Help! New Tires Too Noisy!

PappyD

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Note: posted this in the MkV area. Since then I checked the rear wheel bearings- tight with no play. Trying to diagnose this...

I have a 06 Jetta Tdi. Needed new tires to replace the Pirelli P6's with 60k on them.

Picked up some Yokohama YK580's at Discount Tire. I went a little bigger than the stock 205-55/16 with 225-50/16. That is supposedly the most one can upsize on the OEM 16" rim. I liked the look of the "bigger" tire.

The Yoko YK580 was much too loud. First thing my wife said when she rode with me was "what's with the noise?"

So a few days later I return the tire to Discount Tire. I paid another $240 to get Michelin Primacy HP's. This was what was available in the size I wanted.

The Primacy HP's are even noisier! It's like from 35-55 mph the tire creates a harmonic wah-wah-wah- that almost sounds like a wheel bearing but is definetly the tires. The tire guy said the HP's would be "really quiet". ???? The reviews for both tires were good with above average ratings for noise. I had the Pirellis when new and don't ever remember noise being an issue.

I can go back to the store but I'm thinking this has to be something else and not just the tires.

Ideas?

vdubdezl

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Honda Odyssey EX-L
You have enough miles on the car where it could possibly be wheel bearings. Try making the car "slightly" swerve back and forth on a deserted road. Then you can tell if it is one side or the other.

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
Put a set of Cooper Cobra XST 215/60HR15's on the '99 Passat we had, and they weren't bad tires except that they howled like a cat getting its tail pulled off on certain pavement types, and were just noisy the rest of the time. Driving from Salt Lake City west to Wendover my wife and I thought we were going to go nuts from the noise. Unless the dealer will take them back, the only solution is to bite the bullet and buy some other tires. Talk to Discount Tire and see what they'll do for you.

Last edited:

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
We have 215-55/16 Continental Extreme DWS on the Passat; they are quiet and they grip like the car is on rails. My $0.02.

PappyD

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5 spd
Case Closed

Problem solved! Yesterday I jacked the back end up and checked BOTH rear wheels. The previous day I checked only the left rear because I would have sworn that the noise was originating from the left rear. Left wheel was tight. Took the wheel off and it had just a little resistance from the brake pads. Thought "this is OK..." Went to the right rear. Tire was tight, no play at 6 and 12 oclock. BUT, try and spin the tire and it was BAD. Took the wheel off and confirmed it- the bearing was shot!

What puzzles me is I don't remember having a lot of noise prior to the new tires. The right rear was the worst of the 4 but not by much. When driving the car I couldn't get the sound to change by swerving/turning back and forth to load and unload. So, if it were a wheel bearing, then it must be in the rear, I thought.

Now I feel a little sheepish about swapping out the Yoko's for the Michelin's. (even though I did pay more for the Primacy HP's) I will follow up with the store- maybe it will help the next guy with "noisy tires".

Happy Ending- The 10 mile ride home from my favorite car shop was awesome! The Jetta was real q u i e t... Just some wind and slight road noise. I felt like I had a new car! :cool:

PS- Thanks to all that commented and offered advice!

Moderator- you can close this thread!

spesh

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 9k Caddy TDI (ALH)
Do you guys not have tyre noise ratings in the usa? Ours are rated on rolling resistance, wet weather and noise. Rolling resistnace and wet weather are on a A-G scale and noise in standard DB.

Found the primacy HP listed..

Fuel Eff.: E Wet Grip: B NoiseClass: 2 Noise: 70dB

So pretty crappy rolling resistance.

cant find the yoko listed in the UK but the Advan Sport in that size is as follows

Fuel Eff.: E Wet Grip: B NoiseClass: 2 Noise: 71dB - pretty much the same.

edit - seems to be just a European thing http://www.blackcircles.com/general/tyre-labelling

Last edited: