HID Install - Canbus vs. Relay

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Going to install a set of HIDs into a set of Ed's lights. The setup I have came with a relay instead of canbus connectors. I've done a bit of reading, it sounds like Canbus would be easier to set up but a relay is better given the voltage requirements of the HIDs on startup. The question I have is... is a relay a better approach? Also when installing the relay is it ok to connect right to the positive side of the battery and ground to the frame or should I go to an empty post on the fusebox?

Chockomon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Going to install a set of HIDs into a set of Ed's lights. The setup I have came with a relay instead of canbus connectors. I've done a bit of reading, it sounds like Canbus would be easier to set up but a relay is better given the voltage requirements of the HIDs on startup. The question I have is... is a relay a better approach? Also when installing the relay is it ok to connect right to the positive side of the battery and ground to the frame or should I go to an empty post on the fusebox?
I've used the Canbus setup on the MK6 with Ed's lights - no flickering issues whatsoever.

The relay can be used for both setups, but I personally don't think it's necessary with a set of quality ballasts. If the relay kit came with a fuse, then go straight to the battery, if not, go to an empty post and add a fusible link or wiring in a fuse before connecting to the battery.

Also, I'd recommend using Vag-Com to turn off the bulb saving feature to ensure constant voltage to the ballasts :)

Check the New England regional forum on vwvortex to find someone local with VCDS if you don't have one.

emerscape

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Lux
Great thanks! Going to run the relay for sure. I'm planning on having KMH Motors doing the coding but it may be about a week or two until I'm able to get the coding done. Do you think that will be an issue?

Chockomon

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Well, since you'll be running the relays, I think you'll be OK but you will definitely get a bulb out error. Most HID relay kits use only the driver side or passenger side harness as a trigger, so the other side will remain unplugged causing a bulb out code.

Otherwise, you should be OK! Make sure you use a fuse!