Help with buying the right clutch

R32_Danny

TDI
Mk4 Golf ALH/ Mk4 R32
Lets talk TDI clutches.

My malone stg3 tune should be emailed to me any day this week I just sent Malone the stock map. Ill be installing my 520 pp nozzles and having them calibrated this week also. So far from what I read Sachs VR6 clutch kit mated with a 21lb, G60 single mass flywheel should hold. what are others running I want to make sure I order the correct clutch. Or should I just order the Sbc Stg2 daily or Bully Stg2 or 3.

Car is a 2002 ALH TDI with 183,000Kms

Current mods on the car
-gutted airbox K&N air filter
-2.5 inch turbo back catless no mufflers
-Sem bigger side mount (better known as the Taco taco sidemount)
-Pandcake delete
-520PP nozzles this week

There is other stuff but thats not motor related

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Just saw your post on IG. Big fan of the sachs Vr clutch you mentioned. Should hold your power fine. Even held my vnt17 and 1722 for a while. Just depends if you plan on any more mods.

Just keep playing with the R instead.

R32_Danny

TDI
Mk4 Golf ALH/ Mk4 R32
I just saw your reply. I dont plan to go more then this. I have the R32 to make it go faster :p I've had a few people say that clutch should do it and 2 people say it sucks and it started to slip in 6-8 months but its all based on how your drive too.

Whitbread

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Several
Back in the day, my vr6/g60 slipped with a tune, nozzles, and a lift pump. Since then I don't recommend them for anything but an absolute bone stock car that will stay that way. They're too unreliable in regards to holding power. Some get one that holds up to almost 200hp, others get one like mine that slips while still on a stock turbo.

The SBC 2 daily is one of the most common clutches I sell and install for a good reason.

p0wer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 3 -94 1Z 377hp, Golf 3 Cabrio 4-Motion 1.8T 620hp, Golf 3 Syncro 2.9 VR6 HX52, Bora AJM 4-Motion 2260vk +120% Firad, Passat 3B Syncro AFN 2260vk
The one and only, Sachs SRE pressure plate with VR6 disc (or SRE disc) and AHU style flywheel. Will keep everything you will ever have out from that engine, never had problems even with 650+Nm with non SRE disc. Main dirrefence between normal and SRE disc is, that SRE has more stiffer springs and it´s mechanically rated for higher torque, friction is same. If you use lot 600+Nm torque and you drive a lot too, SRE disc may be a good option.

Once i had non SRE disc and SRE pressure plate on 500Nm engine for 200 000km. Replaced disc once again on ~200 000km when i changed tranny, but it wasn´t even wear out much. Didn´t had any issues that far too.

Last edited:

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
I had a South Bend Stage II Endurance that worked great for 60K miles till a mechanical failure. My replacement was a stock VR6 clutch - simply because I was under a time constraint and could not get the SBII delivered the same day I ordered it from a local supplier.

The VR 6 clutch I have now holds at 285 lb/ft but slips with my 313 lb/ft tune.

When this clutch fails, I will replace with a South Bend Stage II Endurance or better. To me it is worth the extra money for the stronger clutch. Way to expensive to do a clutch job all over again.

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI
Guess I was lucky with my VR clutch as it held up to 200hp almost. I still put them in every customer's car I manual swap. Most of those cars stay stock though.

Good piece of mine to go SB. I run one of their 6spd kits in my jetta now.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I run the southbend stage 2 endurance in 2 of my Passat B5.5's that have stage 2 Malone tune and my hot rod Jetta ALH. The Jetta has over 240k on the southbend clutch and makes plenty of power with its Kerma tune and supporting mods ;)

My lifted Beetle with just a 10mm pump, VNT17, and Rocketchip tune slipped the VR6/G60 combo in 5th gear so it also got a southbend stage 2 endurance. I'll be upgrading my 7.3 PS Superduty 6 speed clutch with southbend soon.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have a SB Stage 2 Daily driver with the first 25k miles or so on a Stage 3 vnt-15 tune, and I now have a 17/56 with .230 nozzles, and the clutch is rock solid. I will imagine I am at 300 torque or greater now and could not be happier.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Talk to Aaron at Bora Parts for some info on the DC clutches. I put one in my car and love it. IMO it holds more power than a comparable SB clutch, and for roughly the same price.

PGM jetta

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta BEW
Talk to Aaron at Bora Parts for some info on the DC clutches. I put one in my car and love it. IMO it holds more power than a comparable SB clutch, and for roughly the same price.
X2 on the DC clutches. I have about 25K miles on my stage 2 and love it. Smooth engagement and haven't had it slip yet on me

Krzano

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 GOLF TDI 5spd.
I have a stage 3 tune with a DC clutch from Bora parts. Good pedal feel and holds the power just fine.