Help

Tuzlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Platinum Grey Jetta
OK. So Im on the way in to town to get the daughter and there was a high pitched squeal that came from the engine bay. This happened several times, but as long as I didnt stress the car it seemed to work. Checked the oil and it was down, put 3/4 litre in it but the car seems to still be making the same noise. One think I did notice is that when it was in AUTO I couldnt make the noise reappear. But when it was in toptronic, and I was starving the engine of fuel the high pitched squeal came back. I also have a loud rumnbling that started the other day, this happens at idle speed when the transmission is in gear or neutral.

HELP, HELP, HELP

Tuzlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Platinum Grey Jetta
Not sure about the belt, as far as I can tell it's tight, but its hard to get at in the dark. Here is a picture of something I did find, anyone know what this is? Anyone near Cole Harbour that has a Vag-Com, see if theres any codes been thrown. No check engine light yet though.

Last edited:

sportsguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle DSG TDI
Year - how many KMS on the car.

Have you ever cleaned the intake? Pic looks like soot (maybe oil??? - is it dry or oily that stuff in the pic?) coming out from the intake - perhaps it's clogging up - hence the KMS question.

My first thought was loose belt too - maybe a dead bearing in the idler pulley?

To clarify, the TipTronic sid eof things shouldn't matter - it's still an autobox. ;) Though I'm sure there are some diferent solenoids inside from the regular autoboxes, but my gut tells me those aren't the issue here. (If you already knew this, please ignore me as I simply misunderstood your meaning above. ;) )

Plus, tell us the mix of driving you do - city/highway...

Tuzlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Platinum Grey Jetta
sportsguy said:
Year - how many KMS on the car.

2004, 137000 KM

Have you ever cleaned the intake? Pic looks like soot (maybe oil??? - is it dry or oily that stuff in the pic?) coming out from the intake - perhaps it's clogging up - hence the KMS question.

My first thought was loose belt too - maybe a dead bearing in the idler pulley?

To clarify, the TipTronic sid eof things shouldn't matter - it's still an autobox. ;) Though I'm sure there are some diferent solenoids inside from the regular autoboxes, but my gut tells me those aren't the issue here. (If you already knew this, please ignore me as I simply misunderstood your meaning above. ;) )

Plus, tell us the mix of driving you do - city/highway...
Intake cleaning, no. The black stuff is kinda dry but slightly greasy, but that is an aside (I think) to what the problem is.

As for belts, I dont know where they run un the car and would rather have someone that has messed with the engine show me. I understand the tranny tiptronic/full auto, its still an auto box, but thats what was happening. I drive the car hard when in tiptronic, and when in auto, its driven like an old granny.

Driving, its probably 50/50 as I live 15 KM outside if town.

Another note... I mentioned the rumbling at idle speed, this just started and I have no idea why.

Last edited:

roadhard1960

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta wagon GLS 5 speed

Tuzlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Platinum Grey Jetta
Just got back from fueling it up. Noise is still there, but I watched the Rev's and it seems like the squealing is happening randomly between 2000 and 2500 rpm. it does disappear when you slow down or give a little more gas and the revs increase slightly. As for the Bearings in a pullley, its quite possible, but I cant find that out by myself. Anyone available to help me?

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
Tuzlo said:
Anyone available to listen to this thing? Someone that hopefully has Vag-Com.
You know we have a V-C here but I don't know if I'd be able to diagnose anything for you. You're more than welcome to stop by sometime.

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
Tuzlo said:
Jeff, unless youre off one evening his week and available, I cat get over that way till Feb.
There's a guy stopping by tomorrow nite around 7. You can come by then if you like. I'm not looking for a late nite gtg, just a set of nozzles installed but we can have a listen and run a scan on yours if you like.

Tuzlo

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Platinum Grey Jetta
Yeah, I know about the pasaenger light, wife keeps naggin me and I keep forgettin..... selective hearing at its best.

Refresh my memory on the window treatment again. Forgot the name and where you got it done.

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
Tuzlo said:
P.S. Jeff. The squealin came back on the weay home.
Of course it did. Someonw wrote a law about that some time back... I think his name was Murphy. And speaking of him, it's his glass shop in Sackville that you're looking for! :cool:

kburrell

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Sounds like a belt or a pulley. The residue on your intake manafold could be particles from either, it is right by your serpentine belt. If you want to check the pulleys yourself, you can buy a stethescope at Princess Auto and listen to each pulley bearing.

thefyreman

TDI
'12 Jetta and '04 Jetta
EGR pipe?

Hey Tuzlo,

Did you ever get that squeal figured out?? I had a similar issue with my Jetta and it sounded like electronic feedback (like when you stand in front of a p.a. speaker while you are holding the microphone) and it would only occur as you described - at around 2000-2500 rpm. It turned out to be a crack in the EGR pipe (in the section that is 'accordionned'). The dealer replaced it several times (because the problem kept resurfacing) before they found out that when they had performed some recall work prior, one of the bolts had broken and wasn't holding to spec. At any rate, that solved the problem.
:)
Hey Fyrman, I promise I didn't copy your name - I've used this screen name for years on Firehouse.com, so I figured it would be easier to remember... I hadn't really browsed the forums before I registered. You a firefighter? I used to be a volly (21 years) in Md., but I moved to WV 5 yrs ago and I gave up the VFD.

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
thefyreman said:
Hey Fyrman, I promise I didn't copy your name - I've used this screen name for years on Firehouse.com, so I figured it would be easier to remember... I hadn't really browsed the forums before I registered. You a firefighter? I used to be a volly (21 years) in Md., but I moved to WV 5 yrs ago and I gave up the VFD.
Un-huh...

Yep. Been a firefighter with the Municipality of Halifax for almost 15 years. Been using this handle for nearly as long. Started back in my Rise of the Triads and Doom days! :p