VAG-COM Version: Release 404.0-S

Control Module Part Number: 028 906 021 BK
Component and/or Version: 1,9l R4 EDC SG D5O
Software Coding: 00000
Work Shop Code: WSC 00000
5 Faults Found:
00575 - Intake Manifold Pressure
17-10 - Control Difference - Intermittent
00765 - Modulating Piston Movement Sensor (G149)
35-00 - -
00310 - CAT Temperature Sensor 1 (G20)
30-00 - Open or Short to B+
00777 - Accelerator Position Sensor (G79)
27-00 - Implausible Signal
00312 - CAT Control Temp Sensor 2 (G132)
"

OK, started exactly like normal this morning, backed out of the driveway, accelerated to around 2,500 (by sound and feel) rpm in first then engine turned off as if a switched was flipped.

Tried to restart, turns over well, but no firing. No bad sounds. I am convinced that the problem is electrical.

Recent history...
Changed timing belt, water pump, accessory belts, oil, oil filter and air filter (7/17).

Drove about 1,900 mile round trip to Oshkosh, WI for EAA Fly-In (saw a bunch of TDI's will post about a TDIClub-EAA connection sometime.) last week.

Drove to work Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday as normal.

Any help would be appreciated!

My father is out of town for a couple of weeks, so I could borrow some parts (MAF maybe) from a '97 Passat TDI Sedan for testing purposes.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Ben,
Sorry you're having problems. How are your relay 109 and your ignition switch? Both could cause the car to die suddenly but are not necessarily related to the other problems.

The 0765 and 0777 codes are unfamiliar to me. The other codes are nothing to panic about - certainly wouldn't cause a no-start.

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
IIRC, the 96 passat had a 5th injector to squirt fuel onto the CAT to keep it hot. Part of the emissions system. Used temperature sensor(s) in the CAT to help regulate the flow. VW ripped all this crap out the following year and put out a TSB to disable it in the 96. So I would ignore the CAT temp errors (reset and forget).

If the throttle position sensor is disconnected, the ECU will hold the engine aat a fixed value, like 1500rpm. It's either dirty or broken.

MORE_MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 1996, Grey
jck66,
- Thanks for the response! I have a newer Relay 109 and did the ignition switch recall within the last couple of years. My hope is that that means I can rule these out. Not really sure of anything right now.

weedeater,
- Thanks! I addressed the 5th injector with a modified ball bearing technique (set screw in the hose). I have never gotten the CAT temp faults before. I expect that has something to do with when it died (right after start up).
- As for the throttle position, VAG-COM seems to indicate approximatly the correct percentage.

- Interestingly, the MAF reads 847.9 mg/R even with the engine off. <font color="red"> Does anyone know what their MAF indicates when the engine is off? </font> Also, the temps are odd (negative) Coolant = -22.5C, Fuel = -22.4C, Intake Air = -18.9C. Anyone know why they are negative?

Thanks!

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
In my (admittedly limited) experience, getting wacky values out of sensors usually indicates an open circuit. So maybe you have a grounding wire that's come loose. Do you have a wiring diagram (i.e. Bentley manual) that might point you to a common grounding point for these sensors?

grimlock

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan, Black
BK ECU Ordered, waiting for FedEx ground for 8 days! I should have asked for overnight!
You should check with your local VW dealship -- There is a TSB (as mentioned above) that replaces your ECU & injectors to help reduce mega smokescreen.

I have the same ECU# as yours except, GQ not BK. I also checked with the dealer, where the previous owner had his work done, that the ECU and injectors were changed...

But I guess you could just leave it, and plug your fifth injector if you haven't already done so...

Richard

MORE_MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 1996, Grey
OK, I haven't gotten the new ECU, but I unplugged the VanAkins box and it started, but it default mode idling at 1300 RPM. So, great, maybe I can get to work in default mode. SO, I moved the truck (shut down the TDI using the same keyring) so I could see you it felt to actually drive that way. Went to start it and nothing, as before.

ECU tomorrow, FedEx says "At local FedEx facility"!!!

MORE_MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 1996, Grey
AGAIN! - Faults - Engine Died...

Hello,
- New BK ECU was installed about 1,230 miles ago. About 960 without the Van Aakins Smart Box then on the next fill up I plugged if back in. I drove about 270 miles and it died again
!
- Below you'll see the 5 faults that appeared prior to clearing them and then the 4 that show after clearing the codes.
- I really think that there must be a root cause. Harv. is sending to me another BK unit. His thought based on the Cat. temp sensor faults that maybe I should use the 330 ohm resistor trick and try to eliminate those faults, but that there must be something else going on. I'll get the next one Wed. or Thurs.
- Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Ben

9/12/2004

5 Faults Found:
65535 - Internal Control Module Memory Error
00-00 - -
35-00 - -
00539 - Fuel Temperature Sensor (G81)
30-10 - Open or Short to B+ - Intermittent
00741 - Brake Pedal Monitoring
27-10 - Implausible Signal &#8211; Intermittent

4 Faults Found:
35-00 - -
00310 - CAT Temperature Sensor 1 (G20)
00312 - CAT Control Temp Sensor 2 (G132)

vchaudha

Veteran Member
TDI
3 TDIs

HI all
Please let me know too what happens in this case - I have a CEL on for the last 50K miles with the error code 65535. I have had this error code reset many times (with $$ every time) but the CEL comes back within a mile of leaving the garage. I dont feel any difference at all in how the car runs or feels. Went to VW Valenti (in CT) svc shop and they also gave me the error code 575 in addition to 65535. Their advice was to spend abotu $3-4K as they dont know what the problem was and told me that i should replace teh ECU, also work on the Turbo etc.
Thanks much
Vinny

bowlerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi black

65535 means u need a new computer and 00575 is probably a clogged intake

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI

Replace all the vacuum hoses, including the one INSIDE the ECU, and both codes will probably go away.

You may still have a clogged intake, though.

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan

Bruce, does the advice hold to replace the hose inside the ECU even if it looks fine? I just opened up my BK ecu and looked at the hose (because of advice from this site) and it looks perfect. It also holds vacuum just fine. I was putting in a new cabin air filter (didn't have one when I got the car) so I decided to pull the ECU and have a look while I was up in that area.

What happens to this hose? Does it crack and leak?

vchaudha

Veteran Member
TDI
3 TDIs

Thanks guys - I will try to perform these hose replacements and update the forum
Regards
Vinny

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI

Bruce, does the advice hold to replace the hose inside the ECU even if it looks fine? I just opened up my BK ecu and looked at the hose (because of advice from this site) and it looks perfect. It also holds vacuum just fine. I was putting in a new cabin air filter (didn't have one when I got the car) so I decided to pull the ECU and have a look while I was up in that area.

What happens to this hose? Does it crack and leak?
Either cracks and leaks, or develops a pinhole.

Try this. Take it loose, and stretch it lengthwise a little. Do you see little cracks on the surface, especially where the little spring clamps are? If so, probably near the end of it's life.

One thing. May hold a vacuum fine, but leak when pressure (boost) swells the hose a bit.

If I'm inside an ECU, I just proactively change them to silicone. I keep scraps in my parts box for this.

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan

Either cracks and leaks, or develops a pinhole.

Try this. Take it loose, and stretch it lengthwise a little. Do you see little cracks on the surface, especially where the little spring clamps are? If so, probably near the end of it's life. . .
A-ha! OK, now I know what to look for! I must admit that I didn't pull on it, so there could be some tiny cracks that I didn't see. Never even thought of a pinhole leak. Thanks for educating me on this one!

When you install the silicone hose, do you use any clamps, or is there enough interference with the nipples to keep the hose in place? I just redid all of my vacuum lines with the silicone hose so I have plenty of pieces left over.

I do realize that the line uses pressure but I didn't want to use my 120psi air gun to test it. Usually for low-pressure testing (like for checking my wastegate actuator the other day) I just take a small air tank and fill to the maximum pressure that I want to test at--that way, there is no possibility of overpressurizing anything. But if the leak is really small, it will be difficult to find and I certainly wouldn't want to spray soapy water into the open ECU to check it--maybe dab it onto the hose with a cotton swap or the like.

So your advice to just change the hose and be done with it certainly makes sense now (I chafe at the idea of changing parts "just because" so I want to understand why I am doing it).

paramedick

TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI

If the clamp fits on the silicone, fine, use it. If you feel the need for a clamp, a small ziptie works fine.

Me? The silicone hose fits tightly on the nipples. Good enough.