hey all new to me Jetta

Brent_B

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6M
Hi all I bought a new to me 2001 Jetta gls tdi / 5 speed from someone on this board last week (great seller who really took care of his car BTW), never got a chance to check the fuel economy untill today. unfortunatly I am like a kid in a candy store and had to see what it was getting so there is not a lot of miles on this tank :) I drove down to Marrietta GA to help some of my fellow church members spreading the gospel at a fair and by the time I got back home in Chattanooga I had put on 246 miles. So I filled up to see how I did. I know its no record on here but I used 4.28 gallons of fuel! 57 MPG was way better than I expected! cruise set at 67 and A/C on to boot! I love these cars! my boss had given me some power service power kleen to put in the tank when I filled it with texaco diesel. So i did add that when I filled up.

Last edited:

mx07gt

Veteran Member
TDI
B5 Passat TDI
Brent_B said:
Hi all I bought a new to me 2001 Jetta gls tdi / 5 speed from someone on this board last week (great seller who really took care of his car BTW), never got a chance to check the fuel economy untill today. unfortunatly I am like a kid in a candy store and had to see what it was getting so there is not a lot of miles on this tank :) I drove down to Marrietta GA to help some of my fellow church members spreading the gospel at a fair and by the time I got back home in Chattanooga I had put on 246 miles. So I filled up to see how I did. I know its no record on here but I used 4.28 gallons of fuel! 57 MPG was way better than I expected! cruise set at 67 and A/C on to boot! I love these cars! my boss had given me some power service power kleen to put in the tank when I filled it with texaco diesel. So i did add that when I filled up.
so you put in an additive in your fuel tank??

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
Welcome to the club, Brent!

The Power Service is an additive lots of us use because of it's availability.

Remember the powerservice rule: Silver=Summer White=Winter (i know our winter are nowhere near canadian but from about late Oct./early Nov till about early March, I'd stick with the white bottle)

Red is for emergencies (fuel gelling) only.

Enjoy your newfound economy,

Brent_B

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6M
thanks everyone, I think I got a better fill up on the 4.28 than when I filled it prior to going on the trip since pumping such a small amount I didn't have near as much foam as the full tank fuel fill :)
I used http://www.powerservice.com/dk/ as an additive
filled with Chevron/texaco fuel

now if only I was patient enough to go a full tank before filling again! :) I had 4 or 5 one mile cold engine trips on that tank so I was shocked it did so good.

KALaBenne

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 B5.5V GLS
Brent, be careful with those short trips. Diesels don't like it when they don't get up to temp, take the long way around sometimes.

Click on the word 'vent' in my signature, it's the picture guide for the ventectomy. You'll be so happy you did it.

Brent_B

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE 6M
thanks,yeah the short trips stink. I am vented by the previous owner though.
I may have to take the long way around...I dont mind the drive anyways :)

OH I did take the bike rack off to, so I am sure that helped some.

Last edited: