen lights...the daytimes running lights sometimes are the high beams on low voltage...not enough to keep the ballast going so the lights will flicker or not come on at all...to correct this you need to wire in a relay for each ballast

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
When installing HIDs in our cars, one of the first things that has to be done is to disable the DRLs as the lower voltage could damage the ballasts. Because DRLs are a safety feature and legally required in Canada, I use the headlights all the time.

Interesting info on the ballast manufacturer being Philips. I'll have to shop around and see what I can find.

schwarze Käfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS 5spd
Before you go so far as to replace your ballasts or bulbs, check your bulb connector.
A dirty or loose connection at the bulb can cause the symptoms you describe.
Check inside the connector for dirt or evidence of carbon from arcing.
You can clean the connector with electrical contact cleaner spray. (allow it to dry completely before powering up).
Also, you can use a small precision screw driver to slightly bend the contacts inside the connector to better contact the bulb.

This may not be your problem, but I've seen it before. Good luck.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Philips does not make ballasts for HID for the automotive application. They make bulbs, but not the ballasts.

VW's, the ballasts are usually Valeo or Hella. VW's that have HID's and use the low beam as DRL have the DRL at full intensity.

back to Oil Burner: you'll have to swap bulbs to determine if it is a ballast issue or is it a bulb issue.