HID light kit and foggy lens covers

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
I don't think it is just uv that does it, but exposure to oxygen as well. Night and day between covered and uncovered lens parts.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
I don't think it is just uv that does it, but exposure to oxygen as well. Night and day between covered and uncovered lens parts.
the "corrosion" of plastic isn't oxidation like metals. It's degradation of the bonds in the molecular chains, which is caused by UV radiation.

there are UV inhibitor additives, that are added to plastics, but can only do so much.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d

abctdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat GLS
Clear Bra doesn't completely filter out the UV radiation that causes the polycarbonate to "fog" up. It is made that way by design, as when applied to painted surfaces, it allows the painted areas to "fade" with the rest of the paint.

Mine has fogged up, and it is even more noticeable when I had my passenger side headlight replaced from hitting a deer, as the driver side is still slightly yellowed.
Are you saying yours were covered by clear bra and they fogged up?
That is unforturnate for you because mine have not, except where the clear bra is not present.
How about some pix?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
Ahh, all Golf stuff. Can't quite make these stretch over the Passat lights.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
That's pretty close, not identical though. Reason I asked is that some will fit ok and they don't seem to fade out as bad as passat ones for some reason.

20IndigoBlue02

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf TDI-- deceased
Are you saying yours were covered by clear bra and they fogged up?
That is unforturnate for you because mine have not, except where the clear bra is not present.
How about some pix?

really hard to see in the pic, but there is a slight hazing on the right side (driver side) headlight.

the left side is fairly new.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
I can see a little bit, on the one on the right, towards the middle of the car, theres a slight haze. it's really tough to see, you have to zoom in and such.

CarlosVW

TDI
05 VW Passat 2.0L TDI /BHW engine code/ BSM deleted/ Malone Stage 2 Custom/ Stage 2 Colt Cam/ BV43A turbo upgrade/ Bosio 1043 Injector Nozzles
I've been running a DDM Tuning conversion kit 35w 4500k in our oem Hella H7 projectors for years now. Very easy to install and were stupid cheap. They are still burning same bulbs and ballasts today. Mind you I work evenings and 40-50% of my driving is at night. DDM is having a sale right now (no, I'm not affiliated with them).You do need to re-aim the beam if you go this route, up and bit to the right.
I'm thinking of upgrading to Hella E55 bixenon and will run 55w in either 4500k or 5000k. The bixenon is the way to go, more work and a little more money. Now a days Hella E55 bixenons can be had for less than a $100 and are plug and play with our Hella projectors. Just gotta cook off the lenses to get at them and add a wire to trigger the shade.
:cool::D
Did you have to get the error eliminator? Could I put these in my high beam?

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Hello everyone, bringing this thread from the past.

Any recent experience with these DDM Tuning HID kit in your low beam B5 Passats headlights with H7 35w bulbs?

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
As a follow up I would add that recently I ordered a kit from XenonHIDS.com and my independent VW technician did a mockup installation and he could not get them to come on. It will always blow the fuse. He went to a higher amperage fuse and no joy.

I am in the process of returning them.